Best charger ?

Hristiqn Vitanov

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
Hello,
I want to ask which charger is better.
I have original nokia lumia 920charger which is 1A output and i have nokia lumia DT-900 charging plate [iq] bu it is 0,75 A output. They are both made for Lumia series but not sure which one is better to use. =)

radmanvr

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
I'm not a master electrician or anything but I do have some brief knowledge I would like to share. If the output is lower than what is required by the phone. The phone may not charge correctly. Contrary, if the output is higher than the required then you can short or start a fire.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Hello,
I want to ask which charger is better.
I have original nokia lumia 920charger which is 1A output and i have nokia lumia DT-900 charging plate [iq] bu it is 0,75 A output. They are both made for Lumia series but not sure which one is better to use. =)

Of those you specify, the 1.0A > 0.75A and so will be faster to charge.

Charge plate is more convenient so may be "best" for some..

Internally the phone has a very smart charger IC that controls the current used to charge the phone. A higher rated charger states what it claims to be able to provide, not what the phone will use. So using a charger with a higher current (A) value will not harm the phone.

What may damage a phone is using a cheap, crappy charger that may not output 5V or may be completely unstable under high loads. Generally the internal charger IC will protect against most things even a cheap charger can get wrong, but there are limits...

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Realize that both the wired charger and the charging plate are built by Nokia, the phone manufacturer. They know the specs and allowances for the telephone. Now, the which one is better argument depends your preference. The wired charger will charge slightly faster, and you can charge your phone while you are using it. While the phone is on the wireless charging plate, you can technically use it, but if you bump it off the plate, it will stop charging. The charging plate is convenient to have on your desk and just sit down when you're not using it.

Hristiqn Vitanov

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
Thank you for the answers :). I have 1 more question. I have read a lot of posts and forums about what is the best healthy way to charge a li-on battery. The best way that was mentioned was to charge it between 20-90%. Is this true and it was sated that 1 cycle for this batteries is lets say 100% battery value not 1 plug/unplug of the charger :? xD and 1 more a friend of mine has Galaxy which charger is 2A is it problem if i charge it with it :? From the answers above and what i have read i think if it is lower then the normal value is bad for the battery but if it is bigger the phone will charge quicker and my mainly question was about this because both of the chargers are made for Nokia Lumia 920 but original is 1A and the plate is 0,75A.

Last edited:

AndrewL920

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
Hi I have a question. I don't have wireless charging plate. I wonder if I can charge my phone in wireless charging plate with a back cover protection on or should I remove the back cover of my phone to be able to use the wireless charging plate?

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Thank you for the answers :). I have 1 more question. I have red a lot of posts and forums about what is the best healthy way to charge a li-on battery. The best way that was mentioned was to charge it between 20-90%. Is this true and it was sated that 1 cycle for this batteries is lets say 100% battery value not 1 plug/unplug of the charger :? xD and 1 more a friend of mine has Galaxy which charger is 2A is it problem if i charge it with it :? From the answers above and what i have red i think if it is lower then the normal value is bad for the battery but if it is bigger the phone will charge quicker and my mainly question was about this because both of the chargers are made for Nokia Lumia 920 but original is 1A and the plate is 0,75A.

As I said, the phone will control the charge rate, independent on the charger output capability.

A Li-ion cell typically has a peak recommended charge current of 0.7C. So for a 920 which has a 2000mAh battery, this would equate to a 1.4A charge current. But you really don't have to worry about that at all as the phone manages it internally. Using a 2A Galaxy charger will not 'over-charge' your battery and is fine to use.

As to what is the best point to charge - 20%-90% etc. the lower the discharge (i.e. higher %), the more charge cycles a battery will permit, however you'll need more cycles to use it the same time... so going to around 30% battery left is probably optimal.

Personally I doubt that a 100% discharge is really 100%. I've never opened up the phone and seen the real voltage when "100%" discharged. I suspect Nokia have some allowance in there so phones don't need new batteries too quickly which may make the real answer lower.

isleidyll

Nov 25, 2013
Visit site
Of those you specify, the 1.0A > 0.75A and so will be faster to charge.

Charge plate is more convenient so may be "best" for some..

Internally the phone has a very smart charger IC that controls the current used to charge the phone. A higher rated charger states what it claims to be able to provide, not what the phone will use. So using a charger with a higher current (A) value will not harm the phone.

What may damage a phone is using a cheap, crappy charger that may not output 5V or may be completely unstable under high loads. Generally the internal charger IC will protect against most things even a cheap charger can get wrong, but there are limits...

I bought a Chinese made Qi compatible charger on eBay for about $16 including shipping and it performs flawlessly with my Lumia 920. It does NOT seem to have any of the problems reported on various posts -- overheating, chiming at night and so forth.

mihina

Jan 14, 2014
Visit site
Is it imporant what do you plug-in first? do i have to plug in the micro usb in phone, then the charger in socket or other way?
is it even important or am i asking a dumb question?

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
It doesn't matter. I'm betting most people just leave the power adapter and USB cord plugged into the wall eternally and plug their phones in when they wish to charge.

kevinxb

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I bought a Chinese made Qi compatible charger on eBay for about $16 including shipping and it performs flawlessly with my Lumia 920. It does NOT seem to have any of the problems reported on various posts -- overheating, chiming at night and so forth.

Which one do you have? I bought one of the circular ones on ebay as well and it works great. Only thing it does differently is beep when you put the phone on it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte