New 920 - First Day Nerves

MC920

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
Having owned a couple of iPhones and loads of Android (HTC Desire, Desire HD, Galaxy S, Galaxy Note, SIII) I've finally decided to go and get a Lumia 920.

First impressions of the phone and OS are very good - screen is lovely (although obvious not as deep black as my S3 or old Note) and Windows Phone feels fresh and clean compared to the clumsiness you get with Android and aging iOS.

I unpacked it last night and spend a couple of hours installing apps, setting up my start page, but one thing that did alarm me was the heat and the battery drain - which is what led me here.

Reading through the threads here it seems this is a common query however I was really hammering it last night - 2 hours solid of screen on and app installation, although it didn't run out it did go down very fast.

Having said that I left it on charge over night, then unplugged 2 hours ago and its still showing 100% battery - I've used it for a few emails and watts app messages so far.

I'm planning on trying to use it 'normally' today - so no crazy 2 hour app installing sessions or just waking it up to look at the screen and I'll see how it goes.

I've turned off Bluetooth, GPS, WIFI and NFC - and I've blocked some of the background apps I know I don't need to update.

Will update later....

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
My Lumia 521 and Lumia 810 both heated up quite a bit when installing the 60 odd apps that I have on both phones. But post app install they work just fine. Enjoy your new Lumia.

dznk

Sep 6, 2013
Visit site
Welcome MC920. It's nice to hear you are trying out a Lumia 920, it's a great phone. It'll be good to hear your thoughts once you've used it for a while. With my 920 I found that the battery life has improved over time (had mine for about 3 months now). It sounds like you have done the correct things in preserving battery life such as turning off NFC, Bluetooth and GPS if you don't need them. You also mentioned background tasks, which is important to check frequently as these tend to build up quite quickly if you are installing quite a few apps. It's always best to check this now and then and block any apps that you don't require to be running in the background.

My 920 will get warm when running intensive apps such as games etc, this is quite normal. Also, if you use a Wireless Charger with it, when charging, the back of the phone will get warm.

Do you have the Amber update installed which is an OTA update? To check, just go into Settings, then extras+info. It will say at the top 'Lumia Amber' if you do have it.

Also, to get you a bit more familiar with WP8, have a look at this thread which will give you some tips and tricks in using WP8 and this one which will give you some great ideas for customizing your start screen.

MC920

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the advice!

I’m not sure if its on Amber at the moment (at work so can’t really check it properly but will later) – it does keep telling me there is an update available – but tells me to connect to WIFI to get it – at the moment I can’t because we just moved and don’t get fibre until Friday (is there a way to force it to update over 3G? – I have unlimited data and I’m in a fast download area).

So far today I used it as I would my S3 – reading emails as they come in, checked twitter, a few Watts App messages and its been off charge just under 4 hours now and showing 94% battery left!! My S3 would be under 90 by now – some days approaching 80 with the same use.

MrWhiteman

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
Having owned a couple of iPhones and loads of Android (HTC Desire, Desire HD, Galaxy S, Galaxy Note, SIII) I've finally decided to go and get a Lumia 920.

First impressions of the phone and OS are very good - screen is lovely (although obvious not as deep black as my S3 or old Note) and Windows Phone feels fresh and clean compared to the clumsiness you get with Android and aging iOS.

I unpacked it last night and spend a couple of hours installing apps, setting up my start page, but one thing that did alarm me was the heat and the battery drain - which is what led me here.

Reading through the threads here it seems this is a common query however I was really hammering it last night - 2 hours solid of screen on and app installation, although it didn't run out it did go down very fast.

Having said that I left it on charge over night, then unplugged 2 hours ago and its still showing 100% battery - I've used it for a few emails and watts app messages so far.

I'm planning on trying to use it 'normally' today - so no crazy 2 hour app installing sessions or just waking it up to look at the screen and I'll see how it goes.

I've turned off Bluetooth, GPS, WIFI and NFC - and I've blocked some of the background apps I know I don't need to update.

Will update later....

First thing to do... get a case or you WILL regret it when you first drop it and dent the corner

MC920

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
Update - just hit 6 hours since charge, normal usage for me - a short call, bit of weather checking and a bit of Bing News reading and its currently on 88%

Certainly no massive draining going on for me so far and better than my S3.

One thing I noticed is that the Vibrate seems very soft. Its ok in the pocket but I didn't notice it 'buzzing' on the desk just a foot away from me and missed a call.

MC920

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
OK - so 12hours since charge and its on 72% which is good enough for me.
Probably used it a bit less than I would usually but not much.

Impressed!

dznk

Sep 6, 2013
Visit site
That battery life sounds absolutely fine to me. The vibrate is a bit soft, I preferred the one on my Lumia 800, but I actually hardly ever use the vibrate myself (just my personal preference). Well it sounds like the first day has been a success overall by the sounds of it :) Plenty of other stuff you'll discover over time with WP8.

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Welcome aboard.

Your 920 battery usage sounds a lot like my current 920's usage. My first 920 (purchased at launch last year) had a bunch of problems including burning through battery like nobody's business; I'm pretty convinced that between my first 920 and my current 920 Nokia noticed something amiss and quietly fixed it.

You really should get connected to WiFi ASAP and get your phone updated. For best performance, make sure you're on Amber/GDR2 (if not GDR3).

dznk

Sep 6, 2013
Visit site
Fibre guy is coming Friday so should be on WIFI by the weekend!

Current version is OS 8.0.10211.204

Yep, you've not got Amber/GDR2 yet then. Like iamtim suggested, whenever you have the wifi up and running, then just run the update and it will install Amber/GDR2 onto it.

MC920

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
Ooof - just sat down for a little play - basically a quick look on twitter then a browse of the App Market - dropped right down in no time - hot as well..... dropped over 15% in less than ten minutes.

Still looks like it will last the day, just surprised to see it plummet after behaving until now.

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Honestly, I wouldn't worry too much until you get updated to Amber/GDR2. You might want to specifically search out a friendly WiFi network just for that purpose.

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
One thing I noticed is that the Vibrate seems very soft. Its ok in the pocket but I didn't notice it 'buzzing' on the desk just a foot away from me and missed a call.

Welcome.

I too think the vibrate is too soft. I use the vibe feature on and off through out the day and I could stand for it to be more powerful. I will miss calls and texts even if it is in my pocket.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss