Text message character limit

Pastorhss

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
Until 5 days ago, I had a Lumia 900. Texting gave me 140 characters per single message. Now with the 920, I only get 70 per message.

Anyone know why? :unhappysweat:

nohra

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
If you're using smilies, I think that can change how many "characters" you have available in a text message. I see 70 if I have a smiley in there, but 160 if I don't.

khunhorm

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
Setting > Network+ > SMS character set

If it is set to full, it will allow foreign languages but reducing the length of the SMS by half.

If you want 140 characters, simply set it to reduced.

Pastorhss

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
Setting > Network+ > SMS character set

If it is set to full, it will allow foreign languages but reducing the length of the SMS by half.

If you want 140 characters, simply set it to reduced.

Wow. I had not seen this. It is at Full and I do use Spanish, too. I will check it out, plus try Reduced.

Kimdawn78

Feb 18, 2016
Visit site
What's the rationale behind it? Why was it introduced in Lumias?

Ok, so I've done a little research on this. From what I understand, when you add a special character, such as a smiley or other emojis, to a msg it switches to Unicode mode. In a regular msg each character is 8 bits, but when using Unicode each character is 16 bits or more. Therefore cutting your msg space in half.

I have found that in a plain ole msg I can continue and send two msgs if I go over, but in Unicode mode of I go over, the recipient doesn't get the first msg.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs