Planning to reformat /reset. A few question please.

AndrewL920

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
Hi

I am going to reformat my phone 920 and my current app purchased right now are N.O.V.A 3, Avengers Initiative, and Asphalt 7. My current microsoft account is *****11@yahoo.com and the PayPal email I used for purchasing them is also *****11@yahoo.com

I decided to create a new Microsoft account ******@outlook.com and I want this to be my primary Microsoft email account after I reformat my phone. Since I am going to reinstall my purchased App using the same PayPal email *****11@yahoo.com, will I restore my games without repurchasing?

What does Windows Phone Store remembers when re-installing/repurchasing the App again? Is it the Microsoft Account or PayPal email?

I want to reformat/reset, use a new Microsoft account, and use the same PayPal account for purchasing app but I am just wondering if I can still retain my purchased apps.

Thanks

shmsnh

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
Everything is tied to your Microsoft account. The easiest way to retain all your purchased apps would be to add the new Outlook ID to your existing @yahoo.com Microsoft account.

To do this, sign in at https://account.live.com with your Yahoo ID, go to the link to add an alias, and add your Outlook ID in there. You can later make your Outlook the primary alias. This way, all your apps and backups will remain when you sign in on your phone with your new Outlook ID.

AndrewL920

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
Everything is tied to your Microsoft account. The easiest way to retain all your purchased apps would be to add the new Outlook ID to your existing @yahoo.com Microsoft account.

To do this, sign in at https://account.live.com with your Yahoo ID, go to the link to add an alias, and add your Outlook ID in there. You can later make your Outlook the primary alias. This way, all your apps and backups will remain when you sign in on your phone with your new Outlook ID.

Thanks for the information sir. If my new outlook email and my previous @yahoo.com email will merge, will I get the same email in inbox? I mean if my @yahoo.com received an email, will my new @outlook also receive the same email? My @yahoo.com email has a lot of spammers and yahoomail is so slow. I have been using it for 5 years. Thanks!

shmsnh

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
Glad to help. No, you will not get mail sent to your Yahoo address in your new Outlook mailbox. Unless your set up mail forwarding in Yahoo Mail. I recently shifted my primary to Outlook as well, and am in the process of shutting down my Yahoo account.

AndrewL920

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
Glad to help. No, you will not get mail sent to your Yahoo address in your new Outlook mailbox. Unless your set up mail forwarding in Yahoo Mail. I recently shifted my primary to Outlook as well, and am in the process of shutting down my Yahoo account.

Me too. I really want to shut down my old yahoo mail and no trace at all. If I will add my new @outlook.com to my existing @yahoo Microsoft account and make my new @outlook.com a Primary Alias, can I sign in my @outlook.com the first time after I reset? Would there be no problem installing my purchased apps?

shmsnh

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
According to Microsoft's instructions, you will be able to sign in with your primary Outlook alias on your phone and have access to all the apps and settings tied to the @yahoo.com Microsoft account. I haven't gotten to this part on my phone yet since it will require a hard reset, but it seems simple enough. Of course, don't remove the Yahoo alias until you have signed in on your phone with Outlook and made sure that the app purchases have carried over.

AndrewL920

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
According to Microsoft's instructions, you will be able to sign in with your primary Outlook alias on your phone and have access to all the apps and settings tied to the @yahoo.com Microsoft account. I haven't gotten to this part on my phone yet since it will require a hard reset, but it seems simple enough. Of course, don't remove the Yahoo alias until you have signed in on your phone with Outlook and made sure that the app purchases have carried over.

I asked Microsoft community regarding this issue and they told me alias does not work that way? Am I missing something? How to transfer purchased apps from old MS account to new MS account - Microsoft Community

runciter

Feb 14, 2013
Visit site
I'm pretty sure you can do this. Using the word "transfer" probably threw them off. You aren't transferring accounts. That is to say, I assume you don't have a microsoft account with yahoo (well you do) and one with outlook.com. What you can do is add an alias of your outlook.com (or hotmail/live/whatever) to your microsoft account (with yahoo). After it is added, and you verify you can log into your microsoft account with your outlook.com address (same MS account but aliased), then you can make the outlook.com your primary alias.

Basically what shmsnh said :)

AndrewL920

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
I'm pretty sure you can do this. Using the word "transfer" probably threw them off. You aren't transferring accounts. That is to say, I assume you don't have a microsoft account with yahoo (well you do) and one with outlook.com. What you can do is add an alias of your outlook.com (or hotmail/live/whatever) to your microsoft account (with yahoo). After it is added, and you verify you can log into your microsoft account with your outlook.com address (same MS account but aliased), then you can make the outlook.com your primary alias.

Basically what shmsnh said :)

My current Microsoft account (yahoo) has three purchased games. If I will add my new (outlook) as an alias in my Microsoft account (yahoo) and make it as primary, will I be able to download my purchased apps without paying using my new (primary outlook email alias) after I reset my phone?

runciter

Feb 14, 2013
Visit site
Yes that should work. I did the same thing but instead of Yahoo, my old account was Hotmail. It was (is) an old microsoft account way over 10 years ago that had xbox, winPho and other purchases. Keep in mind it is the SAME Microsoft account, just the primary alias changed.

You should know that (and I just did this), it doesn't show as purchased if you look at it in store on the phone for some reason (but on Xbox.com and windowsphone.com, it does show as already purchased). For example, I bought Star Wars Angry Birds (don't judge) and it shows Try or Buy. I know I bought this so I hit Buy and then it checks and says, You've already bought this, do you want to redownload? Or something to that effect. Or on windowsphone.com you can push your previous purchases to your phone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte