Black update if you have dev preview?

fiveaces01

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
I am also running a Rogers ROM Nokia 920 (flashed phone to get the Amber update) and then installed the preview for dev app. I assume you are sure about needing to unsubscribe to that app in order to get the Black update. My actual carrier is still ATT and the gdr3 update came thru with no issues and has been terrific to use. Please advise

Mr Lebowski

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
No Preview is OS has nothing to do with Nokia Black other than Nokia Black has GDR3 but you don't have to uncheck "Enable Preview for Developers" in order to get Nokia Black when it comes to AT&T or Rogers -whoever you'll get Nokia Black from.
But either way doesn't guarantee you'll get Lumia Black but checking or unchecking won't prevent it or make it available.

Mr Lebowski

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
Is it possible that because I flashed the phone that I won't receive OTA's ? I got the last update for GDR3 just fine OTA

Firmware or OS, I'm assuming that you have GDR3 because you signed up for the Previews for Developers program and also got that minor OS update about a month ago ? but that was sent by Microsoft and not your carrier who ever that is. But flashing your phone wouldn't effect OTA OS updates from MS but maybe (not 100% sure ) only firmware updates from Nokia because it's the carrier who distributes those. But if your present carrier sends out an OTA update they don't know if your phone is flashed so why not ?

mrvhin1216

Jan 10, 2014
Visit site
That's my concern, too. If I need to opt-out of the Preview or not, to get the Black update. Does the GDR3 Preview differs from the official release, or they are just the same? Also, are all devices going to be updated within this month? If so, I'm finding it a bit slow. More countries and devices should have gotten the update by now. Or, I guess I just need to exercise more patience. Lol!

Mr Lebowski

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
That's my concern, too. If I need to opt-out of the Preview or not, to get the Black update. Does the GDR3 Preview differs from the official release, or they are just the same? Also, are all devices going to be updated within this month? If so, I'm finding it a bit slow. More countries and devices should have gotten the update by now. Or, I guess I just need to exercise more patience. Lol!

Opting in opting out of the MICROSOFT'S ( that is the key) Preview for Developers has 0 effect on whether or not you get or
don't get LUMIA BLACK. 0, nada, null, zero, zip.
Update 3 (GDR3) is the same as it appears in Lumia Black. If you read about Black in the first few days it said
China was first and in the following weeks other countries would start to see a rollout, it didn't say EVERY
other country all at once would but said "start to roll out with the update." It's be 5 days ?
This happened with Amber why are so few remembering the time it took with Amber?
some still don't or didn't get Amber, you just have to wait. :wink:

dimatador

Aug 7, 2011
Visit site
Okay guy let me tell you I'm with Rogers and Rogers will take for ever to do updates so I always take matters into my own hands and I look hard for a ROM that is open and not provider locked.i did this with my NLM 920 nd 1020, I flash a rom from Europe into my 1020 two days ago and as soon as I was done I checked for updates and wala black came throw I downloaded the sysapp app and I did the rest with it. You can flash latterly any ROM into this devices, for the 1020 I never tried the Chinese(RM-876), 1020(RM-875,RM-877). For Nokia 920(RM-820,RM-821)remember this voids your warranty and I'm just telling you what I did. Do this at your own risk!!

mrvhin1216

Jan 10, 2014
Visit site
Can you please provide a link on how to flash a ROM? Specifically, for RM-941 Hong Kong, Lumia 625? My phone doesn't have warranty, anyway. Haha.

Moiz Mian

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Yes, you will get the Black Firmware even though you have GDR3 preview. I have the same, and got updated to Black on my 1020 a couple weeks ago. Just be patient and check Nokia's Update Availability support page

Mr Lebowski

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
Did you have to opt-out of the Preview, or no need to?

You don't need to, this is discussed in numerous threads and numerous members have the preview got & Black and didn't opt out.
It makes no difference if you have it or not, if you have it and then opt out, if you have it and don't opt out.
It depends on your carrier and or region and if your Lumia is compatible and the 920 is, don't worry, but you do have to wait.:smile:

Find you region (scroll down) find your country, find your phone, find the carrier and what it indicates for Lumia Black update,
it's will be either "waiting for approval" ( the carrier is active study to approve it ) "available" ( which mean it's coming very soon or it is already OTA)
and "Not Available" which is pretty much self explanatory. You can watch progress 24/7 so when it says "available" for your phone/carrier
you can open a bottle of champagne, celebrate, and then go back to sleep and stop stressing if it happens at 3 am:wink:
http://www.nokia.com/global/support/software-update/wp8-software-update/

Last edited:

mrvhin1216

Jan 10, 2014
Visit site
My 625 shows manufacturer name is RM-941 Hong Kong, but I am in the Philippines. So which availability should I check? HK country variant says 'coming soon', while for my country, it shows 'waiting for approval'.

Mr Lebowski

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
My 625 shows manufacturer name is RM-941 Hong Kong, but I am in the Philippines. So which availability should I check? HK country variant says 'coming soon', while for my country, it shows 'waiting for approval'.
If you're not connected to a HK provider who would send it OTA to your phone, wouldn't be the provider ?
is your carrier in the Philippines? I'd check your provider if it's in the Philippines and do they even sell 625 ?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte