Multiple recent issues with my 920

Corey

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
I have a Lumia 920 on AT&T that started acting up recently. I'm not sure if any of these problems is related to each other, but they've all popped up at roughly the same time:

1. When I had the bluetooth hooked up to the Jabra Cruiser in my car, the entire phone would completely lock up after a phone call was finished. The screen would stay on while locked into whatever screen it happened to be on last. It would not respond to any input and I'd have to wait until the battery went dead to start over.
  2. When half pressing on the camera button for the autofocus to kick in, the image would actually go completely out of focus. This would happen regardless of the camera app used to take a picture. After turning off the power and turning the phone back on, the autofocus was fixed, but now fully pressing the camera button would instead close out of the camera app (all of them). It would no longer take pictures.
  3. The screen rotation no longer works. The phone stays in portrait mode on every app except for apps that force landscape mode, like certain games.
  4. Games now crash almost all of the time.

All of these problems have popped up over the past week. I've downloaded one new app in that time and deleted it to make sure it wasn't the problem (I really don't think it is). I did a soft reset of the phone to see if this would fix the problems. I haven't tried the Bluetooth thing yet, so I can't say if it works or not. That's the least of my concerns, though, and could possibly be the Jabra Cruiser. The camera issue was sort of fixed. I can take a picture in most of the camera apps I use except for Nokia Camera. That app still crashes as soon as the camera button is pressed. I have no screen rotation. I've searched for the setting to turn on/off screen rotation and I can't find it. Games are still iffy. Some games work, some still crash immediately. I'm not as concerned about the games though.

I've tried a soft reset by going into the settings and resetting the phone through there. Each time I've tried this (on try four), I get the spinning gears that don't go away. I've tried a soft reset by holding the Volume Down and Power button together, and have had to use that on multiple tries to get out of the endlessly spinning gears. I've tried to do the hard reset by pressing the Volume Down, Power, and Camera button together and it does nothing.

During the soft reset, I've started completely fresh, deleting the previous backup and starting from scratch. I've kept the phone completely stock without installing any additional apps to see if it works before installing anything additional. None of this has really done much. The camera mostly works, but is completely hampered by not recognizing orientation changes.

At the recommendation of a thread on the Nokia Support site, I downloaded Sensor Emitter to see if it was possibly a hardware or software issue. The app says this phone doesn't have an Accelerometer, Compass or Compound. Were these functions just not there from the beginning or is the phone not recognizing them? I've used apps that I thought required a compass to be functional, but I could be wrong about that.

So, I'm completely stumped as to what to do. I'm out of warranty and don't have insurance, so I either need to fix this somehow or deal with a phone that doesn't work right anymore. I'm open to suggestions. This is really frustrating.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Obvious hardware failure as it seems you've done everything else to eliminate software as the cause. As you're out of warranty you should try contacting Nokia directly and see what they can do.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss