Lumia 920 won't connect to PC

darkest.white

May 12, 2013
Visit site
So here's the story, me and my girlfriend both have Lumia 920s, she wanted to add more music to her phone, connects it to the computer, unlocks her phone and it doesnt show up under my computer. In device manager it comes up as (something like this, i dont have her phone with me ATM) MTP device. (along those lines anyways). However my lumia 920 connects with no issues. If I plug in her phone yet again, under devices and prints i can clearly see her phone and it is recognized, but still, no file explorer available.

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the device drivers with no luck. Any ideas?

and thank you in advance to this awesome windows phone community :)

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
I'm having the exact same problem now, only my computer runs Windows 7. Very annoying.

I found a solution for this that worked for me. Try rebooting the phone. I had my 920 connected to my laptop and decided to try rebooting and it connected like normal again afterward.

Last edited:

KRayn3r

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
I had a similar issue. Basically I connected my 920 to my laptop, it showed up but was not accessible. Turns out when you use a password on your phone it is inaccessible even when plugged into a PC. I thought that was rather clever. I never used a password until recently, hence the initial confusion.

rbgamblin

May 16, 2014
Visit site
I had a similar issue. Basically I connected my 920 to my laptop, it showed up but was not accessible. Turns out when you use a password on your phone it is inaccessible even when plugged into a PC. I thought that was rather clever. I never used a password until recently, hence the initial confusion.
I have a problem very similar to this one, but I do not use a password for lockscreen and never have.
My phone will connect on a random computer at school, but not my home laptop. Any help? Win 7 OS on both machines

For the record: I have tried restarting the phone while connected to laptop, and that did get the machine to recognize the it was connected at all, but it is still not available for files browsing via Windows Explorer, and Windows Phone App still does not recognize phone connected.

somethyme

Jul 7, 2014
Visit site
I have the same issue with my Lumina 928 (OS=Windows 8). When I plug it into my Asus Q550LF (OS is Windows 8.1), the PC's "Devices and Printers" page shows it as "not connected," even though the phone indicates that it's connected to a charging source. (Strange, because I've done this previously without any problem.) Both phone and PC are fully updated. I've tried rebooting the phone while it's connected to the PC, but that has no effect. (I've also rebooting the PC.) Any other ideas out there?

Brette Inman

Jul 31, 2015
Visit site
Is there any way around this?? I had a stupid pass code on my phone, busted the screen (phone will come on, but doesn't let me into anything) and can't access anything! So sad :(

Alan024

Apr 5, 2016
Visit site
I had the same issue and found this thread while looking, my issue is that the usb3 port of my pc would only charge the phone, no other options available however when I moved the usb cable to a usb 2 port everything worked as it should, phone companion, import photos etc, strange considering the cable supplied with phone is fast charge usb c type yet in doesn't work in the fastest port on my pc.

hope this helps someone out

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss