Is there a valid upgrade from the 920 yet?

TomInAmsterdam

Dec 22, 2012
Visit site
Hi all,

I asked this a while ago and people said wait for MWC which was a bit of a disappoint from the new phones for us standpoint, so really, is there anything worth upgrading from my 920 to yet, I am having some issues with it (slowdowns and crashes) and as its a year old I want to upgrade it anywy but all the other 92* dont actually seem much of an upgrade, wheres the 930?? :(

TomInAmsterdam

Dec 22, 2012
Visit site
929 is the valid upgrade.

it looks nice (well different, Im still not sure on its looks) and has some nice things but... is this really a full upgrade, it seems more like a bit of an upgrade but not much of one... feel free to correct me if I am missing lots of nice stuff in it though :)

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Microsoft wasn't expected to announce much at MWC, and they didn't. Build is soon, and that is where they are expecting to release comprehensive information about Windows Phone 8.1, and any new devices that will be launched with it.

AndrewL920

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
it looks nice (well different, Im still not sure on its looks) and has some nice things but... is this really a full upgrade, it seems more like a bit of an upgrade but not much of one... feel free to correct me if I am missing lots of nice stuff in it though :)

Nokia Lumia 929 also known as ICON Specs:
LTE
AMOLED, 5 Inch, 441ppi, 1920x1080 Corning Gorilla Glass 3
32GB Internal with 2GB RAM
20MP Pureview Camera, Carl Zeiss Optics, with Optical Image Stabilization
Quad-core 2.2 GHz Krait 400 CPU and Adreno 330 GPU
2420 mAh battery

This is much better upgrade than the 6 inch Phablet 1520. My hand is small so I prefer 4.3 - 5 inches only.

denzilla

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
TBH, I'm not sure I want the next flagship, given the quality and treatment of the current flagship. fairly common set of defects, seemingly unsolvable problems with Camera quality and random battery drain. The icing on the cake for me is how we flagship users get to sit and wait for software updates while Nokia pumps out device after device with the newest software installed. Since GD2, the 920 is a better device than it was at launch, but its just mediocre too me.

WP8 is shaping up to be a fine mobile OS, but I'm not convinced Microsoft has the follow through to see it happen. They came out of the gate lacking basic features and aren't moving fast enough to catch up and surpass the competition.

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
An Icon that will be released globally will be a true successor. I have a 920 on AT&T and want to upgrade. I hope it has microSD, or at least 64GB!

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
TBH, I'm not sure I want the next flagship, given the quality and treatment of the current flagship. fairly common set of defects, seemingly unsolvable problems with Camera quality and random battery drain. The icing on the cake for me is how we flagship users get to sit and wait for software updates while Nokia pumps out device after device with the newest software installed. Since GD2, the 920 is a better device than it was at launch, but its just mediocre too me.

WP8 is shaping up to be a fine mobile OS, but I'm not convinced Microsoft has the follow through to see it happen. They came out of the gate lacking basic features and aren't moving fast enough to catch up and surpass the competition.

How dare Nokia attempt to sell new phones? Ok, that's a tad facetious, but software updates are, as always, at the mercy of the carriers. Nokia doesn't choose to not get updates out as soon as they are released. The carriers decide when to allow any new software to roll out. Maybe it shouldn't be that way, but it is the state of things.

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
How dare Nokia attempt to sell new phones? Ok, that's a tad facetious, but software updates are, as always, at the mercy of the carriers. Nokia doesn't choose to not get updates out as soon as they are released. The carriers decide when to allow any new software to roll out. Maybe it shouldn't be that way, but it is the state of things.

He is right about the defects though. Nokia has pretty much always had some phones (never said all, so don't defend Nokia if yours didn't) that are first and maybe second batch that have hardware issues. Then there are also software issues, that get fixed 6 months later (exaggerating), instead of not having the issues in the first place...

denzilla

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site

I'm starting to think that maybe the fault for software delays doesn't rest completely with the carriers. Didn't some info come out during the GD2 release about Nokia being the ones dragging their feet with getting GD2 ready for ATT?

I don't think Nokia is in any more of a rush to update current phones as the carriers. Same logic applies to both: New phones = more money.

wapoz

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
I don't see any reason to upgrade from the 920 yet, unless there are some specific features introduced after 8.1's release that require newer hardware. I haven't seen anything compelling so far in the release of the Icon or the 1520, and my 920 works better and faster than the day I purchased it.

TomInAmsterdam

Dec 22, 2012
Visit site
I don't see any reason to upgrade from the 920 yet, unless there are some specific features introduced after 8.1's release that require newer hardware. I haven't seen anything compelling so far in the release of the Icon or the 1520, and my 920 works better and faster than the day I purchased it.

mines slower and crashes more, plus Im bored :)

TomInAmsterdam

Dec 22, 2012
Visit site

I could believe that IF my non carrier tied L920 (NL Variant) didnt recieve updates later than some carried (Vodafone NL for example!)

evilrob

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
I want the camera of the 1020 in the body of the 920 (or at least without the protruding lens), HD AMOLED screen, better battery life and a quad core processor with wireless charging built-in.

If it doesn't materialise, I guess I'll have to settle for the 1520 - bit bigger than I'd like, really. Although it does have most of what I'm hankering after. It's just so damn big!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro