Hi there.
    I recently updated my Nokia Lumia 920 to the Black Update - before this it was fine and most things worked okay.

But now I cannot connect it via USB to my PC which is running Windows 8.1 - it charges and has recognized it once which it said the device had malfunctioned previously - but now it won't even show up with that. There's nothing under Devices and Printers and also nothing under Device Manager.

It is the Nokia USB cable that came with it and also I have tried plugging it in and doing a soft reset - still no joy.
    Uninstalled all Nokia related content from my PC to try and start afresh but nothing. The phone itself is working but recently it won't let me upload images to Facebook and also the Facebook app is being weird and won't connect - not sure these are linked but thought I'd mention anyway.

Has anyone got any suggestions at all because it's doing my head in a bit now and I have tried most of the suggestions that I have found through searching this site and others.

Thank you.
    02-15-2014 02:27 PM
    does your device have any water damage or dropped recently?

I would do a soft reset on your computer as well. Temporarely take off your password on your device and try sycing it with a different USB port.
    02-15-2014 04:36 PM
    I had same problem after Black (928) I did soft reset and USB 3.0 ports didn't work but connecting via USB 2.0 worked fine. So try doing soft reset and different ports. Good luck
    02-15-2014 05:22 PM
    No water damage and not been dropped... I've fully updated my PC and tried all the ports as well as a different PC altogether - still no luck - i'm pretty sure it was the Black update as it was fine before this.
    02-15-2014 05:58 PM
    Same problem here as well,I own a white lumia 920 and can't access my phone storage when connecting via USB.It starts charging but the phone doesn't get recognized.
    02-16-2014 08:27 AM
    Not really a help, but my 920 works with the Surface Pro. It's shown under My PC, or you can access through the Modern UI app.

You could try removing the phone through Device Manager -> Portable Devices and re-install the drivers. If the device doesn't show up go into View -> Show hidden devices.

It may have corrupted the drivers, so you may need to force a re-install by the above method.
    02-16-2014 09:20 AM
    Nope nothing seems to work, pretty sure it was the update that did it :/
    02-19-2014 05:31 PM
    I've had the same problem, installing the windows phone app hasn't helped either.
    08-01-2014 04:25 PM
    Same problem here as well,I own a white lumia 920 and can't access my phone storage when connecting via USB.It starts charging but the phone doesn't get recognized.

You need to enable File access in settings on phone. By default USB is set for charging only AFAIK
    08-02-2014 03:23 AM
    This is a new security feature as I understand.
    Sent from my Lumia 920 using Tapatalk
    08-02-2014 03:23 AM
    Hmmm. It seems the solution, for me at least, is that my phone will now only allow file transfers using the cable that came in the box. Any other usb cables no longer work for anything other than charging. This is a stupid, stupid change to make.
    08-10-2014 08:55 AM
    This probably applies to those that have popped their phones open. But after trying multiple computers and usb cables, I was pretty certain that it was a hardware problem. It turns out that when I switched the housing of my lumia 920, I was not very careful and my usb ribbon cable was bent and damaged. I ordered a replacement from ebay, and now my computer can recognize my phone.
    08-12-2014 12:32 AM