Polycarbonate unibody is peeling

anon(5619589)

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
I just noticed that the back part of my phone(around the camera lens), the cover is peeling off...so, the most outer layer of the body is gone and I can see the inner part of the body which is not shiny...how to stop the outer layer from peeling off???

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920 using Tapatalk

amrut_m

Mar 3, 2013
Visit site
Do you use a Wireless Charger ?
I had the same problem on my red 920, i used a wireless charger on my phone.
Read somewhere use a cloth or some tissues then place the phone on the wireless charger.

Skynetz

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I have a black 920 and it looks like it's dirty on the back, but it's not. I tried several times to clean it, with alcohol too and it doesn't go away.
The first time I noticed this was when I pulled off the original Nokia cover. Weird.

hprvez

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
The original Nokia cover damages the matte coating of the Black 920, creating shiny spots. I've never heard of peeling of the back of the phone, i'd like to see a picture too

Sent from my RM-821_eu_euro2_249 using Tapatalk

gahbmwm5

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Yikes, as I just received my Nokia DT-900 Wireless charger....and I too have a 'red' L920...
I will have to watch this closely....as the above suggestion of placing a cloth or tissues on the charging plate....makes sense, although I like to leave the wireless charger plugged in (even when device is not charging...) It does get somewhat heated...and the tissue may cause issues...a thin handkerchief (cotton) may be the answer...it sure will distract the look...:shocked:

Skynetz

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
The original Nokia cover damages the matte coating of the Black 920, creating shiny spots. I've never heard of peeling of the back of the phone, i'd like to see a picture too

Sent from my RM-821_eu_euro2_249 using Tapatalk

how can this be possible ? Do you have the same problem as me, I thought I am the only one.

It is funny supposing the cover is made to protect the phone, not to damage it, lol.

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
how can this be possible ? Do you have the same problem as me, I thought I am the only one.

It is funny supposing the cover is made to protect the phone, not to damage it, lol.

I had my L920 in a yellow casing for several months and now about two months in a red housing. I am always using a Nokia charger at night. I have not observed this on either the yellow or the red (yet). Note, I am not referring to a protection case but the actual housing of the phone.

I would think these are isolated cases of a housing with a defect and I'd agree to contact Nokia about it. It looks like a problem with the polycarbonate not having been tempered (annealed) correctly and it caused a skin layer with different pre-stress (probably cooled too fast when it came out of the mold). Heat will cause this outer layer to crack off the main housing body over time. This will first happen at the weakest points with most stress, which is at curved openings. Note that the camera cover is actually sitting on a layer of PC, so there is a sharp step where the camera cover is laid down.I would exactly argue this with Nokia Care.

PS; I am not sure what you mean by the cover "damaging the phone". It is still the cover that is damaged, not the phone....Yes, I agree this shouldn't happen.

Last edited:

Skynetz

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I had my L920 in a yellow casing for several months and now about two months in a red casing. I am always using a Nokia charger at night. I have not observed this on either the yellow or the red (yet).

I would think these are isolated cases of a housing with a defect and I'd agree to contact Nokia about it. It looks like a problem with the polycarbonate not having been tempered (annealed) correctly and it caused a skin layer with different pre-stress (probably cooled too fast when it came out of the mold). Heat will cause this outer layer to crack off the main housing body over time. This will first happen at the weakest points with most stress, which is at curved openings. Note that the camera cover is actually sitting on a layer of PC, so there is a sharp step where the camera cover is laid down.I would exactly argue this with Nokia Care.

PS; I am not sure what you mean by the cover "damaging the phone". It is still the cover that is damaged, not the phone....Yes, I agree this shouldn't happen.

You can see what happened in this photo:
aXAsNfp.jpg

The photo is not very good, but this is all I could get now.

P.S; I meant that I had Nokia CC-1043 on, and when I pulled it off I saw this.

Skynetz

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I had my L920 in a yellow casing for several months and now about two months in a red casing. I am always using a Nokia charger at night. I have not observed this on either the yellow or the red (yet).

You can see what happened in this photo:
aXAsNfp.jpg

The photo is not very good, but this is all I could get now.

P.S; I meant that I had Nokia CC-1043 on, and when I pulled it off I saw this.

EDIT: it is seen much better here I think:
o99iQwE.jpg

XucGYya.jpg

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
That's clearly peel, where it was dropped you can see dents, but not on those photos.

And most of this peel was made when I had the original nokia cover on.

these are stains from the Nokia protection case right? (at least from what I see on your images it looks like the PC matte is smudged from the protection case, which has been observed on glossy phones as well, just the other way around).

I guess yours relates to this thread then:
http://forums.windowscentral.com/nokia-lumia-920/254065-stains-my-red-lumia-920-a.html#post2260608

I thought the original OP was about the phone without a protection case on it that has plastic pieces chipping off....
I clarified my post above, in which I was referring to the housing of the phone itself, not a protection case.

Skynetz

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
these are stains from the Nokia protection case right? (at least from what I see on your images it looks like the PC matte is smudged from the protection case, which has been observed on glossy phones as well, just the other way around).

http://forums.windowscentral.com/nokia-lumia-920/254065-stains-my-red-lumia-920-a.html#post2260608

I thought the original OP was about the phone without a protection case on it that has plastic pieces chipping off....
I clarified my post above, in which I was referring to the housing of the phone itself, not a protection case.

Yes the OP thing was without a cover, mine with the official one.
That thread is right about my problem.

anon(5619589)

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
Now i got 2 questions....

1st ques: will polycarbonate unibody gets damaged if a cover is installed???

2nd ques: lets say customer care said that it was not their fault, how can i change the housing???where can i go n change n how much would it cost???

jomarr

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site

Funny how my phone both has the "case" problem and this "peeling" problem. My luck is really something. LOL. I'm going to bring this to Nokia to see what they can do

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss