Lumia 920 Apps Not Updating

TripsG

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
I've been wondering if app updates were just slow or if it's something else. But I've now seen 2 updates posted on WPCentral and neither of them showed up on my phone until I went to the apps themselves in the store. Once in the store, the apps showed there was an available update.

Is this a me problem or did something change in the GDR2 update w/Amber or...?

Thoughts appreciated.

TripsG

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
It's been much longer than a day or two unfortunately. I routinely get at least one update per day. I don't have a ton of apps but a lot of them get updated regularly. I'll keep an eye out but was wondering if anyone else was noticing this.

jiayit

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, and I found out that there's a 'time' that your phone checks for updates (every 24h maybe?).
In the past, it used to be in the middle of the night, where I would put my phone into flight mode with no internet connectivity. Of course, my updates never came for 2 whole weeks except when I forgot to put it into airplane mode and it stays connected to WiFi and 9 updates will appear at one go. Someone else identified the problem for me.

Now, it's reset-ed to the middle of the day, around evening. If I happen to have an internet connection, updates will appear. If I set it to data, where I've disabled background data (on GDR3's data sense), updates will not appear.

Bibbleq

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Same issue for me, no app updates for a few weeks since gdr3 preview.. I've tried adding a new keyboard to see if that helps (as the OS seems to reset parts when you do) but no luck.

Any one know a trick to kick the OS into checking?

NinjaPenguin777

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Glad I'm not the only one. Here maps, Here drive, UC Browser they all had updates and I haven't received a thing since GDR2 came out. I did everything manually today

TripsG

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Well, I'm glad I brought it up then as I was beginning to think it was only me. Since GDR2/Amber (AT&T) I have not had a single app push to me like normal (I was aware of the 24 hour thing...my phone routinely gave me updates around 2-3pm daily) and I've also had issues with people not being able to hear me when I call them without me putting them on speakerphone. They can hear me when they call me, but if I call them they can't (this issue was verified by others in a different thread, but I can't find it now).

TripsG

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
I've tried several things short of a complete reboot of the phone and still no joy. Anyone have a good answer out there? It seems I'm not the only one with this issue.

Titaniumgiant

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site
interesting. I am on gdr3 on 920 / Straight talk and I have had no issues at all. uncheck the background data option on gdr3. most likely that is your culprit. Everytime you reset your phone, the check-in time changes. It checks daily once a day. if you have that restrict background data option enabled, it wont check during that window and hence, you will never get an update because..your phone is never checking-in

TripsG

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
I did a soft reboot today. Obviously going to have to wait 24 hours to see if anything updates but still no joy up to this point.

Bull1shbuy3r

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
I do not think that gdr2 or 3 have anything to do with it, I have the same going on with my 520 and 920 and I have not updated any of them to gdr2, this started happening about 5 weeks ago or so... I am pretty sure it is some pathetic windows problem

agd87

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Make sure your phone number is correct on Windowsphone.com.

i have to keep soft resetting my phone for my updates to come through.

TripsG

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Well, lo and behold, I received an unexpected surprise last evening. 16 updates in the windows store. Hoping this problem has sorted itself out. Thank you all for the feedback.

Tom Snyder

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
I'm having this problem as well, it has been a long time since I've received any update notification, I been checking them manually. When a bunch of my apps are out of date my battery life starts going down as well and it seems once I get them all updated battery drain slows down.

Jowey2k

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
Hey all,

I have the same issue and have tried everything short of a factory reset which I'd like to avoid for the moment...

I've been wondering... it is possible that 2FA (Two-Factor Authentication) could interfere with updates?

Does anyone else with update issues have 2FA enabled (meaning you have to use the Microsoft Authenticator app to access you Outlook.com account)?

Thanks.

Joe

Jowey2k

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
http://forums.windowscentral.com/windows-phone-8-guides-how-tos/232982-3.htm#post2215433

The one that worked for me:

From another thread:
"
You have change date on your phone to **.**.2011, restart the phone and than quickly manually change date and time to correct position and that turn the auto mode! Go back to the main screen, all updates will be shown!
It works with all firmwares! BTW your phone will check for updates same time everyday when you made this operation!"

Worked for me!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss