Bricked during GDR 2

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
The 920s have threads on here talking about reset bricks back in November through the summer. The update isn't the only thing that's bricked the toy phone 920. The 1020 apparently has a much more stable internal structure, according to the head technician at AT and T.

Nokia gave me a 1020 after 5 920 swaps. 1st 1020 was defective and took 6 hrs for a reset. Only Lumia phone with no gears of death was my 620. That phone 0 issues and resets fine.

On my 2nd 1020 now so far so good.

thomas wojcik

Jul 21, 2013
Visit site
Actually, I think the problem is with AT&T. They had 2 months to change some stuffs (taking off data sense, etc...) in the ROM and it made it unstable.

The GDR2/AMBER update went almost flawlessly on all the other carriers in the world!
This phone has had major issues with resets since day one. The amber update really isn't much more than a half arsed reset. When there is a sticky on it, that ain't good and it's not just ATT phones.http://forums.windowscentral.com/no...after-reset-flash-process-defined-inside.html

Sean Miller4

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site
scooters has tons of crap on his phone i can guaruntee you, bricked or not i could fix it in less than 20 minutes, at&t doesnt know their **** from a hole in the ground, they have tons of returns i assure you, but they probably have tons of people stopping it early or with 20 gigs of data, that being said i'm not saying 20 hrs is optimal but it does happen, and is not a hardware issure its at&t and microsoft and their software, has zero to do with nokia. Nokia is getting tons of backlash on a really good phone for software that was optimized correctly for the phone, 1020 has same insides as 920 minus the wireless charging and anything pertaining to camera. And it has more memory. But none of that would affect the resets, infact i believe their are several other phones with same chip as 920 also, but any of them running pre-amber will have reset issures msft didnt iron out all the glitches before they rolled it out. And fyi even though scooters will have you believe otherwise a factory reset and a OS update are the exact samething but for different purposes, when you do a factory reset it reinstalls the ENTIRE os it doesnt just wipe your data, if your under the impression it just erases your data then you could not be more wrong. It reflashes your phone, when you get an OS update it does not just install an update, it completely erases everythign off the phone and reflashes the new OS. This is why phones get bricked during major updates of all brands because they all do the samething, before smartphones these type of updates were not even available, because a flash would have to be done at a factory, with advances in software and hardware you can now do this with the touch of a button, but its not perfect and sometimes either hangs or can brick your phone but 90% of the 920's are not bricked lol just people with tons of crap on their phone. Also anybody who said earlier they did an update with the same apps on the 2nd phone and it worked alot faster if you only had the phone for a couple days this might as well be a clean phone, the apps are not the problem, the phone stores tons of temporary data for faster loading times and as everybody knows the OTHER storage can be in the gigs this type of stuff will slow down the reset, also any pictures and things like that will have to be backed up beforehand. I do agree spinning gears should have some type of indicator but believe it or not this is VERY hard to do because during a flash there is nothing running of the OS its a flash process and the gears animation is built into it so they would have to actually have a separate phone/computer to say how much longer it has because when a phone is being flashed the phone itself is essentially dead and not running. If you flash your phone with NCS it tells you exactly where its at in the process on the computer. So once again this is not nokia or msft's fault as to why it just has gears. The only remedy here is for them to fine tune it more to speed it up, and maybe add some stuff to the manual on updates and resets to inform consumers that it doesnt always finish in 20 min like alot of people think it should. If any of you had one of the original wp7's they didnt have OTA updates you had to plug it into the computer, well this had a progress meter telling you how long cause the computer ran it, but guess what i had an update on wp7 take every bit of 7 hrs on a SAMSUNG PHONE. Get freakin real scooter its not a 920 or nokia problem its a wp8 problem and will any updates theres issues of any brand. Just because you had good luck with iphone a couple times doesnt mean millions of other people havent had bricked iphones, stuff stop working, all kinds of crap i've seen it all over the internet i have tons of friends with problems on their iphones after updates. One isnt better than the other. The 920 just happens to take longer than the iphone. Like the other guy said you couldnt find any bricked it just came out nobody has flashed their phone, i'm willing to bet almost nobody in the world has yet to flash it. I know i havent mine. Now when GDR3 comes out we will see, i think amber will fix alot of the long flash issues so i think your right we will see less bricked phones, but has nothing to do with the quality of the 920 and everything to do with advancing software. Stop crying and go back to your iphone since its in your head that its better.

scooooters

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
Day and half still spinning gears...but according to IT director Sean, he could fix it. Your diatribe adds nothing. The fact of the matter is these two companies are linked at the hip. And you can try and convince people here that you could fix the phone in 30 minutes, however, all the fixes listed here and what YOU would do would violate the warranty on the phone. You've missed my entire point. Good business means you make people whole when you sell them a faulty product. Because of this toy phone that I'm now locked in to unless I want to drop several hundred dollars, I've lost business that can't be recovered easily. All because of a gimmicky software update. I've had iphones have issues, but when I walk into an Apple store with a phone, they don't tell me "oh it may take a couple days". They simply take the phone away and provide me a new one on the spot. Microsoft stores informed me that they don't do that. AT and T is shipping me one that will take 2 days to get here and will be a refurbished one at best. And seeing as Nokia is now owned by Microsoft...how is your argument any more relevant. The first Xboxes that came out were garbage and years later, Microsoft acknowledged this. Now they're outstanding. Maybe in 5 years, MicroNokia will get their stuff together. But to me, I'm stuck with a phone that I have zero faith in and will make sure that no one I know will ever own one of these ticking time bombs.

Sean Miller4

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site
They will longer be made in a few months anyway, I dont convince you of jack, i could fix it in less than 30 min, apple stores only do that if you have apple care otherwise they charge hundreds like everybody else, microsoft will do under certain circumstances, you come in here assuming that nobody else has ever dealt with apple? Apple has convinced tons of people they are better, they overcharge for stuff that they didnt invent make phones out of glass that break after one drop, the first iphone supposedly a smartphone couldnt even send a picture message. Give me a break, this OS is 3 years old IOS is 8 or so, apple is no better than anybody else never will be, theyve never been #1 in sales nokia has, nokia gets paid for their IP apple gets paid from nobody because they invent nothing. Apple will never be #1 in fact they will be losing sharing from here on out. Your the on refusing to install NCS which like another guy said was a breeze to use and at one point and time before all this smarthphone stuff was the normal thing to do with a flash. I would say if its still spinning you should reflash it with NCS. It might at this point come out of it but a day and a half is overly long for anything. My original point was overnight not so much 2 days. But if you had 20 gigs of stuff on it before you updated you were asking for trouble. All i'm sayin. If i had a business which i have had in the past i myself would be more cautious with updates like this as anybody would. The current company i work for supplies iphones and will not update to IOS7 and have no date as to when they ever will. Wonder why that is? Because smart companies PLAN AHEAD and dont just jump into a major update on a necessary phone just because its available. Also when i ran my business i had back up phones, your sim is removeable you could easily pop it into another phone temporarily till that one is updated. And you can say " i shoudlnt have to do any of this" ya well no OS is perfect stop acting like apple is their not nobody is stuff happens plan ahead dont cry about it when you didnt. 920 is a good phone, nokias best? Not even close but one of the worst phones out there? Not even close. I've owned more phones than you've seen and 920 was one of the better ones.

etad putta

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
Shawnee this whole thread goes right in the crapper if gdr3 or blue or whatever fixes this problem. You can defend this phones fault all you want, but it is there. I love the phone other than that. Hey look, short and sweet.

etad putta

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
They will longer be made in a few months anyway, I dont convince you of jack, i could fix it in less than 30 min, apple stores only do that if you have apple care otherwise they charge hundreds like everybody else, microsoft will do under certain circumstances, you come in here assuming that nobody else has ever dealt with apple? Apple has convinced tons of people they are better, they overcharge for stuff that they didnt invent make phones out of glass that break after one drop, the first iphone supposedly a smartphone couldnt even send a picture message. Give me a break, this OS is 3 years old IOS is 8 or so, apple is no better than anybody else never will be, theyve never been #1 in sales nokia has, nokia gets paid for their IP apple gets paid from nobody because they invent nothing. Apple will never be #1 in fact they will be losing sharing from here on out. Your the on refusing to install NCS which like another guy said was a breeze to use and at one point and time before all this smarthphone stuff was the normal thing to do with a flash. I would say if its still spinning you should reflash it with NCS. It might at this point come out of it but a day and a half is overly long for anything. My original point was overnight not so much 2 days. But if you had 20 gigs of stuff on it before you updated you were asking for trouble. All i'm sayin. If i had a business which i have had in the past i myself would be more cautious with updates like this as anybody would. The current company i work for supplies iphones and will not update to IOS7 and have no date as to when they ever will. Wonder why that is? Because smart companies PLAN AHEAD and dont just jump into a major update on a necessary phone just because its available. Also when i ran my business i had back up phones, your sim is removeable you could easily pop it into another phone temporarily till that one is updated. And you can say " i shoudlnt have to do any of this" ya well no OS is perfect stop acting like apple is their not nobody is stuff happens plan ahead dont cry about it when you didnt. 920 is a good phone, nokias best? Not even close but one of the worst phones out there? Not even close. I've owned more phones than you've seen and 920 was one of the better ones.

I love you, your posts are great. You seem to be able to repair better than ATT. Good for you.

jojapath

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
This phone has had major issues with resets since day one. The amber update really isn't much more than a half arsed reset. When there is a sticky on it, that ain't good and it's not just ATT phones.http://forums.windowscentral.com/no...after-reset-flash-process-defined-inside.html

Flashing (updating a firmware) a device has nothing to do with hard-resetting it.... At all.....

And I repeat, The GDR2/AMBER update went almost flawlessly on all the other carriers in the world! Just look at the forum and you'll notice that the only ones who are having their phones bricked after flashing are AT&T customers!

etad putta

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
Flashing (updating a firmware) a device has nothing to do with hard-resetting it.... At all.....

And I repeat, The GDR2/AMBER update went almost flawlessly on all the other carriers in the world! Just look at the forum and you'll notice that the only ones who are having their phones bricked after flashing are AT&T customers!
Spinning gears on both seems a common thread to me. And i see the word "almost" in your post. Kind of keeps the door open a little does it not? I think it was os and firmware

Last edited:

outback15

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
Day and half still spinning gears...but according to IT director Sean, he could fix it. Your diatribe adds nothing. The fact of the matter is these two companies are linked at the hip. And you can try and convince people here that you could fix the phone in 30 minutes, however, all the fixes listed here and what YOU would do would violate the warranty on the phone. You've missed my entire point. Good business means you make people whole when you sell them a faulty product. Because of this toy phone that I'm now locked in to unless I want to drop several hundred dollars, I've lost business that can't be recovered easily. All because of a gimmicky software update. I've had iphones have issues, but when I walk into an Apple store with a phone, they don't tell me "oh it may take a couple days". They simply take the phone away and provide me a new one on the spot. Microsoft stores informed me that they don't do that. AT and T is shipping me one that will take 2 days to get here and will be a refurbished one at best. And seeing as Nokia is now owned by Microsoft...how is your argument any more relevant. The first Xboxes that came out were garbage and years later, Microsoft acknowledged this. Now they're outstanding. Maybe in 5 years, MicroNokia will get their stuff together. But to me, I'm stuck with a phone that I have zero faith in and will make sure that no one I know will ever own one of these ticking time bombs.

I thought that u already had ur problem solved in one of ur posts. So, why keep on it.
I, for one, have had a flawless 920 before, during, and after amber and you are not gonna convince me to ditch my "toy" phone.
I have had severe issues with my daughter's iphone and Apple store at one time but I'm not going to tell every iphone user to ditch their phones just bcos of 1 device.
That is not my business and certainly not my right. I will leave it entirely to them

jojapath

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
And i see the word "almost" in your post. Kind of keeps the door open a little does it not? I think it was os and firmware

Well, the word "almost" in my post was for the 1/1000 that resetted the phone before it finished updating and bricked it. This forum and many others speak for themselves. The problem is AT&T. By tampering this firmware, they made it unstable.

Read other posts on this forum from 2 months ago. When Germany, U.K., Canada, India, etc... got the GDR2 / AMBER OTA, nobody wrote anything about getting their phones bricked because of the update!

blacksea00

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
AT&T modified firmware and for this you have this problems.. anyway its easy to fix a bricked phone but for normal people its a pain in the ***.

thomas wojcik

Jul 21, 2013
Visit site
Well, the word "almost" in my post was for the 1/1000 that resetted the phone before it finished updating and bricked it. This forum and many others speak for themselves. The problem is AT&T. By tampering this firmware, they made it unstable.

Read other posts on this forum from 2 months ago. When Germany, U.K., Canada, India, etc... got the GDR2 / AMBER OTA, nobody wrote anything about getting their phones bricked because of the update!
This forum is in english, do ya think there might be some other forums where they speak a language native to their countries where they might be having amber\gdr2 problems? To say NOBODY else is having problems without proof is incorrect. Also ALMOST 3000 views on this thread in 3 days any indication of a concern?

Last edited:

jojapath

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
This forum is in english, do ya think there might be some other forums where they speak a language native to their countries where they might be having amber\gdr2 problems? To say NOBODY else is having problems without proof is incorrect. Also ALMOST 3000 views on this thread in 3 days any indication of a concern?

Well since AT&T is for the U.S. customers and it seems they are the only ones bricking their phones because of the GDR2 / AMBER OTA update, I only referred to this forum. Also, there are lots of people from other countries and other carriers in this forum and you don't read them complaining about the GDR2 / AMBER bricking their phones when they updated 2 months ago so that's why I'm pretty sure the problem is AT&T that tampered with the ROM and unintentionally made it unstable. When people from other carriers are talking about their phones being bricked, it's because of the hard-reset flaw this phone has.

But hey! You wanted proof so here you go:

Foro Nokia

Dudas y problemas - Windows Foros

Nokia Lumia - Nokia Support Discussions

Nokia Lumia 920 - WindowsPhoneFR.com, le Forum - Communaut? francophone autour de Windows Phone

SPF :: Voir le Forum - Nokia Lumia 520, 620, 820, 92x & 1020

Just use BING TRANSLATE (Or google if you want) and you'll see that nobody bricked their phones while updating to the GDR2 / AMBER!

Do you need some German, Japanese or Chinese forums too? :wink:

etad putta

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
Well since AT&T is for the U.S. customers and it seems they are the only ones bricking their phones because of the GDR2 / AMBER OTA update, I only referred to this forum. Also, there are lots of people from other countries and other carriers in this forum and you don't read them complaining about the GDR2 / AMBER bricking their phones when they updated 2 months ago so that's why I'm pretty sure the problem is AT&T that tampered with the ROM and unintentionally made it unstable. When people from other carriers are talking about their phones being bricked, it's because of the hard-reset flaw this phone has.

But hey! You wanted proof so here you go:

Foro Nokia

Dudas y problemas - Windows Foros

Nokia Lumia - Nokia Support Discussions

Nokia Lumia 920 - WindowsPhoneFR.com, le Forum - Communaut? francophone autour de Windows Phone

SPF :: Voir le Forum - Nokia Lumia 520, 620, 820, 92x & 1020

Just use BING TRANSLATE (Or google if you want) and you'll see that nobody bricked their phones while updating to the GDR2 / AMBER!

Do you need some German, Japanese or Chinese forums too? :wink:

Read it and weep my friend...Suffering from the spinning cogs issue on a Nokia Windows Phone? There's a fix for that | Windows Phone Central I have to eat some crow from time to time also. At least this helps us nokia users.

Last edited:

jojapath

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
Read it and weep my friend...Suffering from the spinning cogs issue on a Nokia Windows Phone? There's a fix for that | Windows Phone Central I have to eat some crow from time to time also. At least this helps us nokia users.

Yes. This is already covered in other threads of this forum...

http://forums.windowscentral.com/wi...ng-gears-cogs-bug-nokia-lumia-users-only.html

We already knew this problem existed when people would reset their phones.... So far, AT&T users are the only ones having this problem when installing GDR2 / AMBER OTA.

etad putta

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
Yes. This is already covered in other threads of this forum...

http://forums.windowscentral.com/wi...ng-gears-cogs-bug-nokia-lumia-users-only.html

We already knew this problem existed when people would reset their phones.... So far, AT&T users are the only ones having this problem when installing GDR2 / AMBER OTA.

We've already looked at the spinning cogs issue with Nokia Windows Phones. You reset (or update) your handset and the when booting the handset, you simply cannot get past the spinning cogs. Luckily, while Nokia has been busy replacing damaged hardware, the manufacturer has also released an update to its Nokia Software Updater that looks to address the problem. Note the word "UPDATE" notice the lack of "ATT ONLY"

scooooters

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
Dagnabit, SHAWN THE IT DIRECTOR DOES NOT NEED YOUR WEAK AND PUNY HELP WP CENTRAL! How DARE Nokia provide a solution to a problem, that according to SHAWN is all in our heads. 3 thousand people have read this thread...3 GRAND. Hell, the phone barely has that many OWNERS. But its ALL IN THEIR HEADS TOO. If AT and T is causing the issue with the update (which honestly, I don't doubt), are the Verizon folks having issues with any of their devices? I ask that in all earnest, as I normally loathe Verizons data caps, but if their phones are more stable WP formats, it's worth the consideration.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett