Polycarbonate unibody is peeling

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
I'm afraid that every Nokia phone that I ever owned suffered from the same problem. It's one of the reasons I wouldn't buy a Nokia again.
You could try contacting your local authority that deals with false advertising, over the use of the term 'unibody' in Nokia's advertising.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
That's clearly peel, where it was dropped you can see dents, but not on those photos.

And most of this peel was made when I had the original nokia cover on.

Ahhh, ok. When I saw these pics, I pulled the cover off my L920 to inspect it. So far, no peeling. I wonder if the materials and or bonding agents used are different on phones with color other than black and white models. I've seen posts like this for yellow, cyan phones too. You know as I think about it, let me ask, who made the cover you used to protect your device? I wonder if that has some bearing on deterioration.

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
Now i got 2 questions....

1st ques: will polycarbonate unibody gets damaged if a cover is installed???

2nd ques: lets say customer care said that it was not their fault, how can i change the housing???where can i go n change n how much would it cost???

1) apparently that happens to some folks that use the Nokia case (CC-1043).
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_s...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUwpUvbUpU2274607
E.g. the glossy surface gets stained and looks matte in random spots and makes the body looks "unpleasant" . I can tell you that this did not happen to my wife's white L920 with an Incipio Dual Pro. The phone looks like brand new after a year in the case. From what I gathered so far the damage occurs only with Nokia's own CC-1043 cover. It is very possible that the recipe they used leaves small amounts of softener that react with the PC.

2) there are two main threads on WPC, one here: there are links in this thread with videos how to change it. After reading all the posts you will however find that not everybody is happy with what they get on ebay. Some of the housings apparently have defects. Most of the people were able to get a refund or exchange. I purchased two so far (red and yellow) from two different ebay sellers and I am satisfied with the outcome.
Another thread is here.

Last edited:

uselessrobot

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
It's got to be a manufacturing defect and as such I'd get Nokia to replace the shell.

I've had my Lumia 920 for over a year now, yellow, and there's no evidence the clearcoat peeling anywhere. The back is scratched up, as you'd expect from a year's worth of use, and it's got a dent in one corner but nothing is peeling anyway anywhere. This does make for a good case for gloss over matte finishes as those tend to rub away and typically do so unevenly.

I should point out that I've never used a case with this phone. I find that most cases tend to cause premature wear because dust gets in between the phone and the case.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
It's got to be a manufacturing defect and as such I'd get Nokia to replace the shell.

I've had my Lumia 920 for over a year now, yellow, and there's no evidence the clearcoat peeling anywhere. The back is scratched up, as you'd expect from a year's worth of use, and it's got a dent in one corner but nothing is peeling anyway anywhere. This does make for a good case for gloss over matte finishes as those tend to rub away and typically do so unevenly.

I should point out that I've never used a case with this phone. I find that most cases tend to cause premature wear because dust gets in between the phone and the case.

I keep a cover on mine and on the back, you cannot tell the difference between it and a new L920 and its over a year old. I have this scratch on the face I can't begin to explain how it got there. lol. But if I clean the oily hand prints, that is all you'll notice.
WP_20131226_17_08_20_Pro.jpgWP_20131226_17_07_44_Pro.jpgWP_20131226_17_17_51_Pro.jpg

jomarr

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
Hi guys, I have just spoken with a Customer Representative Online and here's what he said:

(OP I used you photo if you don't mind, I don't have a photo of my phone with me)

gggg.png

Wish me luck tomorrow!

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
Hi guys, I have just spoken with a Customer Representative Online and here's what he said:

(OP I used you photo if you don't mind, I don't have a photo of my phone with me)

Wish me luck tomorrow!
good luck. Hope you have a Nokia Care Center in the area or you won't have to spend too much time without it.

Skynetz

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Lol, did you tell them what they told you on the official support chat ? Because I tweeted them and they told me this stains are not normal from a cover and that I should bring the phone to the retailer too.

jomarr

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
Could you please link me to your tweet? I tweeted them as well just now and I want to print it out to tell them that's what their support told me. It's hard to explain to people there.

Here's my phone
20131229_002647_resized.jpg

Do you think the scratches persuade them to make a decision because that's not the issue here but the peeling paint. I'm really confused as to if I should actually bring my phone to Nokia Care since it has a lot of scratches at the back but if that (paint peeling) is really caused by mishandling then the peeling shouldn't be concentrated on the camera bezel alone but scattered through out. Also, the camera bezel has no scratches at all. I am currently tweeting Nokia Help. I wouldn't be mad if they deny my phone, I just want a clarification.

Edit: Twitter told me to visit again for reassessment. Now with the picture of my actual phone. I'm printing the tweets and the online conversation for their own reference.

Skynetz

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Could you please link me to your tweet? I tweeted them as well just now and I want to print it out to tell them that's what their support told me. It's hard to explain to people there.

Here's my phone
View attachment 52973

Do you think the scratches persuade them to make a decision because that's not the issue here but the peeling paint. I'm really confused as to if I should actually bring my phone to Nokia Care since it has a lot of scratches at the back but if that (paint peeling) is really caused by mishandling then the peeling shouldn't be concentrated on the camera bezel alone but scattered through out. Also, the camera bezel has no scratches at all. I am currently tweeting Nokia Help. I wouldn't be mad if they deny my phone, I just want a clarification.

Edit: Twitter told me to visit again for reassessment. Now with the picture of my actual phone. I'm printing the tweets and the online conversation for their own reference.
here is the link: https://twitter.com/NokiaHelps/status/416179753452720130

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920 using Tapatalk

jomarr

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
Not NokiaHelps randomly tweeting me today and basically taking back what they said 2 days ago
2m7yjx0.png

I think I'd just replace the case myself. I am really confused as to what this is

Yannie Boy

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site

Here's my phone
View attachment 52973

My phone is starting do the same thing. I play alot of games on my phone. I wonder if it's cause of the heat from the phone due to it getting fire hot under heavy stress. All of my tweet regarding other issues have gone unnoticed and silent.

jomarr

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
My phone is starting do the same thing. I play alot of games on my phone. I wonder if it's cause of the heat from the phone due to it getting fire hot under heavy stress. All of my tweet regarding other issues have gone unnoticed and silent.

They replied to mine but took the "have your phone reassessed" back two days later. Nokia offered me housing replacement for I think 50 dollars with labor. Not sure if I should go for it or not. They said that these are signs of mishandling and that they are not accountable for it.

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
OMG. You guys are really unbelievable. That little bit isn't even worthy of a post. You all have heard of normal wear and tear?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos