My 920 melted last night :-(

Xellsama

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Swapping shells is theoretically fine. The problem is with electrostatic discharge. A static shock from your body has extremely high voltage. A shock that is literally imperceptible to you could cause permanent damage to your device. It's possible that a component was shocked when the device was opened which eventually caused this problem. Just because it still works when you put it back together doesn't mean you didn't harm it. This is why device manufacturers can't be expected to replace devices that have been opened for ANY reason.

haha, yep that's what I meant. Thank you for explaining it in a more technical way =)

Localhorst86

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
I agree with using quality chargers but using different amped chargers really shouldn't be a problem at all as long as it's all designed correctly and high quality. USB chargers are designed so that the phone only pulls what it needs. For example, plug your Nokia 1.3 amp charger into a dumb phone. Most dumb phones can only handle .5 or .7 amps but nothing explodes. I use a 2.1 amp charger on my phone all of the time and if I were to hook up an ammeter it would show a draw of around 1.3 amps.
You're right. i should rephrase that to "ar least the amperage of the original charger". Devices will only pull what they need but if a phone tries to pull more than the adapter can provide this might cause damage to the charger and pose a fire threat.
Sent from my Lumia 920 using Tapatalk Beta

piaqt

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
Connect via USB to your PC. And turn the PC on, plugged-in. No, you can't take it everywhere with you, but it's a workaround, and USB cables are inexpensive. In addition to Nokia, contact your service provider. Even AT&T (gasp!) has been occasionally reasonable in such cases.

abel920

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
Why the last pic looks like photoshoped in the usb outpout?
View attachment 59810

Just asking!
That's my pants you're seeing through. I took the picture when I removed the housing shell because my 920 is the only camera I have at that time, so there's no way for me to take a picture of my phone's bottom. I also have used the official OEM charger, my phone is with Rogers.
Thanks for the support guys. I really appreciate it.

kb4000

Sep 9, 2013
Visit site
Connect via USB to your PC. And turn the PC on, plugged-in. No, you can't take it everywhere with you, but it's a workaround, and USB cables are inexpensive. In addition to Nokia, contact your service provider. Even AT&T (gasp!) has been occasionally reasonable in such cases.

Are you proposing using a PC to charge all the time? Also I would never plug anything into that phone again. Qi is the way to go from now on.

IzaacJ

Jan 8, 2013
Visit site
I've actually been scared of this happening to both mine and my fiancees 920. Both of them get really hot with our oem chargers (white adapter and white cable), and sometimes they get overheated by just laying in the pocket doing nothing. My fiancees 920 occasionally crashes due to overheating (when browsing the web, Rudys 9gag app etc) and mine has crashed a few times due to overheating. My phone has been on service twice, first they just reflashed it, second time they replaced the motherboard. Might send it in again and have it replaced.

RXT00

Jun 15, 2013
Visit site
Same thing happened to me, however I pulled the plug before any melting. I replaced the USB ribbon cable and it works fine since.

My phone never gets overheated charging unless I'm using it at the same time or I'm using a wireless charger.

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
You're right. i should rephrase that to "ar least the amperage of the original charger". Devices will only pull what they need but if a phone tries to pull more than the adapter can provide this might cause damage to the charger and pose a fire threat.

Bingo!

Dustin Randall

Mar 18, 2014
Visit site
Hey OP, Dustin from Nokia here. Have you contacted local Nokia customer care with your issue yet? Are you actually in Canada or are you using a Rogers device in the US? You can also contact me on Twitter @NokiaDustin.

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
Hey OP, Dustin from Nokia here. Have you contacted local Nokia customer care with your issue yet? Are you actually in Canada or are you using a Rogers device in the US? You can also contact me on Twitter @NokiaDustin.

First post here? :O

Welcome to WPCentral!

Sent from my Xbox One using WPCentral Forums

Adriaan NL

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
Mine does not overheat or get warm even.

Exactly. Sometimes a little, but I never really worry about the heat as it isn't that much. I'd say it has to, as electricity runs through the device. How can it not be a little warm?! So I wouldn't call it ''overheating'', that implies there's something wrong + device can't take it.

Localhorst86

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
I'd say it has to, as electricity runs through the device. How can it not be a little warm?!

We're talking about low power here. The regular wallcharger has 1.3A at 5V wich results in 6.5Watts. Not really much power.

The charging plate, which I usually use overnight runs at 750mA at presumably 5V (to prevent the phone needing a voltage stepdown) wich equals to 3.75 Watts. Even less.

I do not feel any warmth on the device when charging either way, the phone stays pretty much at room temperature.

kb4000

Sep 9, 2013
Visit site

That's not entirely true. A laptop USB only puts out .5 Amps but works fine. I also have a 2.1 amp charger that works fine. Assuming that everything is designed properly and not defective the amperage shouldn't matter all.

SSgt Bruskowiz

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
It only gets hot when there is something wrong.
Can happen with a bad or lose connection, the usb connection in the phone is not realy thight.
When connected you can move it around,if it loses contact and its close anough, it wil draw a spark.
You wil get at that very moment a spike, if that spike is high anough it wil damage the internals.

Also the falesave of the chargingcircuit might go on the fridge,
when the failsave fails the cell gets overcharged and wil heat up.

Most accidents happend due overcharged cells mostly by a deffective failsave.

Its difficult to explane in a language other than your own, but i hope you get the idea

MeltyPhone

Jul 28, 2014
Visit site
The same thing happened to my Lumia 920 last night. The bottom of my phone looks similar to the pictures, but the damage is a little more extensive. I contacted Nokia today and the rep told me that he was referring my case the repair department but did not promise replacement or anything. My phone is still in warranty for the next 10 days (whew), so I'm assuming they'll replace it. Any thoughts?

Timbre70

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
On the other hand, I find the original Nokia charger for my Lumia 920 a bit dodgy. It doesn't charge sometimes even when it's fully inserted, or there will be a lag of more than two seconds before it charges. It's kind pf irritating for me + the fact that Nokia wire is a tad shorter, I have now replaced it with my old Samsung charger which charges almost instantly when plug in and there's no hardware connection issue with the mirco USB end.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss