Glance screen clock is too dark/dull on L920

Daniel Szabadi

May 29, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

I was checking out the new glance background contest thread, when I've realised that my glance screen clock is very dark compared to those pictures in the thread.
I didn't want to spam that thread more so I started this one to find an answer.

So my glance screen clock is kind of dark/dull, It can be barely seen... (not to mention sunlight)

It seems more ppl having the same issue as me.
I've tried soft resetting, or changing screen brightness to 'high' (it's on auto now) but none of these helped.

What is the problem then? Is this an LCD vs AMOLED problem? Don't think so, since I'm sure there are some other L920s in the contest which have nice and bright clock displays according to those pictures...

Thx in advance

jhayEL

Apr 19, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

I was checking out the new glance background contest thread, when I've realised that my glance screen clock is very dark compared to those pictures in the thread.
I didn't want to spam that thread more so I started this one to find an answer.

So my glance screen clock is kind of dark/dull, It can be barely seen... (not to mention sunlight)

It seems more ppl having the same issue as me.
I've tried soft resetting, or changing screen brightness to 'high' (it's on auto now) but none of these helped.

What is the problem then? Is this an LCD vs AMOLED problem? Don't think so, since I'm sure there are some other L920s in the contest which have nice and bright clock displays according to those pictures...

Thx in advance

Yes, it's a screen issue. Glance on AMOLED screen are brighter than LCD. I'm using Lumia 720 so my screen is the same with 920. Although, in a dark room, glance screen is more visible.

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
The Lumia 920 has a ClearBlack PureMotion HD+ IPS LCD Screen (that's a mouthful.)

Now, it's not supposed to be so dark that you can't see it, but it's supposed to be as bright as low with battery saver enabled and battery saver turned on.

If it's dimmer than that, good luck. Chances are a hard reset or flashing it will solve the problem. If not...just try a reboot, or do anything in your power to fix this. I haven't had this problem before, though.

jiayit

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
It's dim so it'll conserve battery, that's what I think anyway. Used Glance in bright sunlight on my 920, was still able to tell the time.
I didn't have to wake my phone up to its usual brightness just to check the time, isn't that what Glance is for?

Daniel Szabadi

May 29, 2013
Visit site
it's supposed to be as bright as low with battery saver enabled and battery saver turned on

Yes, this is how I could describe it's brightness level... but in daylight conditions this is not enough imo... in dark its perfect (visible, and not hurting the eyes...)
I undertand that the 920's screen is different so it seems this is normal and nothing else to do then...

Thx for the answers guys.

uselessrobot

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I don't think the only problem is the dimness of the display, but the fact that the images get re-sampled and look like crap. The 5 stock photos have good definition, but even if I save a 2 color, dithered GIF it still re-renders it for lower resolution. It looks terrible.

Maybe this is as intended to ensure low power consumption, but custom images look so bad as to not even be worth using.

jiayit

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I don't think the only problem is the dimness of the display, but the fact that the images get re-sampled and look like crap. The 5 stock photos have good definition, but even if I save a 2 color, dithered GIF it still re-renders it for lower resolution. It looks terrible.

Maybe this is as intended to ensure low power consumption, but custom images look so bad as to not even be worth using.
I googled for some .png's, and downloaded a few which were around 1k x 1k, the pictures look perfectly fine.
still 'retina'.

fwaits

Mar 9, 2008
Visit site
Night mode negates the background option however so if you want to use that you can't really do the all day night mode thing.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster