I've Grown to Hate This Phone

T Moore

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
We have two 920's on AT&T that were preordered when they were released. No problems with either one, both batteries last a full day
My wifes first smartphone. She uses it, a lot and loves it. At least fout other teachers at the school have gotten 920's because of her. No compalints from any of them.
I just want the updates to show up on AT&T. She wants the clock at night.

bilzkh

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
I'm nearly 12 months into my first and only Lumia 920 (for Rogers). Wasn't a perfect ride, but it was as good nonetheless.

nycny

Nov 27, 2009
Visit site
The Lumia 920 is the first phone that has ever had me excited enough to preorder. When I first received it, I loved it. I liked the heft and solid feeling to the phone. I was impressed with the low light camera; and found my first foray into windows phone to be enjoyable.

I'm now on my 3rd Lumia 920. The first one bricked on the third day. The second had severe battery drain that I dealt with until finally a speaker went out on it. I'm about 5 months into the 3rd one and I just can't stand the battery drain anymore. Just this afternoon it drained from 90% to 30% in 1.5 hours while I did nothing but listen to music with the screen off. I hardly ever make it through the day, or even to the end of work day, with battery life left. AT&T offered to give me a 4th one, but I just don't feel like going through the trouble.

Now I'm just waiting for the Nexus 5 to come out so I can get rid of this phone. I still enjoy windows phone ok, although I have a lot of small complaints, but I just can't take the phone anymore.

Ugh

I got ATT to force upgrade me from a NL900 WP7 due to it was EOL before six months of ownership.
I'm on my second NL920. First one had intermittent headphone, speaker problems, battery drain.
Battery drain was varied, mostly when performing processor, gpu intensive tasks such as games and videos, games mostly.
Of course, I went through all the recommended steps, completely drain and recharge battery a few times to teach phone battery limits. That eventually settled out.
I had dropped the phone just prior to the audio issue, and started experiencing audio out problems with the headphone jack and front speaker.
I do believe the internals of this phone are secured with very sticky tape or heat glue.
What I'm thinking is that the combination of heat from the battery drain and shock misaligned components at the top of the phone where heat is greatest.
Oddly, just prior to replacements arrival, repeatedly inserting and remixing headphone plug aligned the jack, so there was no apparent problem anymore.
My second NL920 had a similar experience. Battery life and audio.
Also ran through full charge drain recharge sequence a few times.
Battery life is now acceptable, around 10-16 hrs.
As far as the audio is concerned, I inserted removed headphone plug multiple times and the parts are working better

Andy BITW

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
I have never got a Drain on my 920 got it last DEC. but the past 2 months the sim has dropped and stopped to work so i had to take it out and re set it. But now i dont even get bars and nokia wants me to send it away but they dont tell me where to send it so i will just go to the ATT store and see if they care about me cause this is getting annoying. But i will always love windows but no apps and bad smartphone and the 1520 will just be the LG g2 just bigger i have lost interest in WP ios seems to call my name with the 5S.

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
The only issue I had so far, with my Lumia 920 is the loss of the accelerometer after the last software update. I contacted Nokia directly and they replaced it. My wife's Lumia 920 lost its flash. Its still broken ...

actually, since amber for me, I noticed my accelerometer gets wonky (doesn't know I'm in landscape) and my flash turns off after some time using the flashlight app. The complete fix for either is a reboot for my phone.

imacad

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
I get that on occasion too but chalk it up to flaky Win8 OS... I've had days (yesterday) drain to 79% from a 5am-6pm time window w/a some use of the phone.. while some times, it is in the gym locker for 2 hours and I drain 60% of the battery.
After a full reboot, the problem seems to go away. I think it is OS related and less hardware and some apps are battery pigs with memory leaks drawing on the battery. I wish they made a way to ensure that apps can be killed off along w/their processor resource.

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
Gone through five 920s alone, my dad going through his second replacement, mom went through one, my niece went through one, and antoher family member on my plan had his not work out of the box.

Battery drain, FFC dust, no lte connectivity, constant restarts, blue line on the screen, more battery drain. All of these on different phones. Nokia decided to give me a 1020 for my troubles and went through an exchange, had some LTE connectivity issues. Got the replacement, haven't returned my defective 1020, but so far, a cuople or random restarts and some battery drain.

nokia got some qc issues if you ask me.

I Unquello

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
RE: Battery drain

In my experience the biggest drain (background apps, NFC, etc) is the network. Period. I get a solid 24 hrs on average with phone (as long as I'm not on Wordament for too long :wink:). So for an experiment 2 weekends ago, I shut the network off (4G LTE) and relied on WiFi only, unless I needed a media message to come through. I also abstained from Wordament during this time period. Other than that, I used the phone like normal; calls, texts, browsing, etc. Not super heavy usage, but not light either.

Results: I made it 72 hrs on 94% of my battery. I couldn't believe it!

nycny

Nov 27, 2009
Visit site
Today I'm kind of at work, where I use my company phone and off work due to an injury.
So I'm able to use this phone on a normal relaxed weekday mode.
I've made a few calls to friends, received and replied to several work email, took a picture of a medical form and sent it to the boss.Read email, visit this and other forums, general web browsing.
The Lumia 920 on ATT was taken off charger this morning around 6am, it's around 8pm now and I've got 20% charge left. Battery Sense indicates at my current level of use, I have a little over 1 hour left. That would make today 14hrs.
Pretty acceptable in my world

Only Mama Knows

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
I love those whose advice to fix battery issues is to "turn off all the things that make you want a smart phone." I don't use NFC and bluetooth so I leave those off. However, turning off things like LTE, background tasks, live tiles, etc. is not a solution, it's pretending the problem doesn't actually exist. If the phone can't do the things the phone is advertised to do, then there is a problem with the phone. If I wanted to turn off live tiles, LTE, etc. then why get a WP or 920 to begin with. Makes no sense.

Only Mama Knows

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
RE: Battery drain

In my experience the biggest drain (background apps, NFC, etc) is the network. Period. I get a solid 24 hrs on average with phone (as long as I'm not on Wordament for too long :wink:). So for an experiment 2 weekends ago, I shut the network off (4G LTE) and relied on WiFi only, unless I needed a media message to come through. I also abstained from Wordament during this time period. Other than that, I used the phone like normal; calls, texts, browsing, etc. Not super heavy usage, but not light either.

Results: I made it 72 hrs on 94% of my battery. I couldn't believe it!
This would be true with any phone. If you turn off the network, OF COURSE you're going to get better battery life; however I expect to make it more than 1/2 day with the network turned on.

david90531

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
Sad that you can't like it. Because I have to say I truly love this phone, and with all the constant updates I'm loving it even more. I don't experience most things you mentioned. The only complaints I have would be the heating issue, and also the phone is a bit on the bulky side (I don't like super thin/light phone either though).

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk HD

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb