Which screen type is better: IPS or OLED

Sertac Karatepe

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site
hey guys, i use l920 and there is one thing that really pisses me off sometimes. the screen. as l920 has IPS screen type, black colors is not being reflected naturally and i know that that is not the case on oled screens. but i ve read somewhere that IPS screens are a lot better than oleds in terms of picture and color quality and density. whats your opinion about this?

BIGPADDY

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
OLED display alot more better than IPS however it cost more to make a OLED display than IPS or AMOLED display.

The SONY Vita uses a OLED display and it brilliant, the best display I have seen either though it a low resolution it the best I seen!

LG Flex and LG TV (that cost about ?10,000) also uses an OLED display as well.

I would love to see more devices use OLED but again it the price and it cost alot however the benefits are awesome.

Games Goblin

May 26, 2013
Visit site
AMOLED screens have oversaturated colors and infinite blacks. IPS screens have more natural color reproduction and in most cases should have better sunlight readability. It's a matter of personal preference really. I prefer the natural colors of a good IPS panel as compared to an AMOLED.

Sertac Karatepe

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site
I heard that on 1520, blacks are not as bright as it is in 920. But its even an unanswered question for me whether it is deep as amoled or not.

BIGPADDY

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
I heard that on 1520, blacks are not as bright as it is in 920. But its even an unanswered question for me whether it is deep as amoled or not.

Best way is to check the devices out I did that with an amoled and IPS display and preferred the IPS because it was natural in colour where as the amoled was for me over saturated.

AMOLED black were black but the IPS won me over overall.

I know some people have complain that when they have AMOLED display it has had a blue tint to it or eventually burn out.

Sertac Karatepe

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site
It makes sense. But battery consumption is also important. Can we say that amoled displays drain the battery less than IPS as it turns off the pixels for black colors?

AndreStudart

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
I prefer OLED, Lumia 920 ips is nice and is on pair with amoled's 925, blacks are deeper on 925, but white is MUCH better on the 920, although you have more contrast (collors popping up) on the 925, lumia 930 is coming with an oled screen.. damn, I want this phone..

Fade_z

Jun 15, 2013
Visit site
It makes sense. But battery consumption is also important. Can we say that amoled displays drain the battery less than IPS as it turns off the pixels for black colors?

dont forget It also consumes more at white, which IPS does not.

In the end the battery difference is neglect able

Microsoftjunkie

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
The 1520 assertive display performs similar to oled displays. Whereas it controls "individual" pixels. The blacks are better than other ips screens I've seen tho.

Lumis90

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
what I noticed with OLED screens is that they tend to scratch more and you can see the scratches more easily. I had lumia 800 before and it scratched very easily, they were so visible on that low-res screen, now with Lumia 920 I have scratches on the screen but it's so hard to see them, unless you're in direct sunlight, but with 925 it's different story here, it's the same situation as it was with 800, it scratches very easily and they're very visible, like they're deeper. maybe it's just me, but this happened with 2 OLED phones versus 1 IPS LCD.

Kevin Rush

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Ref: Games Goblin,
Wow, the "gsmarena" website appears to do a great job of being complete and thorough. I've never checked out that website before. It's odd that "GSM" must be their focus, yet the 822 is a Verizon CDMA phone. Maybe they tolerate an occasional CDMA phone, like we do, those commentators promoting android? (Kidding, ...thank you, Games Goblin via Android. It's good to know the truthful facts.)

Last edited:

Games Goblin

May 26, 2013
Visit site
Ref: Games Goblin,
Wow, the "gsmarena" website appears to do a great job of being complete and thorough. I've never checked out that website before. It's odd that "GSM" must be their focus,

Yes, gsmarena is akin to a encyclopedia for information about phones. Even though they might be named 'gsmarena', you can find information about all kinds of phones/tablets.

BTW, I'm a wp user too :) I use an android phone as a second device. (That and Wpcentral's android app is very good!)

Posted via the WPC App for Android!

miodrage

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
AMOLED = crap
IPS = good value for money
OLED = fantastic, however, if it cost a kidney plus something extra, then not worthy considering.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte