10-18-2013 10:57 AM
43 12
tools
    ok so we finally fot GDR2/amber on out att L920 but my other storage is still at 3gb what gives?
    WussE and Leea2013 like this.
    10-11-2013 04:05 PM
    Other storage is just a directory for temp files. Windows has a similar folder.

Nokia does give you the option to "clean it up"
    Jazmac and GmaGeek like this.
    10-11-2013 04:11 PM
    I think we have to reset, it can manage only point forward the other storage.
    10-11-2013 04:19 PM
    I think we have to reset, it can manage only point forward the other storage.
    That's ridiculous! Some people (like me) have way too many games and music to reset the phone. If Microsoft were a little more competent we wouldn't have these problems in the first place. Or if they at least could save game data in the cloud for resets or new phones. Maybe I'm expecting too much from a multi billion dollar company.
    10-11-2013 04:25 PM
    That's ridiculous! Some people (like me) have way too many games and music to reset the phone. If Microsoft were a little more competent we wouldn't have these problems in the first place. Or if they at least could save game data in the cloud for resets or new phones. Maybe I'm expecting too much from a multi billion dollar company.
    If you do a back up, does it matter how many games and music you have?

Also, was able to clear a couple GIGs through Nokia storage manager app.
    10-11-2013 05:12 PM
    there is no way i have to reset the phone to get back my 3gb of storage thats nut.
    10-11-2013 06:27 PM
    Post Amber my other storage is at 8gb
    10-11-2013 07:23 PM
    After Amber mine never went upper than 200Mb
    10-11-2013 07:25 PM
    My other dropped from 5.99 GB to 5.89 GB with the upgrade :/ not quite the improvement I expected
    10-11-2013 07:27 PM
    Try shrink storage apps
    10-11-2013 07:29 PM
    Did you full reset after the update?
    10-11-2013 07:32 PM
    Did you use clear other storage?
    10-11-2013 07:32 PM
    I'm still on 9.4gb so no gdr2 has not solve thus issue as advertised
    10-11-2013 07:34 PM
    Guys, I don't think you're understanding what the "other storage" bug is/was. Think of "other storage" as a collection of "working" directories for the operating system and your applications. The OS and some apps use the file system to store working files. Think of it as your Temp directory in Windows (although not quite the same). What was supposed to happen was when you start to run low on space, the OS would clean itself up and delete files from "Other" that are no longer needed. But the bug in GDR1 was that this process was not kicking off, and orphaned files were being left behind, taking up space. The fix in GRD2 would allow this process to kick off when you start to run low on space. It will only delete files that are no longer in use. Your "Other" will never be empty as it is constantly being used by the operating system and some apps.

Things that are known to utilize "Other Storage".
    * The OS itself.
    * Skydrive photo sync
    * Email (when you download attachment, this is where it it save it to)
    * .xap files when installing/removing apps.

So your "Other Storage" space will be dependent on if you have skydrive photo sync turned on/off, the number/size of e-mail attachments you download, and the number of apps you have installed. And with the fix in GDR2, when you start to run low in hard drive space, the process will now kick off and clear out some cache and delete files no longer in use.

Microsoft clarifies how
    http://winsupersite.com/windows-phon...er-storage-bug
    What
    10-11-2013 08:20 PM
    Guys, I don't think you're understanding what the "other storage" bug is/was. Think of "other storage" as a collection of "working" directories for the operating system and your applications. The OS and some apps use the file system to store working files. Think of it as your Temp directory in Windows (although not quite the same). What was supposed to happen was when you start to run low on space, the OS would clean itself up and delete files from "Other" that are no longer needed. But the bug in GDR1 was that this process was not kicking off, and orphaned files were being left behind, taking up space. The fix in GRD2 would allow this process to kick off when you start to run low on space. It will only delete files that are no longer in use. Your "Other" will never be empty as it is constantly being used by the operating system and some apps.

* The OS itself.
    * Skydrive photo sync

So your "Other Storage" space will be dependent on if you have skydrive photo sync turned on/off, the number/size of e-mail attachments you download, and the number of apps you have installed. And with the fix in GDR2, when you start to run low in hard drive space, the process will now kick off and clear out some cache and delete files no longer in use.

Microsoft clarifies how
    What
    Exactly. Most file systems don't actually delete files, they just put them in recycling so that they can be overwritten when space is needed.
    10-11-2013 08:50 PM
    Guys, I don't think you're understanding what the "other storage" bug is/was.

Microsoft clarifies how
    What
    I understand but i just installed one of those storage shrink apps from app store which fills up device disk with files so it will run out of space and the OS should start deleting those files, right ? That didn't happen in my case. I still have over 8GB in other storage.
    10-11-2013 10:59 PM

* The OS itself.
    * Skydrive photo sync

Microsoft clarifies how
    What
    I've deletes all.games all email and no auto upload SkyDrive after gdr2 I'm up from 9.4 to 9.6 other storage not fixed
    10-12-2013 08:42 AM
    Just tried shrink storage app theoretically should clean sum out right? Wrong! Actually lost sum memory so no gdr2 has not fixed the"other storage" bug at least not on my phone
    10-12-2013 12:59 PM
    If you do a back up, does it matter how many games and music you have?

Also, was able to clear a couple GIGs through Nokia storage manager app.
    Matters quite a bit if people want to keep their game saves. Once you reset don't you lose all progress?
    10-12-2013 01:03 PM
    How much free space do you have? Is there something you can't do because of low memory?
    10-12-2013 01:08 PM
    It is fixed, but sadly, it doesn't just instantly wipe the Other Storage. Rather, the phone just deletes it as needed, meaning you have to fill up your phone's storage before it will bother to delete the Other Storage.

Of course, it also seems somewhat random in nature. The Other Storage on my Lumia 1020 seems to hover around 3GB, but it sometimes drops as low as 2.5GB or rises to 3.3GB. It's weird, but I'm constantly installing and uninstalling apps (free app deal. Even if I don't think I'll ever use 'em, I 'nab them up just in case). So based on horror stories I've heard, it's a miracle my Other Storage isn't significantly higher, which leads me to believe it is indeed fixed.

There is an app (forgive me, but I've forgotten the name) that tries to help with the Other Storage issue. If you tell it to do so, it will fill up your phone's storage (with just random, useless bits of data). As it approaches full, Windows Phone should detect this and (hopefully) empty out some of the Other Storage. After you're done, you just tell the app to free up the storage space it claimed, at which point it becomes useable by the rest of the OS. You can also reserve some storage space to keep Other Storage from consuming it, and release it from the app on a need-be basis (I.E: installing a large app). Results are varied, with some seeing significant reduction in their Other Storage, yet others seeing no difference whatsoever.

So in essence, GDR2 was kind of a "half-fix" for it. It's still better than before, but could do with some improvement (people on 8GB and 16GB devices really bite the bullet). Microsoft claims it's a necessary cache of files to help things run better, faster and smoother. How useful it is in terms of a cost/benefit ratio is up for debate.
    10-12-2013 03:39 PM
    It is fixed, but sadly, it doesn't just instantly wipe the Other Storage. Rather, the phone just deletes it as needed, meaning you have to fill up your phone's storage before it will bother to delete the Other Storage.

Of course, it also seems somewhat random in nature. The Other Storage on my Lumia 1020 seems to hover around 3GB, but it sometimes drops as low as 2.5GB or rises to 3.3GB. It's weird, but I'm constantly installing and uninstalling apps (free app deal. Even if I don't think I'll ever use 'em, I 'nab them up just in case). So based on horror stories I've heard, it's a miracle my Other Storage isn't significantly higher, which leads me to believe it is indeed fixed.

There is an app (forgive me, but I've forgotten the name) that tries to help with the Other Storage issue. If you tell it to do so, it will fill up your phone's storage (with just random, useless bits of data). As it approaches full, Windows Phone should detect this and (hopefully) empty out some of the Other Storage. After you're done, you just tell the app to free up the storage space it claimed, at which point it becomes useable by the rest of the OS. You can also reserve some storage space to keep Other Storage from consuming it, and release it from the app on a need-be basis (I.E: installing a large app). Results are varied, with some seeing significant reduction in their Other Storage, yet others seeing no difference whatsoever.

So in essence, GDR2 was kind of a "half-fix" for it. It's still better than before, but could do with some improvement (people on 8GB and 16GB devices really bite the bullet). Microsoft claims it's a necessary cache of files to help things run better, faster and smoother. How useful it is in terms of a cost/benefit ratio is up for debate.
    so why do I need 10gb of other storage and others don't? Why not have an option to just clear data? Its my phone! I'll stand corrected this weekend going to bush gardens and gonna take a bunch of pics if reach my memory limit and other storage is not releasing any space then wp8 is not my kind if os.so in theory my l920 is more like only 5gb if storage after apps ,memory for the system ,oh and don't forget about 10gb or so of other storage. I understand IOS and android had this issue but that wa like 3 years ago
    10-12-2013 04:06 PM
    Mine has been 1.07GB for the past 6 months, I have never had a problem with other storage like others. Lumia 920 w/ skydrive upload activated.
    10-12-2013 04:09 PM
    Mine has been 1.07GB for the past 6 months, I have never had a problem with other storage like others. Lumia 920 w/ skydrive upload activated.
    your one of the lucky few who gets what you paid for
    10-12-2013 04:26 PM
    so why do I need 10gb of other storage and others don't? Why not have an option to just clear data? Its my phone! I'll stand corrected this weekend going to bush gardens and gonna take a bunch of pics if reach my memory limit and other storage is not releasing any space then wp8 is not my kind if os.so in theory my l920 is more like only 5gb if storage after apps ,memory for the system ,oh and don't forget about 10gb or so of other storage. I understand IOS and android had this issue but that wa like 3 years ago
    Beats me, I'd personally like an option to force Windows Phone to clear what it deems unnecessary. It supposedly does this already when you're nearing full, so it'd be nice if customers had to option to force it to do this check and clear up some space.

Again, it seems to be worse for some users than others. Losing 3GB of space a little disappointing, but honestly, on a 32GB Lumia 1020, it's not the worst thing the world. My biggest concern is for people on 8GB devices, even if it stays at 2GB, 2GB of Other Storage coupled with the 2GB for the system is already 4GB, or half of the available space, lost.

Hopefully Microsoft will further improve upon the Other Storage issue with GDR3, and make things more consistent in how the OS decides what and when to clear.
    10-12-2013 04:29 PM
43 12