06-07-2015 11:18 AM
32 12
tools
    Hi, I have a Nokia Lumia 920.

Here is my problem.
    When I download files from the browser of the phone, or files attached to email, I JUST CANT FIND THEM LATER.....
    I can connect the windows phone on my PC but still cant find the files.
    I don't know if there is a specific folder where the files are stored, but just cant find them.

I miss a FILE EXPLORER too on the phone.
    It would be nice to have it, cause this way I could browse on the phone to search what I want.

Is there an app which do this?

THIS IS F****** BORING...veeeeeeeeeeeeeery BORING. YOU CAN EVEN THINK ABOUT CHANGE THE PHONE JUST BECAUSE OF THIS. TSK

Best regards
    /EV
    10-16-2013 09:01 AM
    You can only access files the phone recognizes. This is currently, PDF (app required), Office docs, HTML files. All other files are unrecognized.

No file explorer exists though there are some form of file explorer apps you can download, check out windowsphone.com I can't vouch for them as I don't use them.
    xandros9 and Edson Vuma like this.
    10-16-2013 09:14 AM
    Hi, Thanks

PLEASE, PLEASE..PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEASE
    PLEASE.

CAN YOU TELL ME WHICH APP TO DOWNLOAD?

Tired of searching and NOT WORK..

PLEASE.

Best regards
    10-16-2013 09:21 AM
    Holy cow bro, did you even read the second comment? YOU CANNOT ACCESS THOSE FILES FROM YOUR PC AND THERE IS NO FILE MANAGER ON WINDOWS PHONE.
    xandros9 likes this.
    10-16-2013 09:32 AM
    Holy cow bro, did you even read the second comment? YOU CANNOT ACCESS THOSE FILES FROM YOUR PC AND THERE IS NO FILE MANAGER ON WINDOWS PHONE.
    Did you read this on N_LaRUE's comment: "...there are some form of file explorer apps you can download..."

Holy cow bro..... :)

PLEASE HELP IF YOU CAN.

Best regards
    EV
    10-16-2013 10:59 AM
    Did you read this on N_LaRUE's comment: "...there are some form of file explorer apps you can download..."

PLEASE HELP IF YOU CAN.

Best regards
    EV
    Did you read my comment? Let me repeat it for you - YOU CANNOT ACCESS THOSE FILES FROM YOUR PC AND THERE IS NO FILE MANAGER ON WINDOWS PHONE.
    10-16-2013 11:02 AM

PLEASE HELP IF YOU CAN.

Best regards
    EV
    The file manager will not help you the way you want it to. Go to - The Smartphone Reinvented Around You | Windows Phone (United States) and check for yourself. I cannot tell you which one to get as I don't use any of them.
    10-16-2013 11:05 AM
    Did you read my comment? Let me repeat it for you - YOU CANNOT ACCESS THOSE FILES FROM YOUR PC AND THERE IS NO FILE MANAGER ON WINDOWS PHONE.
    You didnt need to be so rude... ,hipporama
    Dont confuse knowledge with intelligence...I could see that you have the knowledge....dont know about the other thing I said. :(

Any way, thanks to your rudeness.

EV
    xandros9 likes this.
    10-16-2013 11:15 AM
    The file manager will not help you the way you want it to. Go to - The Smartphone Reinvented Around You | Windows Phone (United States) and check for yourself. I cannot tell you which one to get as I don't use any of them.
    Thanks, N_LaRUE..
    Will give a look shortly.

Best regards
    EV
    10-16-2013 11:16 AM
    You can only access files the phone recognizes. This is currently, PDF (app required), Office docs, HTML files. All other files are unrecognized.

No file explorer exists though there are some form of file explorer apps you can download, check out windowsphone.com I can't vouch for them as I don't use them.
    You can actually open .ZIP files to see the contents, but cannot do anything with said contents unless (as you say) it's a file the phone recognises. Such as doc, pdf, xls, etc.
    10-16-2013 11:58 AM
    Best file explorer on WP8 is Pocket File Manager
    10-16-2013 12:24 PM
    Best file explorer on WP8 is Pocket File Manager
    Thanks, Amitnahar....
    Will give a try.

Regards
    10-17-2013 02:09 AM
    You can actually open .ZIP files to see the contents, but cannot do anything with said contents unless (as you say) it's a file the phone recognises. Such as doc, pdf, xls, etc.
    I just wonder....why Microsoft/Nokia dont just fix this VERYYYYYYY BORING thing??

Regards,
    EV
    10-17-2013 02:12 AM
    I just wonder....why Microsoft/Nokia dont just fix this VERYYYYYYY BORING thing??

Regards,
    EV
    Maybe because they wouldn't want users to mess up the phone?
    Edson Vuma likes this.
    10-17-2013 02:50 AM
    Maybe because they wouldn't want users to mess up the phone?
    No way, before I buy this, I used a GALAXY S3 and I can easily access my files and NEVER MESSED UP THE PHONE...
    That is not a justification...on the programming, they can make "rules" to deny these "attempts" of deleting the crucial files of the phone.

SO, AGAIN.....ITS BORING...
    10-17-2013 05:19 AM
    BORING...you keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means ;-)
    Idan Cohen likes this.
    10-17-2013 05:30 AM
    No way, before I buy this, I used a GALAXY S3 and I can easily access my files and NEVER MESSED UP THE PHONE...
    That is not a justification...on the programming, they can make "rules" to deny these "attempts" of deleting the crucial files of the phone.

SO, AGAIN.....ITS BORING...
    If a File Manager is "BORING" then it's good that we don't have one on Windows Phone, I wouldn't want my WP to become "BORING", would I?
    Qtweeder likes this.
    10-17-2013 05:39 AM
    There is no file manager for WP8
    There will be no file manager for WP8
    Any file Manager apps you see in the market place won't do what you want them to
    No application can see, access, or modify any data files that are associated with another app

This has been done for security considerations, and the fact that the vast majority of users wouldn't use the file manager functionality if it existed.

If a file manager is that important to you, then you'll need to head back to Android.

It might be boring to you, but this is how Windows Phone works.
    neo158, multo, Edson Vuma and 4 others like this.
    10-17-2013 05:43 AM
    There is no file manager for WP8
    There will be no file manager for WP8
    Any file Manager apps you see in the market place won't do what you want them to
    No application can see, access, or modify any data files that are associated with another app

This has been done for security considerations, and the fact that the vast majority of users wouldn't use the file manager functionality if it existed.

If a file manager is that important to you, then you'll need to head back to Android.

It might be boring to you, but this is how Windows Phone works.

BEST ANSWER....
    Thanks
    10-17-2013 07:09 AM
    Now please lock this "boring" thread
    Edson Vuma likes this.
    10-17-2013 08:39 PM
    BEST ANSWER....
    Thanks
    It amazes me to a great degree the vehement defense of this issue by the WPC rank and file. While the explanations of the file manager situation are accurate and well stated, this does not at all mean that the decision of the Redmond Rangers was at all good or well conceived. In fact, probably quite a poor one.

Many OS' both are plenty secure and have user accessible file systems. In the smart phone space, the most secure (arguably) is BlackBerry. BB even has a user accessible file system. This OS architecture decision by MS sends a few messages to potential users; "we can trust you mr./ms. user with a desktop file system and make it secure, but not on a smart phone" Or, it takes us so long just to get something to market, we couldn't take the time to figure out a way to make a user accessible file system on our own NT kernel.... wouldn't it be cute if made users access the cloud for these basic OS necessities because the cloud is cool, it's the future... yeh, that's it, we just tell them it's cool. Or, this is the best, "We don't want business or enterprise customers". The latter I believe is a prime reason WP8 has little, very little enterprise installations and even fewer business users clamoring to ring their must have WP8 phones into BOD IT environments.

The lack of a user accessible file system is not "Boring", it's down right ill conceived and lazy.
    10-17-2013 10:01 PM
    It amazes me to a great degree the vehement defense of this issue by the WPC rank and file. While the explanations of the file manager situation are accurate and well stated, this does not at all mean that the decision of the Redmond Rangers was at all good or well conceived. In fact, probably quite a poor one.

Many OS' both are plenty secure and have user accessible file systems. In the smart phone space, the most secure (arguably) is BlackBerry. BB even has a user accessible file system. This OS architecture decision by MS sends a few messages to potential users; "we can trust you mr./ms. user with a desktop file system and make it secure, but not on a smart phone" Or, it takes us so long just to get something to market, we couldn't take the time to figure out a way to make a user accessible file system on our own NT kernel.... wouldn't it be cute if made users access the cloud for these basic OS necessities because the cloud is cool, it's the future... yeh, that's it, we just tell them it's cool. Or, this is the best, "We don't want business or enterprise customers". The latter I believe is a prime reason WP8 has little, very little enterprise installations and even fewer business users clamoring to ring their must have WP8 phones into BOD IT environments.

The lack of a user accessible file system is not "Boring", it's down right ill conceived and lazy.

Absolutely, I agree.
    Edson Vuma likes this.
    10-18-2013 01:03 AM
    Thanks all...

Now let me close this thread.

Best Regards,
    EV
    10-18-2013 01:56 AM
    I will not make any comment one way or another about the value of a file manager (explorer etc.) on a WP8 phone; but I own two Android tablets and I cannot tell you how many times ESexplorer has saved my bacon. It is quite possible for Microsoft to hide system files so a file explorer would not even see them to modify them, without a little work. Maybe they think smartphone users are dumber than computer users and they will some way mess up the phones and cause trouble for tech support. So far I have not had the need for a file explorer on my 820, except for temp and other storage which GDR2 helped some. But it would be nice to have when I do need it and I am sure it will happen sooner or later. Take care people. Just my view.
    Edson Vuma likes this.
    10-18-2013 08:12 AM
    It is quite possible for Microsoft to hide system files so a file explorer would not even see them to modify them, without a little work.
    This is a very popular belief, but it's completely wrong. A system file is any file that isn't user data. That includes far more than what MS ships with the OS. If an app saves its configuration to a file, then that is a system file. If a banking app stores login information in a file, that too is a system file. If an app caches information retrieved from the internet, that is a system file, etc. etc. etc. The ability to meddle with any of those files can break an app or provide a huge attack surface for malicious misuse. WP has no way of knowing if those files really are system files or not.

What you thought MS should be able to do with just a little bit of work, is actually impossible for them to do on their own.

Symbian had a security model in place that required app developers to explicitly distinguish between the two, but app developers often messed this up. One example was a developer that decided users should be able to backup his app's configuration file, so he made it publicly accessible, but neglected to strip the file of the login credentials it had stored ever since version 1.0. There are hundreds of ways to royally screw up, and not all of them are obvious as this example.

Many OS' both are plenty secure and have user accessible file systems.
    While such an argument can be made, most security researchers would disagree. I guess it depends on what your definition of "security" is. These days, most of the purely technical exploits are solved or well managed. These are very dangerous threats, and typically what people on forums think about when they mention security, but that is only a small piece of the security pie.

Today, app developers and smartphone users represent the biggest threat to smartphone security. Part of an OS' job is to protect against errors made by them, malicious or otherwise. That is what the file system restrictions are protecting against.

In a nutshell, the operating systems you are referring to can be secure, but only when expertly administered. Smartphones are consumer products however... they just need to work, and they must do so with zero expert administration. That is a completely different ball game.

I'm not saying the current solution is perfect, far from it. I'm just trying to point out that things aren't as simple and obvious as many think.
    Edson Vuma, amitnahar and neo158 like this.
    10-18-2013 09:26 AM
32 12