One year with the 920

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
So it has been one year since the 920 was released. For me, it has been the first phone to be my main driver for an entire year since the early 2000s. It has been amazing at keeping its speed up and performing up to par with many phones with better specs.

Do you still look at your 920 with awe like day one?

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I got my 920 on launch day, and like you, I have had it for over a year. I have taken it on a lot of places, doing different things. The big thing for me is the camera. The camera is still fantastic. I got married in the Outer Banks in September, and my DSLR camera sat in the hotel all week, with all of the pics that I took were with my phone. When my wife and my dad were up for new phones, the phone they both chose were 920s (although my wife may have jumped on the 1020...she bought before it was announced).

The phone is just a well balanced everyday phone. My only gripe is the lack of expandable storage. The ability to add a 64 GB microSD card would make this phone perfect.

sharpycl

Nov 28, 2007
Visit site
I have had my 920 since launch 1 year ago. This phone still does EVERYTHING I need it to do. It has been my daily driver every day since and don't see myself leaving this phone until my 2 year contract is up. At which time I will upgrade to another Lumia ;).

For me it is how well microsoft services works, the camera became amazing with the GDR2 update (for me), and how much better Nokia makes it every 3-4 months (it seems).

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
I have had my 920 since launch 1 year ago. This phone still does EVERYTHING I need it to do. It has been my daily driver every day since and don't see myself leaving this phone until my 2 year contract is up. At which time I will upgrade to another Lumia ;).

For me it is how well microsoft services works, the camera became amazing with the GDR2 update (for me), and how much better Nokia makes it every 3-4 months (it seems).

I think 8.1 will continue to make this phone fantastic for the first half of next year. Who knows what we will see after that.

jrdatrackstar1223

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
I agree. This is the first phone I've had that I can honestly say that I don't need to upgrade. I am not on contract so it is very important that a phone I buy through Craigslist works just the way I need, and although I look at our phones and want the things other phones have from a hardware perspective (better GPU, less air gap thinner screen, thinner body, etc), most of the stuff I wish my 920 had will have to come from Microsoft (such as Cortana, the NFC payments, adding UI changes and bug fixes, etc). I love my 920 and I plan on keeping it until a phone that is either the same size or smaller comes out that also has a processor that will have a powerful enough GPU to handle the games that come out for the next 2 years (tops).

Bodrik

Nov 15, 2013
Visit site
Do you still look at your 920 with awe like day one?

Jokingly it looks very new, yes, because I just got my 2nd refurbished off the warranty. :smile:

It is miles ahead of my last phone. :evil:
My only issue has been I can't take night photos well at all. Mainly I'm not understanding how to photograph the night sky (with the moon visible).

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
I've had the phone about 6 months and it has grown on me. At first I thought it was a bit chunky and it would just be temporary until the next gen phones came out. Now I like the size and feel of the phone and don't have any plans on replacing it.

The only issue now is that there aren't too many good accessories available for the phone. There aren't any new cases being made and the existing ones are hard to find. I wish Nokia made a case other than the CC-1043

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
I've had the phone about 6 months and it has grown on me. At first I thought it was a bit chunky and it would just be temporary until the next gen phones came out. Now I like the size and feel of the phone and don't have any plans on replacing it.

The only issue now is that there aren't too many good accessories available for the phone. There aren't any new cases being made and the existing ones are hard to find. I wish Nokia made a case other than the CC-1043

I could see how there arent many new accessories being made. That said, I love the phone without a case. It feels right to me.

I would love to see a Lumia phone with same dimensions and a 5in screen in the future.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Jokingly it looks very new, yes, because I just got my 2nd refurbished off the warranty. :smile:

It is miles ahead of my last phone. :evil:
My only issue has been I can't take night photos well at all. Mainly I'm not understanding how to photograph the night sky (with the moon visible).
Have you seen this thread? Hopefully it will help you with pictures.

LMZR

May 15, 2013
Visit site
I have some sort of love for the 920, that design just clicks with me, i love it.

But that doesn't mean i have one. :( i wish i could get one, but with getting a 1520, it will have to pass. :|

anon5997296

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I got my 920 just last month and I'm way too much happy showing my iPhone n Galaxy owners friends my camera.. When they talk about OS and other things, I just say them in the nights to take a picture and they faint :-D

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
It is a little silly, but even as we get newer devices, I keep coming back to the 920. Love the way it feels and performs.

How dumb would it be to have waited all this time, maybe cruise into next year, see all these newer devices come out.... and get the 920 anyways?

uopjo6

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
Got my 920 last year too. Still feels fresh. Especially compared to all the new phones that came out this year. The 920 still feels special, unique and the best blend of form x function. The camera is superb with a smooth back, size is perfect, heft is great (for me) and the yellow screams.

It still feels better and newer compared to all the other new phones. I could probably keep this for another year with no hiccups.

*Only complaint I have is 3rd party support. I'm a product designer and I love testing out new gadgets. But stuff like Fitbit, Jawbone UP etc are excluded since they don't have great official apps. Even if they do they're a tad too late to be released. Fitbit is still ok since there's a web platform but I need the phone to work full throttle with these things. All these new "Smart" gadgets / appliances have apps mostly available on iOS / Android. I have an old iPhone 4 still but it's starting to show grandfather time.

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
I think the 920 has this feeling about it because it was the first "higher-end" WP in a lot of people's eyes. It was first to start showing off what Nokia and MS could do.

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
I think another big reason it is able to hang around so well is that there isn't much new things to be had on the newer devices. Camera and screen size have been the only two advantages on other WP phones. Newest phones have/will have faster processors, but there aren't many games in the market that are taking advantage. I am sure this will change, but it is pretty true right now.

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
I think the 920 has this feeling about it because it was the first "higher-end" WP in a lot of people's eyes. It was first to start showing off what Nokia and MS could do.

To me its more than that. Its the way it feels in my hand. I've held a few of the newer, thinner Nokia devices and they just do not have the same feel about them.

I kin't bust mah' hoes upside de haid when dey not puh'fo'min' wid oda' devices.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janecruise