I am sending my 920 into Nokia for warranty work. I bought an AT&T 520 go phone at Best Buy to hold me over and use as a spare. Wow! When I got my 920 I thought it was huge and bulky. This 520 feels small, and honestly rather flimsy. It'll work in the short term, but I couldn't imagine it

being my regular daily phone. And that is the best selling windows phone? No wonder growth is so slow.

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Tapatalk
    04-11-2014 12:06 AM
    The 520 is decent for the price it costs. The price is the main reason why it is selling so well.
    xandros9 and Guytronic like this.
    04-11-2014 12:14 AM
    Yep it wouldn't be that impressive stepping down.

I think it's purpose is to introduce then showcase Winphone features to those wanting to enter the world of the smartphone.
    Just to note I still carry and use the 521.
    Still quite amazing IMO.

Sorry you had to send the 920 in.
    Anxious to hear from you when you get that one back.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    04-11-2014 12:20 AM
    I am sending my 920 into Nokia for warranty work. I bought an AT&T 520 go phone at Best Buy to hold me over and use as a spare. Wow! When I got my 920 I thought it was huge and bulky. This 520 feels small, and honestly rather flimsy. It'll work in the short term, but I couldn't imagine it

being my regular daily phone. And that is the best selling windows phone? No wonder growth is so slow.

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Tapatalk
    Dude the phone is 60 bucks, that's weekend beer money. It's an amazing phone for that price and if some jackass steals it out of your hand at the mall you just let him take it rather than chase him down and risk getting stabbed or shot.
    xandros9 likes this.
    04-11-2014 01:12 AM
    My point being if this is many peoples first exposure to windows phones, it is no wonder the growth is slow. It'll be fine for me for a week or two while Nokia fixes my regular phone, but no way would I make it a year or two with this phone. The 920 is the first phone I've had where at the end of a year I don't mind waiting another year for an upgrade or a replacement from the manufacturer.

Sent from my RM-915_nam_usa_228 using Tapatalk
    Guytronic likes this.
    04-11-2014 06:22 PM
    My point being if this is many peoples first exposure to windows phones, it is no wonder the growth is slow.
    Not sure I can agree my friend.
    I know reviews or statistics can be viewed in many ways.
    521.jpg

A lot of these 5-4 star reviewers are stating this is their first time using any smartphone.
    We have to remember that many have never given a smartphone a second thought until the word started spreading about the 520\521 models.

Just a note however**
    I didn't last a year before making a jump up.
    Could it be this is the point of the lower line?
    xandros9 and SSgt Bruskowiz like this.
    04-11-2014 06:51 PM
    Hey... nothing bad about the smallest lumie.....MS WP8 and Nokia made a big boost be cause of that little thingie.
    I also was a lost soul and wanted something else, I was a Droid user for a couple of years and WP started to intrigue me. But somehow being unsure I don't wanted to spend a lot of money for it.
    Then the L520 came out and I bought one of the first one's who came out, and just like many others I didn't thought much of it.
    It felt like cheap plastic and quite fragile.
    But it gave me more joy than many Droids and convinced me that the WP ecosystem is a hell lot stabile than Android especially on the cheap low budget phones.
    A month ago I bought a 1320 and my wife uses now my 520 until her Note is repaired, but as soon I got my 520 back, its going to be reinstated as my trustworthy companion when I am on the job.
    Big screen is nice but there is also a higher risk when it collides with the ground. It's not as forgiven
    as the 520 when it drops on the floor.

So yes its a darned good phone and it does wat it suppose to do.
    And that's a lot more than I can say about other smartphones in the same price range.

As for Nokia, wel you can change brands bud that doesn't matter anymore because Nokia has pushed the last real Nokia's on the market.
    Its now in the hands of MS though it might be the same phones it will never be a Nokia.
    MS has build many nice things, but non of that where phones.
    They have to prove it first.
    Apple, Samsung, Huawei and all the others have there own design and I sure hope that MS wil find one of there own, bud still it wil never be a Lumia even if they have the name.
    For my self I hope they are taking a good look at the 920 and the 720 design casings and colors.
    Guytronic likes this.
    04-11-2014 07:48 PM
    I also was a lost soul and wanted something else
    I like the lost soul analogy!
    Sounds like how I was...
    04-11-2014 08:12 PM
    Hey... nothing bad about the smallest lumie.....MS WP8 and Nokia made a big boost be cause of that little thingie.
    I also was a lost soul and wanted something else, I was a Droid user for a couple of years and WP started to intrigue me. But somehow being unsure I don't wanted to spend a lot of money for it.
    Then the L520 came out and I bought one of the first one's who came out, and just like many others I didn't thought much of it.
    It felt like cheap plastic and quite fragile.
    But it gave me more joy than many Droids and convinced me that the WP ecosystem is a hell lot stabile than Android especially on the cheap low budget phones.
    A month ago I bought a 1320 and my wife uses now my 520 until her Note is repaired, but as soon I got my 520 back, its going to be reinstated as my trustworthy companion when I am on the job.
    Big screen is nice but there is also a higher risk when it collides with the ground. It's not as forgiven
    as the 520 when it drops on the floor.

So yes its a darned good phone and it does wat it suppose to do.
    And that's a lot more than I can say about other smartphones in the same price range.

As for Nokia, wel you can change brands bud that doesn't matter anymore because Nokia has pushed the last real Nokia's on the market.
    Its now in the hands of MS though it might be the same phones it will never be a Nokia.
    MS has build many nice things, but non of that where phones.
    They have to prove it first.
    Apple, Samsung, Huawei and all the others have there own design and I sure hope that MS wil find one of there own, bud still it wil never be a Lumia even if they have the name.
    For my self I hope they are taking a good look at the 920 and the 720 design casings and colors.
    I may not have properly expressed my self, or at least not very well in the written format. I love WP, and Nokia (Microsoft, may as well get used to saying that). I have no intention of switching OS's or manufacturers. My first WP was the 920 (jumped from Blackberry). With the exception of the Camera (which Guytronic was helping me with earlier this week) I have absolutely no issues with the 920, or WP. I do believe it is the first phone I have ever owned that when I got to the end of the first year i wasn't counting the days until I could upgrade or looking at what else was out there. The only reason I temporarily stepped back was because I had so send the 920 back to Nokia to have them fix the focus on the camera (I will say this, the 520 is taking better pictures out of the box than my 920). The 520 is fine for a back up phone.

But, had I started with the 520, i'm not so sure I would have stayed with windows phone. I will stick with Wp/Nokia/Microsoft, because I know its better than the competition and getting better all the time. The App gap argument is really being over hyped. Just thought it would be interesting to discuss the differences when making a step backwards (only for a couple weeks).
    Guytronic likes this.
    04-11-2014 08:44 PM
    With normal use I don't notice much difference between my 1320 and the 520, maybe somewhat slower but I would have liked a better camera though. But the budget didn't let me and personally I think a 6 a 700,- isn't worth it. Maybe later when the prices drop or find me a rich old lady of 90+ hahaha
    I bought this one for 170,- and stil find it a lot of money but could live with it.
    The WP or lumias are not well spread here even here in the phone shop's you have a hard time finding one.
    Lots of people buy them from web stores or got them with a contract and can't get used to it, so they throw them for sale and with some luck you find a cheap almost never used phone, just like I did.

Yes the appstore is indeed exaggerated, there are enough good apps, the trick is just to find them. I still think the google playstore is a lot more user friendly than the wp8 store.
    Guytronic likes this.
    04-11-2014 09:11 PM
    I was actually pleasantly surprised about the 520. Having the 920, I got my dad to convert to WP a couple of months ago and didn't want to sign another contract. Not to mention, my dad is not too tech savvy when it come to do-dads and whatchamacallits. So, I bought the 520 on Amazon for 60 bucks....and even though it's one of the low end Lumias, I got to say it's a pretty good phone considering the price. Besides having no front camera and a decent back camera with no flash, I would definitely recommend it to people who want to switch to WP but don't want to invest in signing another contract or outright buying a high end phone.

And check this out...my dad chose the 520 over an iPhone 5. I thought that was EPIC!
    Guytronic and lcw731 like this.
    04-12-2014 11:54 AM
    Alway listen to your dad, and of course WP forumusers older than 47 hahaha
    L Beezy, Guytronic and lcw731 like this.
    04-12-2014 12:56 PM
    When I get my 920 back I have offered it to my brother. I wanna see if I can get him away from his google spy bot phone.

Sent from my RM-915_nam_usa_228 using Tapatalk
    L Beezy and Guytronic like this.
    04-12-2014 05:27 PM
    There always have to be cuts to make a phone work at a low price point. At least around here you can almost buy three 520s for the price of a single 920. Or at least get two 520 plus a complete pack of accessories like cases, screen protectors and even a pack of cheap external batteries. So it's no wonder the 920 really does offer a much more premium user experience. Otherwise we wouldn't need those 500 bucks phones anymore, wait, we wouldn't even need those costing 200.

If you consider the low price, the 520 offers quite much and the best thing, which IMO is quite unique in the sub 100 price range: A smooth user experience inside the OS. Scrolling an navigating through menus and apps is almost as fast as it is on the higher specced devices. This is not always the case by far with some price competing low-cost Androids.

I'd agree with your statement if the 520 would offer a bad user experience due to stuttering menus, slow navigation through the OS or even slight freezes. But this isn't the case, so people see such a cheap Lumia is already good, they can't do anything wrong with getting a higher priced one the next time if they fancy a more expensive phone.

Last but not least remember different ways to buy a phone around the world. While in North America it seems to be common people get a heavily subsidized phone on a two or three year contract, in other parts of this world people either buy outright or the carriers simply don't even subsidies the phones as much. Pay as you go and/or prepaid plans without a long binding contract is also something you'll need to consider, for such plans, you usually don't get a phone as easy but you have to bring your own - or get a cheaper one bundled like the 520.
    Here in Germany it gets more and more common to simply buy your own phone, whichever that is, outright and get yourself a non-contract plan from a reselling service provider. Those plans are usually up to 60% cheaper per month plus you aren't bound to any contract. Found a cheaper plan on a different provider? Just switch next month and save even more money.

Such price sensitive people are usually fed up buy those high-priced flagships and many of them don't even need such a powerful phone. My girlfriend for example does just fine with her older Samsung Ace, even though it is slow, has a low ppi and suffers from memory shortages. She can chat via Whatsapp, can snap quick pictures and do some basic web browsing. For many people, these basic things are virtually all they need with a phone. While she is indeed looking for a new phone on the long term, her pricing limit is set to 120. Another friend of mine got my older BlackBerry Bold 9900 and she is perfectly fine with it, she only complains about poor battery life.

So long story short, for the price it costs, the 520 simply offers a great smartphone package, I can fully understand why it is so successful. The actual question should be: Why are the actual shiny flagships like the 1020 or 1520 so unsuccessful in comparison?
    SSgt Bruskowiz likes this.
    04-13-2014 05:50 AM
    The actual question should be: Why are the actual shiny flagships like the 1020 or 1520 so unsuccessful in comparison?
    I guess .........i believe it has something to do with the price.
    If people are willing to pay that kind of money.....then they look further than only the WindowsPhones.
    Guytronic likes this.
    04-13-2014 10:25 AM