Defective Unit?

MattLFC

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
Right, so here's my story...

I've gone from an TouchPro2, to a 7Pro, to a Lumia 710, with a Lumia 610 business phone (still running 7.5 because it's rapid!!), to a Lumia 620, and finally got a Lumia 920 last Saturday...

Never in my life, have I known a phone as useless as the 920!! How on earth did Nokia even allow these units out of the factory (and don't say some units are okay, because it seems from threads on here, 50% of 920 users are happy, and 50% are being pushed towards iPhone's thanks to the useless battery).

Anyway, I've got rid of tonnes of Live Tiles (even the apps themselves incase, facebook, Bing suite of apps etc), turned off Location, Bluetooth, Tap to send, brightness to auto with lowest setting, only had 4 apps left with access to background services, done a soft reset of the phone (which interestingly perked the battery life from 33% before reset to 19% after it), turned off Facebook chat, turned off auto upload on photos, cut emails back to checking every hour... basically yeah, you get it, RENDERED THE PHONE NIGH ON USELESS!!

And still, I left it overnight, and during just under 5 hours sleep... it went from 100% charged to 48!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So now I'm on to a hard reset, just waiting for the phone to re-download the apps (why the hell can't it re-position the live tiles either - pathetic Microsoft, truly pathetic!), speaking of which, for the first time ever on a hard reset, it kept saying "attention required" on the apps, and telling me I had to accept the terms of service, I mean WTF!!! Eventually, I found the terms within the windows phone website, but what a complete joke, how fecking long have I been using the store for, made my first purchase in 2010 IIRC!!

So WITH all the stuff listed above running, on the 620, I'd get a good 8-12 hours, maybe even more, battery life on standby, even if hammering the phone, I'd get a good 4 - 6 hours.

With the 920, it's losing more an hour sitting there doing next to nothing because everything is turned off, than the 620 would with everything turned on, and me actually using the phone from time to time.

Don't get me wrong, I love the phone, the design, the feel, the camera, the screen etc, but Nokia have really screwed up here... I'm hoping a hard reset does the trick (thanks to Microsoft for making the process less automated than it should be), but if it doesn't, do I have a defective unit, or do I just keep hard-resetting until I have a unit that works as it should? Why are Nokia still permitting the sale of the 920 (and the 925 for that matter since the issues seem similar) when they clearly suffer severe issues (telling someone like me to hard reset is okay, but what about a n00b!).

:angry:

EDIT - just going through the phone (actually just done a hard reset so re-setting it up because Microsoft don't actually backup half the settings, how useful!!), and I have the following background tasks allowed, ONLY:

- Battery Pro+
- Frost Free
- Global News Reader
- Markets & Me
- my3
- WPCentral

All these have live tiles attached to them and all running on the 620 and 710 at present. Additionally, the 620 and 710 have double the amount of these live tiles, without issue.

I've also had Xbox gaming and music set to disconnected, which again, isn't done on the 620 or 710.

Anything that involves sending data to Microsoft or Nokia, is turned off. Facebook chat as mentioned, is turned off, it isn't in the 620 or 710. Location services are turned off, again they are turned on on the 620 and 710. Also save check in searches etc...

Mobile network has been changed from automatic to manual and my home network selected, maximum speed set to 3G (we have DC-HSDPA2+ but not 4G until December anyway).

I've actively turned lots off on the phone and in effect limited my enjoyment and usage of the phone, in a bid to conserve battery life. The lack of location services means frost only gives me my home location weather forecast for instance... what is the point in releasing such amazing phones, that aren't actually suitable for their intended use??

If I was an Apple, Blackberry or Android convert, I'd be running a mile right now!

Last edited:

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Searching the forums would have revealed many threads describing the exact same problem. Generally, the answer is that if a hard reset doesn't fix the battery problem with the 920, take it back for an exchange to a different unit.

MattLFC

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
Right, so I reset the device, and turned everything off, and I do mean everything! Except the phone and data connection. Anyway, the battery life seemed okay, so I started testing by turning things back on.

My network is DC-HSDPA2+ only (no 2G) and doesn't support 4G until December, so I set the speed to maximum of 3G and manually selected the carrier so it never searches. I do have data roaming enabled as it will occasionally fall onto another providers 2G network in area's where my home network has no 3G coverage. Tap to send, double tap to unlock, xbox music and games, high sensitivty etc all disabled, also the screen set to lowest and then automatic. Basically, everything you can think of, to lower battery usage.

However, there is 3 POP3 email accounts checking every hour.

This is how it went:

19:30 - 89% - Started test @ 89% battery - with phone and location services turned on ONLY.

20:17 - 89% - very light use within the people hub and IE.

21:30 - 69% - Had a phonecall that lasted an hour or so! So reasonably happy with that.

22:05 - 65% - I had turned on Bluetooth (always have it on for the car kit), sent a few texts, a little bit of IE facebooking etc, nothing huge.

23:00 - 61% - Multiple texts, moderate usage with the text messaging, the odd check of the people hub and IE.

23:30 - 59% - Multiple texts again, not as many as previous though.

23:30 - 54% - RESTART 1 - Yes, it dropped 5% after a restart.

23:31 - 46% - RESTART 2 - Amazing! From 59% to 46% almost instantly, is the OS not reading the battery correctly?

23:32 - 46% - RESTART 3 - Perhaps it's now seeing it correctly?

23:33 - 49% - RESTART 4 - Okay, so we see the picture emerging here, the OS is absolutely useless, or I have a defective battery?!!

23:34 - 47% - RESTART 5 - Back around the 46% level at least...

23:35 - 42% - RESTART 6 - I guess the battery information is pointless then. Cheers Microsoft, you did wonders yet again!

23:36 - 42% - RESTART 7 - That's the final one I can be bothered doing!!

23:45 - 40% - I added the WPCentral app from this point onwards, and enabled the first live tile :-D

00:20 - 38% - very little usage.

00:32 - 38% - very little usage.

01:00 - 38% - very little usage, but I don't believe it!!

01:00 - 37% - RESTART 1 - Okay, so it dropped a point, acceptable!

01:01 - 32% - RESTART 2 - 5% drop in one minute, are you kidding me?!!

01:02 - 32% - RESTART 3 - Consistency perhaps?

01:03 - 28% - RESTART 4 - Damn, maybe not :-(

01:04 - 32% - RESTART 5 - That'll do, 3 out of 5 aint bad. Still a 6 point drop overall though!

01:15 - 29% - But... I installed the following live tile apps: BBC News, Frost, my3, Markets&Me
-------------------------- I also started the built-in Facebook Chat service at this point. So we have a decent amount running now.

01:15 - 24% - RESTART - Just to see what would happen, and a better reading after installing apps and services.

01:40 - 22% - Light usage

02:15 - 22% - Light usage, 7 hours since charge according to the battery information, but lets restart a few times...

02:15 - 26% - RESTART 1 - Wow, a battery that charges itself! The Lumia 920 really does have wireless charging!!

02:16 - 23% - RESTART 2 - Hope this isnt a sign of things to come...

02:17 - 22% - RESTART 3

02:18 - 21% - RESTART 4 - I'm sure there's a pattern emerging here...

02:19 - 20% - RESTART 5 - Okay, I get the picture now, Microsoft can count after all!

So now I'm charging the phone to 100% before I go to bed, and will have all the following running whilst I'm in bed, without the phone on charge, to see what happens:

- Location services
- Facebook chat
- Bluetooth
- BBC News Live Tile
- my3 Live Tile
- WPCentral Live Tile and Toasts
- Frost Live Tile
- Markets & Me Live Tile for NOK share price only
- Bing News Live Tile & Toasts
- Bing Sport Live Tile
- "Battery Live Tile"
- 3x email accounts checking hourly
- For what it's worth, I have my girlfriends Live Tile, Data Sense Live Tile and People Hub Live Tile running. I'm not sure these use a great deal, but worth mentioning. These we're all running throughout the experiment, as was the location services and email accounts anyway.

So I will update in about 8 hours time as to how it gets on overnight.

:)

MattLFC

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
To update, after 7hrs 30 without charger plugged in, and all the services and tiles running as normal, I had 93% battery left. I restarted and it showed 89% battery left. Perfectly acceptable for the amount I'm doing IMHO, 11% in 7 hours without use, I always felt 2% or so an hour is acceptable.

In the end I uninstalled the "Battery" app and didn't install "Global News Reader" to see what happens without them.

So either:
- the phone is faulty, and the battery is all over the place, time will tell...
- the battery has calibrated itself to the software better since the hard-reset.
- either the "Battery" app, of the "Global News Reader" app are causing significant battery drain.

For now, I'm happier, and won't be installing the "Global News Reader" app, and instead relying on the "BBC News" app for my Live Tile and Bing News for toasts, but may install Global News Reader tomorrow, if battery life is still acceptable.

Additionally, the phone doesn't seem to get hot when charging or charging+wifi sharing (I do this a LOT!!), just a little warm now, whereas previously it was burning up.

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
good luck!! Hope the battery life stays stable and well.
but I have to say that your comment
because it seems from threads on here, 50% of 920 users are happy, and 50% are being pushed towards iPhone's thanks to the useless battery
is misleading. Of course a lot of people come here to figure out a problem they have. You can't assume that these are all Lumia 920 users there are. I understand that you are frustrated and rightfully so, but generalizing this to thousands and hundreds of thousands users doesn't make it better. If you read the posts many have only been able to fix their problems by exchanging their phone. It could very well be hardware....

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
My iPhone has some hardware problem! All iPhones suck!
How could Apple put out such terrible hardware! They messed up! How does it even sell?!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss