Interested in the Lumia 920

cr00mz

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site
I have looked at the Lumia 920 for some weeks, i've had nokia phones before and been satisfied with them. At the moment i'm using the X3-02 and i am thinking of upgrading to a smartphone. I had the LG Optimus 4X HD previously but had to return it because the battery life was really bad. I understand that a smartphone cannot have the same battery life as a oldschool mobile, but i would like it to last at least 20-24 hours. Enough time to use a full work day, without having to be careful of not wasting too much battery.

After only 50 minutes of internet (1 hour 10 min Screen on time) my 4X HD was down to almost 60 % battery,(this is without the standard stand-by drainage) this is with WIFI,Bluetooth, NFC, GPS all off. No facebooks or mails updating every 15 minutes, brightness set to 20%. I even removed the vibrate-when-touch option and the light of the touchbuttons down on the phone. It feels like i have to do everything to disable the "smart" parts of the phone just to make it last.

According to this
Nokia Lumia 920 goes through our battery tests, here's how it did - GSMArena Blog
LG Optimus 4X HD fails to impress in battery life test despite power-saving core and large battery - GSMArena Blog

The both phones have comparable Endurance, but I dont know how accurate these tests are for real life. Also I dont know if the 920 has improved anything since the review.

I have read and looked at many reviews for the Lumia 920 many professional reviews and many user reviews and they seem to be all over the place, some say the battery life is good, but there are are also people who say that the battery life is bad. So I dont know what to think.

Anyway, I would make this thread to see if I can become a little smarter, since it is easier to get feedback from asking that just reading a review.

I am sorry if there has been similar topics.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Web browsing for an hour will drain most smart phones quite a bit.

My 920 will last all day if I only use it for checking emails and answering text messages.

Maaz Mansori

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site
I'm not familiar with the 4X HD but I have a Lumia 920 and unless sitting mostly idle with the screen off, 20-24 hours is just not realistic for the battery. I usually have WiFi on which I use more often than not, Bluetooth on (but not usually connected except when driving), GPS on, auto brightness settings, NFC I think I turned off. Anyway, I do periodic calls, text messages, web browsing, etc., plus e-mail is set to sync as items arrive and I have few live tiles and typically I can get through the day without charge and then just charge it overnight.
One question though, if you are primarily using this for web browsing, why not get a tablet instead and keep a basic phone with little or no Internet activity so the battery will last the 24 hours?

cr00mz

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site
I've been thinking about getting a tablet actually, since all I do on my phone is use web browsing anyway I can then save it for sms and calls.. But the thing is the tablets are quite expensive unless you want a Android and even then the cheap one are not very good.

RafRol

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
I'm very happy with my L920 ever since I purchased it on November of 2012. I'll have to admit though, I always have a charger near by; home, work, and two chargers in my car: a DC charger and a spare AC to have just in case I'm visiting friends and family. I'm not a light user of my phone, so on average I charge my Lumia twice a day.

Another thing to consider is that the successor to the 920 will more than likely come out around the summer or fall of 2014, so you may want to seriously consider your timing; but then, there's always something better coming out, right?

Whatsup67

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
hi there just thought i would add my thoughts to this as my lovely wife has a 920.the stand by time is amazing lasting atleast 2 full days on just stand by alone.she uses it quite a bit,atleast 1.5 to 2 hours of internet browsing some metrotube while on the train to work and about 50 to 60 sms.keep in mind though this is over a 2 day period.she has 4g turned off and only uses 3g, wifi on all the time with wifi scanning off when screen is off,bluetooth on for hands free use in the car and a few live tiles running on the home screen,brightness on high and on auto.amazing i think, but thats just her experience i cant speak for others though .hope this sheds some light on your choice.good luck.

TechAbstract

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Lumia 920 will probably give you little better battery life but don't expect much. Lumia 1520 is the one with longest battery life on a phone.

cr00mz

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for your replys people, I will go to the shop and squeeze the phone a little, and see how it feels. As you said RafRol there is always something new coming, but this one is kind of cheap right now, about 200 euros, which is not a very bad price for last years top model.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss