Bricked 920, blue screen of death

Minghui Yu

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site
For no reason, my less-than-one-year old Nokia Lumia 920 got bricked, aka Blue Screen of Death. I am with Rogers (Canada).

Turn on the phone, vibrating, then Nokia logo, then blue screen. The phone turns it off automatically in about one minute.

I have some personal data that has not been backed up yet.

It is my first and will be my last Windows Phone.

juan6996

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
If you've already decided that this is your last Windows Phone, why bother posting here (we really don't care)? I mean, not only is it suspicious that this is your only post here (and no other info on your profile), but there have not been any other people with this "blue screen of death". If your problem is real, and you really wanna fix it, how about you ASK for help instead of attacking out platform? Even better, a simple forum search will direct you to possible fixes to your "issue" which are easy-to-understand.

Minghui Yu

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site
Yes, this is my last WP8 phone. But before I dump it, I need to get it working first. The bottom line is I need to get my data back. I do not really care if it is bricked or not, what I want is data. A brick that can be connected as a USB drive is a good brick to me.

Are you a hard-core WP8 fan? I am sorry if my not-attacking words are attacking you. It once again proves that people have different definitions on a single thing. I did not aim to attack anyone. You cannot say that "this is my last WP8 phone" is attacking, can you?

hs k

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
Yes, this is my last WP8 phone. But before I dump it, I need to get it working first. The bottom line is I need to get my data back. I do not really care if it is bricked or not, what I want is data. A brick that can be connected as a USB drive is a good brick to me.

Are you a hard-core WP8 fan? I am sorry if my not-attacking words are attacking you. It once again proves that people have different definitions on a single thing. I did not aim to attack anyone. You cannot say that "this is my last WP8 phone" is attacking, can you?

All we are saying is that we haven't encountered any BSODs on WP yet. We have a chance to encounter the GODs (Gears of Death) and that is only when you screw over a firmware update or a hard reset gone wrong.

Minghui Yu

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site
All we are saying is that we haven't encountered any BSODs on WP yet. We have a chance to encounter the GODs (Gears of Death) and that is only when you screw over a firmware update or a hard reset gone wrong.

BSOD is gone.

It is 'Windows Boot Manager' screen now.

http://forums.windowscentral.com/no...oes-not-boot-windows-boot-manager-screen.html

I got Blue Screen of Death in past a number of days. Today, after

1. Disconnect your phone from the charger.
2. Press and hold the volume down key and connect the charger. An exlamation mark (!) is shown on the screen. 3. Press the following keys in order: volume up, volume down, power, volume down.

I got this funny 'Windows Boot Manager' screen.

What a Windows!

Minghui Yu

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site

No (Lumia 920) BSOD on this forum yet? Unbelievable! It's my great honor to be the #1.

Minghui Yu

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site
Update:

This thread was posted a few months ago (last Oct). My 920 was under warranty so I had it fixed (restoring system) through carrier.

Now, Feb 11, 2014, it was bricked again!

Exactly the same problem.

What a Nokia!

I am fed up with it. I will have it restored through carrier again. Then sell it on craigslist for $50 dollars.

Mellifluous

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site

Sandi Curran

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
Quote Originally Posted by hs k View Post

WOW !!!! I feel SPECIAL !! i Have had 4 Nokia Lumia 920s within the last year. ALL FOUR HAVE HAD THE BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH, FOR NO REASON. The first Nokia was just charging, when it turned off and the blue screen appeared. I took it into AT&T. They were clueless. They tried to do a hard reset, the phone was unresponsive. I paid my $100 dollar insurance deductible to get a replacement. Within in THREE WEEKS of receiving he second Nokia, it was just sitting on my desk, all of a sudden it would turn off and reboot. It would say NOKIA, then turn off and go to a blue screen again. This process continued until the battery was dead, So I paid ANOTHER $100 DOLLAR DEDUCTIBLE ( TWO PHONES IN TWO MONTHS NOW) . i received my third Nokia, and Ironically, as I was on the phone with AT&T about a problem I had with the microprone not working, all of a sudden, the call dropped with At&t and you guessed it . BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH. Yesterday I received my 4th Nokia replacement (Now I have paid $400 in insurance deductibles) and I am just hoping this phone holds out until my contract ends and I can get ANYTHING ELSE. I did no firmware updates or anything to cause my phones to react this way. I can't believe this mans comment was the first you have heard of this problem. Clearly, It's a major fault in Nokias hardware. I have never experienced this much trouble with a phone in my life.

I guess we are the two people in the universe with this problem. HAHA. (NOT)

Peace Out !

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Quote Originally Posted by hs k View Post

WOW !!!! I feel SPECIAL !! i Have had 4 Nokia Lumia 920s within the last year. ALL FOUR HAVE HAD THE BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH, FOR NO REASON. The first Nokia was just charging, when it turned off and the blue screen appeared. I took it into AT&T. They were clueless. They tried to do a hard reset, the phone was unresponsive. I paid my $100 dollar insurance deductible to get a replacement. Within in THREE WEEKS of receiving he second Nokia, it was just sitting on my desk, all of a sudden it would turn off and reboot. It would say NOKIA, then turn off and go to a blue screen again. This process continued until the battery was dead, So I paid ANOTHER $100 DOLLAR DEDUCTIBLE ( TWO PHONES IN TWO MONTHS NOW) . i received my third Nokia, and Ironically, as I was on the phone with AT&T about a problem I had with the microprone not working, all of a sudden, the call dropped with At&t and you guessed it . BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH. Yesterday I received my 4th Nokia replacement (Now I have paid $400 in insurance deductibles) and I am just hoping this phone holds out until my contract ends and I can get ANYTHING ELSE. I did no firmware updates or anything to cause my phones to react this way. I can't believe this mans comment was the first you have heard of this problem. Clearly, It's a major fault in Nokias hardware. I have never experienced this much trouble with a phone in my life.

I guess we are the two people in the universe with this problem. HAHA. (NOT)

Peace Out !

Why are you paying insurance deductibles if this is a warranty issue? Unless you had physical damage to the devices, they should be repaired or replaced free of charge within the first year.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss