I've Grown to Hate This Phone

Only Mama Knows

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
The Lumia 920 is the first phone that has ever had me excited enough to preorder. When I first received it, I loved it. I liked the heft and solid feeling to the phone. I was impressed with the low light camera; and found my first foray into windows phone to be enjoyable.

I'm now on my 3rd Lumia 920. The first one bricked on the third day. The second had severe battery drain that I dealt with until finally a speaker went out on it. I'm about 5 months into the 3rd one and I just can't stand the battery drain anymore. Just this afternoon it drained from 90% to 30% in 1.5 hours while I did nothing but listen to music with the screen off. I hardly ever make it through the day, or even to the end of work day, with battery life left. AT&T offered to give me a 4th one, but I just don't feel like going through the trouble.

Now I'm just waiting for the Nexus 5 to come out so I can get rid of this phone. I still enjoy windows phone ok, although I have a lot of small complaints, but I just can't take the phone anymore.

Ugh

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Sounds like you're having a run of bad luck. I have a 920 as well and have never experienced the problems you describe. My battery life is great (with the odd exception of two days early this month when it drained ridiculously fast) and my phone has never bricked.

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
Are you streaming music or playing music stored on your device? Cause if your streaming, that amount of battery loss sounds inline.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Mine drains. Biggest reported WP8 issue is battery drain across Lumias. So something occurs that impacts some people - likely the apps they use.

For instance, one guaranteed way to drain my battery is to play the game Defense Zone. I play it, exit out using the back button several times. Battery drains.

Only Mama Knows

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Are you streaming music or playing music stored on your device? Cause if your streaming, that amount of battery loss sounds inline.
Locally stored. Doesn't always happen with music. Sometimes with the Kindle app, sometimes with Facebook, sometimes when I haven't used it in hours.

Complain and ask for compensation for your troubles. They may replace it with a 1020.
Complain to who? AT&T just offered me another refurbished 920, which I certainly do not want. I guess I could complain to Nokia, but last time they just sent me to AT&T

revfast

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
you are not the only one, see my thread below

http://forums.windowscentral.com/nokia-lumia-920/242483-lumia-920-sales-should-halted.html

now even though after all my issues I will be sticking with the phone, I have an s3 and an iphone 5 just sitting on my desk and every time I try to use them I get irritated by the interface.

I was really hoping that GDR2 would fix these issues but drain is still there, for the last two days I've kept wifi and bluetooth off and I seem to get less battery drain (overheat).

caesar500

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
I had 7 Lumia 920s and convinced At&t to give me a 1020. Unfortunately, I will request another 1020. This one has been problematic over the last 2 weeks. It has been extremely frustrating. Nokia has put out some bad units and At&t can't fix them properly.

HM02

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
Still on my first Lumia. After 8 months now and it's still great. Battery lasts me from around noon when I unplug it until about 5am. Then I plug it in and repeat.
You're just one of the unlucky ones. I've been nothing but pleased with it. Only 4 more months with it though, cus I'll be upgrading to the 1020.

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
You need to check the apps you have running in the background. I had excessive battery drain on my 920 as well. I turned off a couple of the apps that were running in the background, voila! No more battery drain.

crav4speed

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
You need to check the apps you have running in the background. I had excessive battery drain on my 920 as well. I turned off a couple of the apps that were running in the background, voila! No more battery drain.

This!

I basically have any app that doesn't have a live tile on my start screen or that I just don't want running in the background set to blocked. No sense in have the background task running if it's not required. My battery life has been acceptable. When I'm at work, I just throw the phone on the wireless charger when I'm not using it... Very convenient!

JiroJarin

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
I think phone made for at&t have issues. There are lots of complains about the lumias on another forums and sad to say almost all of their phones came from at&t

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
It could be related to phone reception or something.

My phone, my wife's phone, and my best friend's phone were all experiencing extreme battery drain the past few weeks.

My wife and I went to San Diego for a weekend and our phones stopped draining battery. I used it as much as a I usually do, but the phone was 75% full after about 10 hrs.

Jaripi

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I think that a such better choice is different for everyone. Anyway, I've grown to love my red Lumia 920 and my next phone might be Lumia 1020 (I would prefer a red one with 64 Gb, so have to wait)

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I bricked my first one when I tried resetting it.

My 2nd one has been going nearly a year now. No issues.

The only battery drain I have is if NFC is turned to tap+send, and if facebook messaging is turned on.

If those are off, then my phone's batter is great!

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Really sad to hear, I guess it makes me appreciate my phone more cos it hasn't had any problems since I bought it last November :/

montsa007

Ambassador
Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
Do you have 4G switched on all time or live in an area with bad/poor signals?
Also is your facebook chat/Skype signed in all time?

barareklam

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
I guess you have searched for battery drain. I know this is out of the blue, but I live in city (Gothenburg, Sweden,) where we have good 4G (LTE) coverage. During the day I usually leave city and are on the edge of 4G coverage, which makes my L920 search for 4G all the time, sometimes it finds it sometins not. But all that Drains my battery, maybe not in 1,5 hour but I can clearly see how it is less and less battery Power. I have turned off 4G. battery Life lenght is much longer now. I am just saying maybe it is not L920 only, maybe it is location where your provider (was it AT&T) give you hard time. Here on forum you can find many tips how to save battery, and on conversations.Nokia too. Hope this helps :)

EDITED: (I see now that while I was Writing my reply, you got similar suggestion)

Mike_J

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I run 7 x Lumia 920's, 1x 925, 2x 1020, 1 x 720 & 2 x 620. No major issues with any of the phones but will admit that on occasions the 920 randomly seems to drain battery quickly but is a rare occurrence. If I see it happening just a soft reset and all is good. I have found that it make a HUGE difference if you have decent cell reception. One of our stores has very poor reception indoors, if on cell services only it would drain a battery in a matter of a few hours but connect the phone to local wifi and it would last well over 24 hours - incredible difference if you can log onto a wifi service!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb