So....will there be an actual successor to the 920?

andrewkeith5

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
...or should I remain happy with my phone as it is, getting all of the new features through updates?

When I mean a successor to the 920, I mean something that actually feels like an upgrade. The 925/1020 are essentially just the same phone but for slightly different people - 925 for those to whom weight and slimness matter, and 1020 for those who want a ridiculously good camera. Then of course the announcements today for those who don't use a phone as a phone and carry a special bag just for their mobile...

The 920 fits in very well for those who want a balance of everything - a camera that's better than the majority of competitors, has everything built in, is just about the right size and doesn't miss anything out.

I suppose what I'm really saying is I'm not sure I like the way that Nokia seem to be heading in the direction Samsung are.... Making loads of different phones for tiny market segments. Only unlike Samsung, Nokia appear to have forgotten to make the "base model" any better in the past year... There is no real "Lumia 920 v2"

Still...my upgrade isn't due till July, so hey ho...

The new tablet makes Surface buying tricky though...

fwaits

Mar 9, 2008
Visit site
Probably not until around the release of WP8.1 when they will start refreshing the existing models is my guess.

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I, for one, am glad that they haven't announced the replacements for the x20 series yet. For one thing, Apple has everybody trained to thing that a phone life cycle is nearly exactly a year. The x20 series phones are still fast enough to run any app you can throw at it, and even day one 920 purchasers are only one year into their subsidized contract.

anon(5325154)

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I totally get where you're coming from and have posted about this issue myself.

As fwaits and others have pointed out, the true successor to the 920 will probably come out with WP8.1 next year. The problem with this is it leaves a gaping hole this holiday season for a mainstream flagship WP device. This is not a formula for success especially when Apple already has their A-game on the table and Google is close behind with the Nexus 5 just on the horizon.

DBDev

Jan 13, 2012
Visit site
I am also waiting for a successor to the 920 as a replacement for my Lumia 800. I think the 920 is to old to buy now, and the new phones are too big for me.

troylytle

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
I really think that the 1020 is a worthy phone to call an upgrade. We all bought the latest 9xx series for phenomenal photo performance and what is better than that? 41mp, upgraded OIS and boosted RAM. My opinion.

Qtweeder

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
the 920 is perfect to me, i love its heft, weight, size, the "nokia smile", the inbuilt charging etc, its a thing of beauty from a design perspective, i cant stand all these thin soulless phones - i was gunning for the 1020 as an upgrade to my 808, but not keen on the jutting out island form factor and no inbuilt charging, if they had whacked the 1020 in a 920 chassis it would have been a no brainer for me, as i only just bought my 920 this month, but i know they have to cater for the incorrect majority who want thinner and lighter :)

andrewkeith5

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I really think that the 1020 is a worthy phone to call an upgrade. We all bought the latest 9xx series for phenomenal photo performance and what is better than that? 41mp, upgraded OIS and boosted RAM. My opinion.

The thing is, whilst the camera on the 920 is very good, not everyone bought it only for the camera. The wireless charging was a big selling point for me and others, as was the solid construction and the good design. The 1020 is nice, but in reality its nothing more than a 925 (which is basically a slightly despecified 920) but with a better camera.

There are three things I don't like about the new Nokias. 1) I shouldn't have to pay more to get what I have now, 2) the lumps on the back of the new Nokias are horrible, particularly the 1020, and 3) phone cases are hateful. I much prefer to just buy a properly built phone and look after it instead of adding a lumpy and largely ugly case to it.

DennisvdG

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
The thing is, whilst the camera on the 920 is very good, not everyone bought it only for the camera. The wireless charging was a big selling point for me and others, as was the solid construction and the good design. The 1020 is nice, but in reality its nothing more than a 925 (which is basically a slightly despecified 920) but with a better camera.

There are three things I don't like about the new Nokias. 1) I shouldn't have to pay more to get what I have now, 2) the lumps on the back of the new Nokias are horrible, particularly the 1020, and 3) phone cases are hateful. I much prefer to just buy a properly built phone and look after it instead of adding a lumpy and largely ugly case to it.

Dude... Reading your comment just blows my mind, is this really what you think because it's the biggest bullsh*t I've ever heard... (no offense)

1)if you just sit out your contract I'm sure You'll get something brand new that you're current phone can't match
(what you are describing is exactly what apple is doing)

2)omg ofcours the lumia 1020 has a big bump! It's F-ing 41 megapixels what did you expect!!!??

3)what are you talking about?? All the lumias have a great build quality and are super strong which allows them to take up to 10 times more damage than any galaxy sh*t 4 or Iphone 5 Same, lumia doesn't need a case!

troylytle

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site

I just said that was a big selling point. Never said it was the only reason. The RAM doesn't do anything else huh?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05