After spending 8 hours trying to recover from spinning gears following a hard reset, of all the methods I tried, this is the one that worked:

-Phone was showing spinning gears
    -Battery was low
    -Took Sim card out
    -I logged into find my phone and erased my phone using the on-line feature: https://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/my
    -Let it sit for 1 hour then turned it off
    -Press and hold the Volume down & Power buttons until the phone vibrates then release the power button but keep pressing the volume down key for approximately 10 seconds until you see a low battery on the screen.
    -If you dont get the low batt and you get the Nokia lego then press the following buttons in this order;
    --Volume UP
    --Volume DOWN
    --POWER
    --Volume DOWN.

-Your phone will now automatically reboot and try again till you get the low batt
    -When the low batt shows up do nothing, it will turn off by itself
    -Let sit for 1 hour and turn back on
    -Press and hold the Volume down & Power buttons until the phone vibrates then release the power button but keep pressing the volume down key for approximately 10 seconds until you see a low battery on the screen.
    -Plug your phone into the charger when you see the low batt
    -If you dont get the low batt and you get the Nokia lego and go back to the spinning gears of death then press the following buttons in this order;
    --Volume UP
    --Volume DOWN
    --POWER
    --Volume DOWN.

-Plug your phone into the charger when you see the low batt but not till you see it
    -Now press the following buttons in this order;
    --Volume UP
    --Volume DOWN
    --POWER
    --Volume DOWN.
    -Your phone will now automatically reboot it will show the spinning gears again but within 10 mins it will start up as a new device.

It seems as th
    11-16-2013 08:44 AM
    11-16-2013 10:21 AM
    Nice how that "fix" comes with a disclaimer about bricking your phone. Total BS that someone should have to go through any of this this just to reset their phone.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    11-16-2013 10:26 AM
    Wish I would have know about that earlier, lol. At least persistence paid off. Hopefully I don't need to, but I'll give it a try next time. :)
    11-16-2013 11:15 PM
    Thanks. Found this post this morning after trying for an hour or two last night, leaving the phone on charge with the low battery symbol and waking up to spinning cogs again. Followed your steps before reading the reply below and all good. Too bad all the other posts can't be deleted and only those that work are left lol.
    04-08-2016 05:41 PM