How do I unlock an AT&T Lumia 920 that I bought from ebay?

JustinSalvato

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
I have a Nokia Lumia 920 that still has the last owner's phone number on it. The SIM card is defunct i.e. not valid so it's not as if I could make phone calls with that person's phone number (wasn't planning to), but I would like to bring it over to my T-Mobile account.

How do I remove that person's phone number? How do I unlock a phone that wasn't originally purchased by me?

The AT&T website says the following:[h=3]General eligibility requirements for unlocking all AT&T wireless devices[/h]You must meet the following requirements to unlock an AT&T wireless device:

• The person requesting the unlock code must be one of the following:
    • A current AT&T customer
    • A former AT&T customer who can provide the phone number or account number for the account
  • Your device was designed for use on AT&T's network.
  • Your device must be paid for in full.
  • Your device wasn't reported lost or stolen.

That person swears it's not stolen. Fine, but they won't help me out otherwise. Should I try this on my own even though the only information I have is the current phone number? Any help would be appreciated.

JustinSalvato

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
I really appreciate your input inteller. Thanks. I get the feeling same feeling from AT&T.

Ah, I got myself a nice doohickee regardless aka media device.

etad putta

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
you aren't going to get anywhere with them. Until proven otherwise I will assume the phone is not stolen. Still doesn't matter with ATT. I brought this up in another thread and the ATT apologists chided me and treated me just as ATT did, a second class citizen.

Even though you wholly own the hardware, you have no right to unlock it according to ATT.

Don't feel left out though. A person that buys a BRAND NEW 1520 from Amazon wireless TODAY can't get the phone unlocked either, because they were never an "ATT customer"
Inteller you know we love you, but if they don't unlock, they don"t unlock. Sell it, buy one unlocked already and be happy. 8.1 is right around the corner (we hope) good times ahead!!

Ordeith

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Look into AIO? There are reports that many ATT locked phones still work just fine with them. I will be testing it out myself tomorrow. :)

rwest003

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site
Well, I was on the same boat as you and I went and purchased an unlock code online.

The site is called cellunlocker.net. There you search for the manufacturer, model and carrier it is locked to. Then you provide the IMEI and place the order and you will receive the code in a couple of minutes (mine took 8 minutes to arrive)

The draw back: It will cost you $14.99 but you can pay with paypal :wink:

etad putta

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
Well, I was on the same boat as you and I went and purchased an unlock code online.

The site is called cellunlocker.net. There you search for the manufacturer, model and carrier it is locked to. Then you provide the IMEI and place the order and you will receive the code in a couple of minutes (mine took 8 minutes to arrive)

The draw back: It will cost you $14.99 but you can pay with paypal :wink:

How long ago did you try this?

rwest003

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site
Hi there.

Did that 1 time this year and 2 last year (Lumia 820, Motorola Atrix 2 and LG Optimus G).

The last one I did it almost a month ago.

JustinSalvato

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
Hi there.

Did that 1 time this year and 2 last year (Lumia 820, Motorola Atrix 2 and LG Optimus G).

The last one I did it almost a month ago.

I'm starting to think you work for cellunlocker.net because 18 days later, I have not gotten my unlock code. Think the site is a scam. They keep giving me the wildest excuses about the delay.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
I'm starting to think you work for cellunlocker.net because 18 days later, I have not gotten my unlock code. Think the site is a scam. They keep giving me the wildest excuses about the delay.

Well not really, the site is a genuine site. I've unlocked quite a number of phones from them including my current Rogers 920. The problem is not the site but ATT here, when it comes to unlocking phones for non customers they give all sorts of bull**** reasons, they gave 2 different reasons for not unlocking my 1020 i had bought a while ago, eventually i had to sell it off

Last edited:

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

ATT has really cracked down on unlocking IIRC, I remember walking into a small shop and getting a $70 price quote on an iPhone 5/L920 ATT unlock.

Biggest piece of advice I can give is to NEVER buy secondhand ATT phones with the intent to unlock it. I called them for info on a paper I have to cobble together, and the ORIGINAL owner will have to unlock it no matter how much you scream at them. They WILL NOT unlock if you are not the original owner. Save the headache and buy already-unlocked devices.

I don't think I can even unlock my Cingular Treo now with their policies.

JustinSalvato

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
ATT has really cracked down on unlocking IIRC, I remember walking into a small shop and getting a $70 price quote on an iPhone 5/L920 ATT unlock.

Biggest piece of advice I can give is to NEVER buy secondhand ATT phones with the intent to unlock it. I called them for info on a paper I have to cobble together, and the ORIGINAL owner will have to unlock it no matter how much you scream at them. They WILL NOT unlock if you are not the original owner. Save the headache and buy already-unlocked devices.

I don't think I can even unlock my Cingular Treo now with their policies.

CellUnlocker never did unlock it, thankfully, they gave me a full refund.

bhushan patil

Jun 15, 2013
Visit site
have the same issue. i have ordered yesterday from CellUnlock(dot)net lets see if they respond well.
if you have any updates on unlocking please share.

Games Goblin

May 26, 2013
Visit site
Cellunlocker.net is a genuine service. I have bought a few codes from them. If cellunlocker is not able to get your code for you, I would try masterunlockcodes.com - I have bought a ATT 920 code from them last year (although at that time, ATT codes were cheap and easy to get - this is not the case now). I have heard good reviews of chronicunlocks.com, but have not tried them in personally. If none of these services are working for you, I suggest you check if your device is having a bad IMEI# due to unpaid bill or reported lost/stolen.

As xandros has said above, ATT devices are a pain to unlock now and expensive as well (the going rate for Lumia unlocks seems to be in the $30-$50 range) - I remember unlocking the 920 for $10 early last year!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte