Nokia 920 screen burn?

x014003

Nov 7, 2013
Visit site
I've got a 920 Rogers unlocked working on T-Mobile USA. I've noticed that on apps or web pages with a white background, the top of the screen has a brownish hue to it. Looks like the display is burning. Had the phone for 10 months. Never had this happen with any of the prior Nokia phones (N9, N8, E7, etc. etc.)

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
So what have you been doing to your device to cause your alledged "screen burn"? Things like that don't just happen on their own.

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Given that the 920 has an IPS LCD display I don't think screen burn is possible with this kind of display. Can you post a picture to show us what you see?

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I had this problem with my Rogers 920 as well, or , at least something similar. White backgrounds had a brownish hue on it. There were spots all over. Looked like water stains. But really only noticed it on the white backgrounds.

Originally thought it was because of my cracked lcd, but this thread now raises some concerns. I eventually changed the LCD though.

Chris Gregory

Jan 8, 2013
Visit site
I have the same thing.
Top 5 mm is browny yellow - really only noticeable when looking at white pages.
I also have a smear in the middle of the screen the same.
Phone issue.jpg
Nokia store said it was due to "overcharging" (I thought they switched off when full ??), and now I have to get it into the Nokia service center.

MacDaMachine

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
I have the same thing.
View attachment 49058
Nokia store said it was due to "overcharging" (I thought they switched off when full ??), and now I have to get it into the Nokia service center.
I think your phone got really hot some how and burned that top part or something like that.

kingenu

Sep 26, 2013
Visit site
happened to mine as well, im so angry about this! how can my screen be burning? i have a 920.
i was all set to get a 925/1020 as my next phone( although my next buy will be in august next year) but things like this make me reconsider sometimes

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Facing the same problem as well on my LUmia 920. What was the cause of the problem?

I have the same thing.
View attachment 49058

Choco22

Jun 23, 2012
Visit site
I have the same thing.
View attachment 49058

My dad is also experiencing exactly like this, just yesterday. Not sure how he get it though. He is very carefull when handling his phone.
Nokia Lumia 920 - White - Indonesia - Unlocked
Now every 920s in my family has a problem with it (3 phones).

Tony BP

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
After reading this post I checked my phone and of course...the screen is burned. I contacted nokia's web support and they said that they were not aware of this problem (I'm in Mexico) and that my cell phone was out of warranty for a couple of weeks but that I could try and take it to the nearest distributor. I did it and the first distributor I visited did not have nokia service and sent me to another one. However, during my visit I saw a demo L920 with the screen burned and also a 925 with the screen burned(?) where you could clearly distinguish the shape of the tiles when opening apps (the shape of the tiles lasted forever...). I ended up at the service center and initially they said they would check my phone and that I had to reset it and come back tomorrow but once I did it they said that I was out of warranty and they would charge for it. Well, it has been about 3 hours and my phone is dead.....I'll have to visit them tomorrow to try to solve this, I don't care anymore about the burned screen but believe me, after seeing two burned screens at the distributor I am really angry about nokia and I don't think I'll buy another WP in the future. Hopefully all those of you that have a lumia under warranty take a minute to check your screen and proceed if needed.
Regards,

Tony

JimmyRandall

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
I have just sent mine in for this problem as well as a couple of others.. over heating and crappy battery life. Should get it back in a week or two. The 920 is about 11 months old.

Tony BP

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
I have just sent mine in for this problem as well as a couple of others.. over heating and crappy battery life. Should get it back in a week or two. The 920 is about 11 months old.
Lucky you that your phone is still under warranty. I had to use nokia software recovery tool to have my phone back in use (was stuck with the gears for two days), but the screen, as expected, is still burned.
Tony

o0Nighthawk0o

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Lucky you that your phone is still under warranty. I had to use nokia software recovery tool to have my phone back in use (was stuck with the gears for two days), but the screen, as expected, is still burned.
Tony

If you are seeing the shape of the tiles on the screen at all times this is called image persistence on LCD screens and can be fixed.

Get a solid white picture big enough to take up the full screen. Put this on your phone. Plug your phone in and set your lock screen timeout to never. Display the solid white picture on your phone and leave it over night. This should get rid of the image persistence. This works on any LCD screen. I do it a lot on security camera systems.

This isn't just a Nokia thing. It can happen with ANY device that uses an LCD display. It happens to TVs, Apples, Androids, laptops, tablets, etc.

Tony BP

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
If you are seeing the shape of the tiles on the screen at all times this is called image persistence on LCD screens and can be fixed.

Get a solid white picture big enough to take up the full screen. Put this on your phone. Plug your phone in and set your lock screen timeout to never. Display the solid white picture on your phone and leave it over night. This should get rid of the image persistence. This works on any LCD screen. I do it a lot on security camera systems.

This isn't just a Nokia thing. It can happen with ANY device that uses an LCD display. It happens to TVs, Apples, Androids, laptops, tablets, etc.

Thanks for the tip, I saw that on the L925 at the distributor, my L920 shows the screen burned as Chris' picture above but not just in the top of the screen but also in the middle. I believe the screen won't fix with your trick but I will try it anyways.
Tony

Taigatrommel

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the tip, I saw that on the L925 at the distributor, my L920 shows the screen burned as Chris' picture above but not just in the top of the screen but also in the middle. I believe the screen won't fix with your trick but I will try it anyways.
Tony

You have to differentiate a few things. The phenomenon called burn-in on screens and displays is dated back to old computers monitors, where often displayed, static images actually "burn-in" on the display. When they show something else, you'll see a ghostly image of the burned-in subject, most likely icons, status bars or in Windows Phones case Live Tiles and virtual keyboards.

However current modern IPS displays, used on the 920, 1320 or 1520 for example, don't have such an issue. If they display such a ghost image, you can try the method mentioned above, by displaying a pure white image for a couple of hours.

Don't do that with a device featuring an AMOLED screen though! Both the 925 and 1020 have such a display. For this technology, imagine every single pixel as some kind of candle. The brighter it shines, the faster it burns down and loses brightness. This is the reason why you can't cure such ghost images on an AMOLED device: if you display a bright white image, the whole pixel matrix starts burnings down, however the already more degraded pixels burn out even further - it's no use curing the hardware. Only way to fix it is by sending in the device for a warranty repair. I don't know how Nokia handles it, but they should replace the screen for free.

Last but not least the shown and described issues in this thread aren't classical burn-ins, it looks like the display got too hot and the matrix got somehow damaged. I don't think you can fix it yourself and would send it back to Nokia for repairs.
It is odd to see how many 920s seem to suffer from such an issue, it might me caused by hardware internals which got too hot for whatever reason.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb