Protect your tech:Get an Upsie warranty & save up to 70%
    My screen started going completely black during active phone calls, almost like the motion sensor is thinking the phone is in a pocket. I had this happen before and it was fixed with an update, but it seems to have started again with the most current updates. Any ideas. I don't want to hard reset my phone if I don't have to, just to find out it won't fix the problem.
    Last edited by palandri; 12-24-2013 at 08:49 PM. Reason: title
    12-22-2013 01:43 PM
    DO you happen to use a screen protector that maybe covers the proximity sensor? A co-worker had the same issue on his HTC Titan, despite the screen protector being see-through, the phone would think the sensor was blocked. He then simply cut the screen protector and re-attached it, that fixed his problem.

If that's not working (or the issue), it might sound like a hardware issue. Either there's dust in the proximity sensor or maybe the connector is loose. If you're adventurous you can open the device and check.
    12-22-2013 01:49 PM
    If you are saying that the screen goes off when you place the phone close to your ears, then its just the proximity sensor working in there. Its normal in every 920.
    But if it always stays blank, then do as @Localhorst86 says.
    12-23-2013 03:50 AM
    Is it possible you may have hit the lock/power button by accident? I ran into this the other day where my screen would be black even if I took it away from my ear and discovered I had "locked" my phone by accident as I was talking.
    12-23-2013 03:37 PM
    It's a known problem of the proximity sensor, dust infiltrates inside it through the earpiece hole and prevents the light from reaching the sensor. You can blow it with compressed air or take it to a repair center. They'll insert a rubber gasket around it.

Sent from my RM-821_eu_euro2_249 using Tapatalk
    xpxp2002 likes this.
    12-24-2013 08:40 PM
    My screen goes black during phone calls too, even if I have the phone sitting on my desk. The proximity sensor is not being blocked. It's especially annoying when I'm checking voicemails or in an automated system where I need to use keypad to enter digits during the call. I have to push the power button to unlock the phone and even when I do that, screen only stays active for a few seconds and then goes right back to the black screen.
    06-17-2014 11:59 AM
    My screen goes black during phone calls too, even if I have the phone sitting on my desk. The proximity sensor is not being blocked. It's especially annoying when I'm checking voicemails or in an automated system where I need to use keypad to enter digits during the call. I have to push the power button to unlock the phone and even when I do that, screen only stays active for a few seconds and then goes right back to the black screen.
    How long do you have it set for your lock screen to stay on?

06-17-2014 12:20 PM
    can b system issue with proximity sensor. but 101% is sensor related.
    06-17-2014 01:44 PM
    I have a 1520, and this problem started after the 8.1 update... when i'm calling or receiving a call, the screen goes black, and then ai have to lock e unlock the phone...

i dont think this is a hardware failure, because sometimes, it work just fine, going black when i put it in my ears, and the coming back to normal when i take it off...

any ideas???
    08-15-2014 03:44 PM
    I have a 1520, and this problem started after the 8.1 update... when i'm calling or receiving a call, the screen goes black, and then ai have to lock e unlock the phone...

i dont think this is a hardware failure, because sometimes, it work just fine, going black when i put it in my ears, and the coming back to normal when i take it off...

any ideas???
    Same thing. It started after 8.1.
    Hate it. I got 928
    08-15-2014 04:12 PM
    I have an Lumia 800, and recently once a call comes in the screen stays black until the caller hangs up.
    Based on the advice here, I took off my protective case, got a drawing pin and scraped the gunk that had gathered in the thin slot where the earpiece speaker is.
    I popped open the recharging cover, removed the SIM card, then sucked and blew several times...
    Voila - it's working again!
    Must have been a dusty sensor... yay internet you win again!
    11-12-2014 11:07 AM
    I just purchased a Microsoft Lumia 950xl #MicrosoftLumia950xl and it appears that the sensor was blocked by the plastic covering that I had on the phone making te screen go black. SOLUTION: I removed the plastic covering and the screen is ok now.
    12-17-2015 05:31 AM
    Did you ever resolve this, it's really irritating. Screen goes black as soon as you dial a phone number and only comes back if the other end of the call hang-up or you press the power button - a real pain if you're trying to call voicemail or have speaker conversation. It's not related to dirt / broken sensor or screensaver as the sensor works fine on/off when you're not on a call. It only started happening after 8.1 update.
    12-18-2015 02:58 AM
    My screen started going completely black during active phone calls, almost like the motion sensor is thinking the phone is in a pocket. I had this happen before and it was fixed with an update, but it seems to have started again with the most current updates. Any ideas. I don't want to hard reset my phone if I don't have to, just to find out it won't fix the problem.
    I have an Android Turbo and this problem just started happening to me, too. Screen goes completely black, won't let me swipe or back out, and power button only works for a second. My display is set for 30 minutes. I turned my screen saver and security locks off. My proximity sensor is clean as a whistle. I have no other sleep or other display modes turned on. Turned 'privacy' off. Still keeps happening. I was about ready to hurl my phone off a mountain until I saw I'm not the only one.
    09-10-2016 05:08 PM
    I had this happen to me because of dust accumulating in the proximity sensor's chamber. Blowing some air into it fixed it for me.
    09-15-2016 12:02 AM