01-04-2014 02:54 PM
43 12
tools
    I just noticed that the back part of my phone(around the camera lens), the cover is peeling off...so, the most outer layer of the body is gone and I can see the inner part of the body which is not shiny...how to stop the outer layer from peeling off???

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920 using Tapatalk
    12-24-2013 09:57 AM
    Can you take a picture of it?
    12-24-2013 10:22 AM
    Do you use a Wireless Charger ?
    I had the same problem on my red 920, i used a wireless charger on my phone.
    Read somewhere use a cloth or some tissues then place the phone on the wireless charger.
    12-24-2013 10:30 AM
    I have a black 920 and it looks like it's dirty on the back, but it's not. I tried several times to clean it, with alcohol too and it doesn't go away.
    The first time I noticed this was when I pulled off the original Nokia cover. Weird.
    12-24-2013 02:03 PM
    The original Nokia cover damages the matte coating of the Black 920, creating shiny spots. I've never heard of peeling of the back of the phone, i'd like to see a picture too

Sent from my RM-821_eu_euro2_249 using Tapatalk
    12-24-2013 08:35 PM
    12-24-2013 09:54 PM
    as you guys can see, the outer layer of the body is coming out around the camera lens(2nd image)...
    12-24-2013 09:56 PM
    Yikes, as I just received my Nokia DT-900 Wireless charger....and I too have a 'red' L920...
    I will have to watch this closely....as the above suggestion of placing a cloth or tissues on the charging plate....makes sense, although I like to leave the wireless charger plugged in (even when device is not charging...) It does get somewhat heated...and the tissue may cause issues...a thin handkerchief (cotton) may be the answer...it sure will distract the look...
    12-25-2013 06:50 AM
    i dont use wireless charger
    12-25-2013 08:14 AM
    I would definitely contact Nokia Customer Care:

nam.product.support@nokia.com

Twitter: @NokiaCareUS

If you are indeed located in the U.S.A---->both the above options produced immediate replies for me...good luck as your issue troubles me....
    anon(5619589) likes this.
    12-25-2013 08:54 AM
    The original Nokia cover damages the matte coating of the Black 920, creating shiny spots. I've never heard of peeling of the back of the phone, i'd like to see a picture too

Sent from my RM-821_eu_euro2_249 using Tapatalk

how can this be possible ? Do you have the same problem as me, I thought I am the only one.

It is funny supposing the cover is made to protect the phone, not to damage it, lol.

12-25-2013 12:50 PM
    how can this be possible ? Do you have the same problem as me, I thought I am the only one.

It is funny supposing the cover is made to protect the phone, not to damage it, lol.

I had my L920 in a yellow casing for several months and now about two months in a red housing. I am always using a Nokia charger at night. I have not observed this on either the yellow or the red (yet). Note, I am not referring to a protection case but the actual housing of the phone.

I would think these are isolated cases of a housing with a defect and I'd agree to contact Nokia about it. It looks like a problem with the polycarbonate not having been tempered (annealed) correctly and it caused a skin layer with different pre-stress (probably cooled too fast when it came out of the mold). Heat will cause this outer layer to crack off the main housing body over time. This will first happen at the weakest points with most stress, which is at curved openings. Note that the camera cover is actually sitting on a layer of PC, so there is a sharp step where the camera cover is laid down.I would exactly argue this with Nokia Care.

PS; I am not sure what you mean by the cover "damaging the phone". It is still the cover that is damaged, not the phone....Yes, I agree this shouldn't happen.
    Last edited by Derausgewanderte; 12-25-2013 at 05:31 PM.
    12-25-2013 02:37 PM
    I had my L920 in a yellow casing for several months and now about two months in a red casing. I am always using a Nokia charger at night. I have not observed this on either the yellow or the red (yet).

I would think these are isolated cases of a housing with a defect and I'd agree to contact Nokia about it. It looks like a problem with the polycarbonate not having been tempered (annealed) correctly and it caused a skin layer with different pre-stress (probably cooled too fast when it came out of the mold). Heat will cause this outer layer to crack off the main housing body over time. This will first happen at the weakest points with most stress, which is at curved openings. Note that the camera cover is actually sitting on a layer of PC, so there is a sharp step where the camera cover is laid down.I would exactly argue this with Nokia Care.

PS; I am not sure what you mean by the cover "damaging the phone". It is still the cover that is damaged, not the phone....Yes, I agree this shouldn't happen.
    You can see what happened in this photo:

The photo is not very good, but this is all I could get now.

P.S; I meant that I had Nokia CC-1043 on, and when I pulled it off I saw this.
    12-25-2013 04:51 PM
    I had my L920 in a yellow casing for several months and now about two months in a red casing. I am always using a Nokia charger at night. I have not observed this on either the yellow or the red (yet).

You can see what happened in this photo:

The photo is not very good, but this is all I could get now.

P.S; I meant that I had Nokia CC-1043 on, and when I pulled it off I saw this.

EDIT: it is seen much better here I think:

12-25-2013 04:58 PM
    I can't tell if that's a peel or chipping from being dropped.
    12-25-2013 04:58 PM
    I can't tell if that's a peel or chipping from being dropped.
    That's clearly peel, where it was dropped you can see dents, but not on those photos.

And most of this peel was made when I had the original nokia cover on.
    12-25-2013 05:02 PM
    That's clearly peel, where it was dropped you can see dents, but not on those photos.

these are stains from the Nokia protection case right? (at least from what I see on your images it looks like the PC matte is smudged from the protection case, which has been observed on glossy phones as well, just the other way around).

I guess yours relates to this thread then:
    http://forums.windowscentral.com/nok...ml#post2260608

I thought the original OP was about the phone without a protection case on it that has plastic pieces chipping off....
    I clarified my post above, in which I was referring to the housing of the phone itself, not a protection case.
    12-25-2013 05:27 PM
    these are stains from the Nokia protection case right? (at least from what I see on your images it looks like the PC matte is smudged from the protection case, which has been observed on glossy phones as well, just the other way around).

I thought the original OP was about the phone without a protection case on it that has plastic pieces chipping off....
    I clarified my post above, in which I was referring to the housing of the phone itself, not a protection case.
    Yes the OP thing was without a cover, mine with the official one.
    That thread is right about my problem.
    Derausgewanderte likes this.
    12-25-2013 05:44 PM
    Now i got 2 questions....

1st ques: will polycarbonate unibody gets damaged if a cover is installed???

2nd ques: lets say customer care said that it was not their fault, how can i change the housing???where can i go n change n how much would it cost???
    12-25-2013 08:42 PM

Funny how my phone both has the "case" problem and this "peeling" problem. My luck is really something. LOL. I'm going to bring this to Nokia to see what they can do
    12-25-2013 09:31 PM
    I'm afraid that every Nokia phone that I ever owned suffered from the same problem. It's one of the reasons I wouldn't buy a Nokia again.
    You could try contacting your local authority that deals with false advertising, over the use of the term 'unibody' in Nokia's advertising.
    12-26-2013 06:13 AM

Ahhh, ok. When I saw these pics, I pulled the cover off my L920 to inspect it. So far, no peeling. I wonder if the materials and or bonding agents used are different on phones with color other than black and white models. I've seen posts like this for yellow, cyan phones too. You know as I think about it, let me ask, who made the cover you used to protect your device? I wonder if that has some bearing on deterioration.
    12-26-2013 09:00 AM
    Now i got 2 questions....

1st ques: will polycarbonate unibody gets damaged if a cover is installed???

2nd ques: lets say customer care said that it was not their fault, how can i change the housing???where can i go n change n how much would it cost???
    1) apparently that happens to some folks that use the Nokia case (CC-1043).
    http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss...pUvbUpU2274607
    E.g. the glossy surface gets stained and looks matte in random spots and makes the body looks "unpleasant" . I can tell you that this did not happen to my wife's white L920 with an Incipio Dual Pro. The phone looks like brand new after a year in the case. From what I gathered so far the damage occurs only with Nokia's own CC-1043 cover. It is very possible that the recipe they used leaves small amounts of softener that react with the PC.

2) there are two main threads on WPC, one here: there are links in this thread with videos how to change it. After reading all the posts you will however find that not everybody is happy with what they get on ebay. Some of the housings apparently have defects. Most of the people were able to get a refund or exchange. I purchased two so far (red and yellow) from two different ebay sellers and I am satisfied with the outcome.
    Another thread is here.
    Last edited by Derausgewanderte; 12-26-2013 at 10:55 AM.
    12-26-2013 10:39 AM
    It's got to be a manufacturing defect and as such I'd get Nokia to replace the shell.

I've had my Lumia 920 for over a year now, yellow, and there's no evidence the clearcoat peeling anywhere. The back is scratched up, as you'd expect from a year's worth of use, and it's got a dent in one corner but nothing is peeling anyway anywhere. This does make for a good case for gloss over matte finishes as those tend to rub away and typically do so unevenly.

I should point out that I've never used a case with this phone. I find that most cases tend to cause premature wear because dust gets in between the phone and the case.
    12-26-2013 11:14 AM
    It's got to be a manufacturing defect and as such I'd get Nokia to replace the shell.

I've had my Lumia 920 for over a year now, yellow, and there's no evidence the clearcoat peeling anywhere. The back is scratched up, as you'd expect from a year's worth of use, and it's got a dent in one corner but nothing is peeling anyway anywhere. This does make for a good case for gloss over matte finishes as those tend to rub away and typically do so unevenly.

I should point out that I've never used a case with this phone. I find that most cases tend to cause premature wear because dust gets in between the phone and the case.
    I keep a cover on mine and on the back, you cannot tell the difference between it and a new L920 and its over a year old. I have this scratch on the face I can't begin to explain how it got there. lol. But if I clean the oily hand prints, that is all you'll notice.
    wp_20131226_17_08_20_pro.jpgwp_20131226_17_07_44_pro.jpgwp_20131226_17_17_51_pro.jpg
    12-26-2013 07:32 PM
43 12