ATT will not unlock my 920.. is this right? I believe they are wrong..

jkrc717

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
I sent a request to unlock my 920 through the website. They said I would get a response within 48 hours or up to 5 business days which doesn't make any sense, but whatever. It's past 5 business days and it says still pending.

I called and a customer rep said they will not unlock the phone because I'm still under contract. I have had this phone since it first came out.

I have read that others were able to unlock their devices. Even with new phones such as the 1520. Does anyone have any advice?

I was so angry that I canceled my service with them without paying my bill or paying for termination or anything. I don't care what they do with my credit. They won't see another penny out of me!

fdalbor

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
I am pretty sure they won't unlock your phone until it is paid for. So if your plan is still ongoing the phone is not fully paid for. But they have so many restrictions on uplocking. I have two 520's and they won't unlock either of them. They say on prepaid they won't unlock a phone for 6 months even though both phones were bought and nothing is owed on either. To be honest I have not run across anyone who has gotten AT&T to unlock their phone. I know when my plan runs out I am going to get all three unlocked and T-Mobile here I come. MIght take them up on their buyout plan to get people from AT&T to T-MObile.

cruzcat

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I got my AT&T 920 unlocked right after the 6 month exclusive period last May. However, looks like they have changed their policy since.
A couple of months ago, I got the lumia 520 since I was traveling and tried the automated unlock service and CSR phone route but was unsuccessful. I tried playing around with their online unlock service and just for fun entered the details ( of my previously unlocked) lumia 920. Guess what, I got an email right away mentioning that I am under contract and the device cannot be unlocked :).

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I got my old iPhones unlocked after the end of contract... I.e. when the phone is effectively "paid for". You may have to wait up to another year depending on your contract.

Now we see why off-contract is getting more attractive...

NokFromApp

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
They should unlock it. I've had them unlock two of my 920s and I am still under contract. Their policy for iPhones is different, in that they only unlock iPhones once the contract ends. But for all other phones, they unlock after 90 days or 180 days I think.
They do have one more limitation I believe...that you can unlock only unto 5 phones a year

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12