Amber update totally fixed my battery

Tech friend

Sep 26, 2013
Visit site
Enabling airplane mode, with WiFi on, my phone only lost 5% charge overnight. This is a good thing! With the same settings, browsing the net for a few minutes resulted in a full 10% loss. Phone isn't heating up like it used to, but I wonder why web browsing is so hard on the battery?
I have had the Lumia 920 for a short time. GSMarena published this 920 battery test on 2012-12-04 = before the Amber update's availability:

• Talk time -> 8:56
  • Web browsing -> 5:40
  • Video playback -> 6:19
Now I own a Lumia 1020:

• Talk time -> 22:13
  • Web browsing -> 5:50
  • Video playback -> 13:12
I drew from these test results, which tally more or less with my personal experience, the conclusion that surfing the internet seems to hit upon the Lumias weak spot.

If the Amber update really extends significantly the 920 battery life with regard to web browsing I am proven wrong (and have also some hope for upcoming 1020 updates).

Chandra Mohan1

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
Hi Guys this what I get the bettery% in my L920 is it ok are my battery getting drained fast huh plz tell me !! .. In the morning I charge my battery full , and I'll start using my phone at 7o' clock by Regular calls / day is 1 & 1/2 hr , what's app , web browser for 1hr/day, songs via headphones for 2hr/day, always connectivity in ON , Facebook beta app for 1/2 hr/day , games 1/2 hr/day , after using all things at 2o'clock my battery will be left with 20% .. And the battery saver is ON .. And I don't use any thing I'll reach my home at 6o'clock and my battery % ll be left with varies in 10-15% is its k ..

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Was looking good but then the battery just died a sudden massive death with phone hot in my pocket.

Battery Saver had kicked in. Interestingly IE had a page that had not finished loading when I went back to that. In that there was a percentage bar still at the bottom.

Really wonder if that app is the problem as it doesn't appear to be anything else.

Chandra Mohan1

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
I don't know why my L920 battery darin faster .. After updating to ambera.. I charged my phone for 100% after tat I was leasing to songs over 30mins in loud speaker, and I used web browser oly 15mins in windows former I lost 20% for my battery and left wit 80% is it k r bad

despertador

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
Yep, I just noticed today too. Before the update I remember myself trying to tweak all the settings to get the most out of my battery, but now it seems I'm not doing that anymore because of how my battery seems so much more improved...

invisik

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Yes battery life is waaay better than before. Only lost 8% after 6 hours of the phone in my pocket with glance in peek mode on. Amazing!

Suedezu

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I think Amber improved battery life for my 920 too. Right now I have 24 hrs of stand by with 39% left. I have wireless on, data connection off, glance on. Yesterday I drove for 4 hours and had 3G and Bluetooth on during the whole time. I also checked my email, browsed the web for 1 hour, checked the WPCentral app and some other apps a few times.

However a couple of days ago I was getting massive battery drain and I began to investigate the possible causes. I uninstalled Skype, Glance Background Beta and some other apps to no avail. The battery drain would continue. Then I remembered someone posted here that sometimes your email account can get stuck and cause massive battery drain. I deleted my Gmail account, added it back again, set it to check every 2 hours and my battery life has seen a major improvement ever since.

My advice to you if you have sudden battery drain: delete and add back your email amount. It only takes a couple of minutes and can lead to a major improvement in battery life.

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Nokia/Microsoft have OBVIOUSLY turned on some Snapdragon juice sipping mojo on these phones now. They won't say it but THIS is the phone I thought I was buying a year ago. Seriously this is like getting a new phone.

denzilla

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
Its a shame this "fix" wasn't released early on to save a years worth of needless battery abuse. Oh well, 1 more year and it'll be new phone time anyway!

Brian McBride

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
Mine is worse since the update. Something is keeping the processor on because the back of the phone is quite warm. I probably need to back up all the data on my phone and reset it.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
920. Note perfect no drop on left so phone can run with almost no drain.

Then I browsed the internet once and checked twitter using their app. No video use, in fact no use except for right at start of first big fall.

Charged phone overnight but fall continues.

Fact is that I just use the phone. The OS should not permit mainstream apps to kill the battery like this. OS should warn of a task is running 100% CPU for hours so I can beat up on the dev.

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I take it all back. My live tiles were broken. I got them working again and battery life is horrible. Bottom line, live tile updates destroy your battery.

Sakeeboy

Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
After Amber+GDR2 my 920 runs cooler... but I was chatting with my friend using Skype and phone got really HOT and lost 6% battery in mere 5 mins. Does anybody experience this? Want to know if this is the HW or Skype is the culprit!

Moiz Mian

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
GDR3 fixes battery life even more! With GDR2, over the past week, I saw a battery discharging notifcation once...I know, it's only been a day since getting GDR3, but so far battery usage over the past 2 days is consistently around 3% per hour during the day and no spikes! Way better than before!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos