Dilemma (buy or not to buy)

Ganjagrel

Jan 7, 2014
Visit site
Hello everyone! :smile:

So, I've been checking WPC forums because of Lumia 920, which I wanted to buy. It struck me how many people have battery issues and some random glitches.
I did a sum up, and came up with an idea of getting L1020 instead. Unfortunately, it seems that these devices might share the battery problem. Well, ok, looks like a software bug, let's get back to L920 then.
And yes, I've read about possible fixes of that - disabling background apps, updates, NFC etc. but even then the device is kind of unpredictable. Is that true?

Let me sum it up to a couple of questions:
1. Does tweaking settings (like background apps, disabling NFC, GPS, updates) help device's battery last longer? Or it still may have some issues and you can't predict how it will behave?
2. Did GDR2/GDR3 improved the batterly life of these devices? (both L920/L1020)
3. This one is also importat for me and I couldn't find any specific information about it - what about MUSIC QUALITY of the built in audio interface? Prefered opinions of users with good headphones - are you glad of the quality that the L920 can provide to your ears? Any previous experiences?

AndrewL920

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
Hello everyone! :smile:

So, I've been checking WPC forums because of Lumia 920, which I wanted to buy. It struck me how many people have battery issues and some random glitches.
I did a sum up, and came up with an idea of getting L1020 instead. Unfortunately, it seems that these devices might share the battery problem. Well, ok, looks like a software bug, let's get back to L920 then.
And yes, I've read about possible fixes of that - disabling background apps, updates, NFC etc. but even then the device is kind of unpredictable. Is that true?

Let me sum it up to a couple of questions:
1. Does tweaking settings (like background apps, disabling NFC, GPS, updates) help device's battery last longer? Or it still may have some issues and you can't predict how it will behave?
2. Did GDR2/GDR3 improved the batterly life of these devices? (both L920/L1020)
3. This one is also importat for me and I couldn't find any specific information about it - what about MUSIC QUALITY of the built in audio interface? Prefered opinions of users with good headphones - are you glad of the quality that the L920 can provide to your ears? Any previous experiences?

1. If you will going to buy a brand new 920 and not refurbished or used phone, you will definitely have 1 day and 7 hours of battery life with moderate use. Just tweak some settings like turning of background tasks, NFC, Location, etc to improve battery life. This is my second 920 which is brand new because the first one I got is a refurbished defective phone with terrible battery life.
2. GDR2/GDR3 definitely improved the battery life.
3. I am a guitarist and I am very strict when it comes to this kind of stuff. The sound quality of 920 is not good in my opinion (Well at least it is just my ears) . My Zune 120GB Mp3 Player is better a miles away from 920. (I am using a quality headphones).

Buy it! You will not regret buying a lumia 920. Just hope you will going to buy a not defective phone. Always check the lifetime timer before you buy it to make sure it is not used.

nagatofm

Dec 1, 2013
Visit site
1) Tried them, hasn't seen a lot of difference. Standby on WP is awesome. Even with fully untouched settings my phone looses less then a 1% per hour when in standby. If you plan to use your phone really heavy, don't update to GDR3 using Dev Preview immidiately. Wait till Nokia release it and see feedback.
2) WIth GDR2 my battery life was better. There were less random drain and it wasn't overheating so much when running heavy apps.
3) That's a good question. I've used iPod (the classic one though >_>), HTC with Beats (both software and headphones), some Samsung phones with the same beats headphones and after I bought Lumia I was both impressed and dissapointed. Sound QUALITY on L920 is perfect: no noise, no distortion, everything is glass-clear. But the sound is really, REALLY plain. At first I thought I haven't completely plugged my headphones in. After iPod and (SUDDENLY) Samsung with its really powerfull equalizer L920 sounds like someone took a roll over my music with asphalt compactor. It can be made better with custom equalizer but it won't fix it completely. I had to get used to it and I'm pretty much satisfied. But it's for me and your experience may be different, because I mostly listen to some rather quiet music like shoegaze, neoclassics and some electronic music and L920 is doing a great job here: everything is clean and vivid. But when it comes to some metal or alternative music, full of bass and distorted guitars, you may not be satisfied. For example, Deftones' "Be quiet and drive" sounds like someone had adviced Deftones to play every instrument with the same level of volume.

Ganjagrel

Jan 7, 2014
Visit site
Alright. Can anyone compare the battery life of L920 vs L1020? Same capacity, wondering how other diffrences change the behaviour.

AndrewL920

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
Alright. Can anyone compare the battery life of L920 vs L1020? Same capacity, wondering how other diffrences change the behaviour.

Both of them have 2000mah battery. However, 1020 has AMOLED display which is energy efficient than the IPS LCD. 1020 has bettery battery life by about 10%. No difference at all. If I can afford the 1020, I'll definitely choose it over 920. :)

Last edited:

Saikat Halder

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
How different is Lumia 720 from Lumia 920, in terms of battery, I am using L720 for 6 months, its good phone, i like it very much, because of its design and camera, but I need a bigger screen phone with 1 GB RAM, I thought of having L920/925. Is it worth upgrading?? my L720 is still in warranty, till 2015 may. I can not afford L1520, becase its out of my budget. please advice. people............is it worth upgrading to L920frm 720, if not then which phone should i buy?

AndrewL920

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
How different is Lumia 720 from Lumia 920, in terms of battery, I am using L720 for 6 months, its good phone, i like it very much, because of its design and camera, but I need a bigger screen phone with 1 GB RAM, I thought of having L920/925. Is it worth upgrading?? my L720 is still in warranty, till 2015 may. I can not afford L1520, becase its out of my budget. please advice. people............is it worth upgrading to L920frm 720, if not then which phone should i buy?

920 and 720 has the same 2,000 mah battery and both uses iPS LCD display. But 720 having smaller screen will have better battery life by about 3-5%. Not noticeable. Just save money and buy 1020 for better display and camera. 512mb ram is not good

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ayven