UPDATE - My 920 melted last night :-)

abel920

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
Thank you for everyone's concerns about my phone. I would also like to thank George Ponder for at least giving me my 15 minutes of WPCentral fame. I really appreciate it; it really gave me a good cheer in the midst of the looming, and stressful final exams.

As some of you guys would like to hear of an update from me, I have some good news. I was able to obtain a replacement part for my phone (although I won't say where I got it from), and was able to replace the melted Micro USB port properly and carefully by following DIY tutorial on YouTube. I credit for his amazing series, and I'd like to give him my respect because I was able to do the replacement very easily without scratching anything.

What you may be wondering, is what caused the melting in the first place. Well, I was in the same boat as you too. After I replaced the damaged part, I have done some investigating on the damaged USB cable. To my surprise, only the USB port itself is melted, as shown here:

WP_20140322_026.jpg

WP_20140322_027.jpg

And as you can see in this picture below, the connector remains intact, with no damage at all.

WP_20140322_030.jpg

So in the end, it is not a hardware issue because everything else is in good condition - so Nokia's reputation is still regarded very high. This is why I love Nokia. I wouldn't know what else to do if they ever stopped making phones.

It is also not because I have changed the shell. Numerous people have pointed this out. I have changed the shell numerous times after my warranty ended, and it didn't negatively affect my phone's performances. If you look at the pictures above, the actual USB connector has two screw holes at both sides, meaning that when you place back in a shell, you would have to put back the screws in, and all the times I swapped shells, I made very sure to put back the screws in very tightly, so there's no way for the port to be loose - not even the slightest.

Since I have ruled those two possibilities out, I have come down to the conclusion that the night my phone melted, I must have "loosely" plugged in the charger before I went to sleep. And I think that's what have caused the port to short circuit, causing it to burn and melt.

And with that said, I want to apologize to Nokia for thinking that it could have been your hardware issues, but rather my own carelessness. Although my justification is that it was like 11 something PM, and I had a long day at school, so I was very, very tired when I plugged in my phone. Still, I take full responsibility for this issue.

So with that regards, the moral of this incident: PLUG IN YOUR CHARGERS FULLY, CAREFULLY, AND PROPERLY. Don't half plug, don't be careless, no matter what.

Sincerely,
Abel 920

WP_20140322_041.jpg

Last edited:

altafmahmood

Jan 2, 2014
Visit site
Great to hear you got your phone fixed! Although I was also wondering how can it melt at the connector part. Anyways thanks for the tip...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)