920 vs 925 vs 1520

blahsi

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
Hi,

I had an HTC Titan back in the day and absolutely loved the WP interface. I ended up buying an iPhone from a friend after becoming tired of no one being able to hear me on the device. I'm looking to come back to WP and can't decide between models. I'm planning on buying one from eBay to stay off contract with AT&T, so I was hoping one of you awesome forum members could help me decide between the different versions out there. Could someone direct me to what they think would work?

My only requirement is it fits in my pocket and is Windows Phone 8 so I can try out 8.1. Thanks in advance!

luk3ja

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
If you can deal with the large device I would go with the 1520 because it has much better specs, better camera, better processor, more ram, sd card slot, more than double battery life maybe even triple, higher resolution screen, etc... the 1520 is far more future proof than the others

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

I had an HTC Titan back in the day and absolutely loved the WP interface. I ended up buying an iPhone from a friend after becoming tired of no one being able to hear me on the device. I'm looking to come back to WP and can't decide between models. I'm planning on buying one from eBay to stay off contract with AT&T, so I was hoping one of you awesome forum members could help me decide between the different versions out there. Could someone direct me to what they think would work?

My only requirement is it fits in my pocket and is Windows Phone 8 so I can try out 8.1. Thanks in advance!

They all work. The 1520 you should really hold in your hands before buying online. It is huge and not for everyone, but many swear by it. Pocketability may not be it's strong suit... depends on your pockets. The 1520's main attractions are obviously the huge display and great battery life. It is also the only one of those three devices with the latest hardware, but the difference in everyday use isn't as big as the numbers on paper would have you believe. If you are looking for a phablet sized device and want the latest hardware, definitely go for the 1520.

The 925 is the 920's leaner twin. Internally they are identical, except the 925 lacks the wireless charging capability. The 925 also has an AMOLED instead of an LCD screen. Which you prefer is largely a matter of taste. The 925 is considered by many to be the best "allround" WP8 device to date.

Any of them will do. Price difference between a 925/920 and 1520 will be substantial.

blahsi

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the replies! I think I remember now holding the 1520 and thinking it was massive like the Note. Might not be for me, but I'll see. AMOLED screen is a nice touch, I have that on my PS Vita and love it. The bigger screen on the 1520 would be nice for watching Netflix at the gym... but it would be nice to have a device that fits in my jeans... a lot of things to consider.

What you two said helped a bunch, and I welcome further opinions as well. I'll keep doing my research. Now, if the WP devices were compatible with iMessage I'd be all set, but I think there's an app out there now with similar web-based delivery available. Thanks again!

dgr_874

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
They all work. The 1520 you should really hold in your hands before buying online. It is huge and not for everyone, but many swear by it. Pocketability may not be it's strong suit... depends on your pockets. The 1520's main attractions are obviously the huge display and great battery life. It is also the only one of those three devices with the latest hardware, but the difference in everyday use isn't as big as the numbers on paper would have you believe. If you are looking for a phablet sized device and want the latest hardware, definitely go for the 1520.

The 925 is the 920's leaner twin. Internally they are identical, except the 925 lacks the wireless charging capability. The 925 also has an AMOLED instead of an LCD screen. Which you prefer is largely a matter of taste. The 925 is considered by many to be the best "allround" WP8 device to date.

Any of them will do. Price difference between a 925/920 and 1520 will be substantial.

The 925 only comes with 16gb while the 920 comes with 32gb internal.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Now, if the WP devices were compatible with iMessage I'd be all set, but I think there's an app out there now with similar web-based delivery available. Thanks again!

iMessage is Apple proprietary. Apple uses it to lock people into their ecosystem. There are a gazillion apps that do the same thing and are available on all platforms. They are a much better choice, even for people with an iPhone. WhatsApp is the most popular of them.

blahsi

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
While doing my research I saw some reports on the new phones coming out - I was thinking to myself I might just wait for a bit to see what those are like before making a decision. My iPhone isn't doing too badly at the moment but iOS 7 was a mistake.

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Hi,

I'm not sure the 1520 will fit in your pocket. LOL. Out of the three phones you're curious about, I have two, the 920 and the 925. Both are fine choices. They both have incredible cameras, great screens, although the 920's is LCD and the 925's is AMOLED. Of course, the 925 is very thin and light, also easier to use one handed than the 920. If you care about more storage, then go for the 920 because it's 32GB while the 925 only has 16GB. Essentially, though, you really can't go wrong with either phone.

tipu2185

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure the 1520 will fit in your pocket. LOL. Out of the three phones you're curious about, I have two, the 920 and the 925. Both are fine choices. They both have incredible cameras, great screens, although the 920's is LCD and the 925's is AMOLED. Of course, the 925 is very thin and light, also easier to use one handed than the 920. If you care about more storage, then go for the 920 because it's 32GB while the 925 only has 16GB. Essentially, though, you really can't go wrong with either phone.

Lumia 930 will be launched next month but it is also 5". I wonder why OEMs have stopped making flagship phones under 5". I would not prefer phone above 4.5" for me it gets too big but I guess currently users does not have any such choice.

blahsi

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
5 inches is fine for me, because I've really gotten tired of iPhone's small screen for trying to type out my texts. Thanks for the further input! I'm going to see what the 930 is like and then make the call between that and the 920 or 925. The 1520 is HUGE! I went and looked at it at AT&T and, despite its awesome specs, I don't want a phone that size. I have a friend who has a Note, which I think is around the same screen size and she has to keep it in her purse. Not really an option for me, LOL.

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Lumia 930 will be launched next month but it is also 5". I wonder why OEMs have stopped making flagship phones under 5". I would not prefer phone above 4.5" for me it gets too big but I guess currently users does not have any such choice.

I have to agree with you on the screen size. I just got an unlocked HTC One as well, which of course has a screen of 4.7 inches. It's only a little bigger than the screen of the 920/925, but definitely noticeable. I don't think I could go up anymore in screen size, especially due to the size of the phone! I'm pretty sure the 930 is quite big in the hand. I'll have to check out an Icon at a Verizon store or kiosk one of these days just to see it in person.

Ejay Lozano

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
Lumia 920:
Has built-in wireless charging: Yes
Has 32GB of storage: Yes

Lumia 925:
Has built-in wireless charging: No
Has 32GB of storage: No

Lumia 1520:
Has built-in wireless charging: No, Unless you have the international variant
Has 32GB of storage: No, Unless you have the international variant

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
Lumia 920:
Has built-in wireless charging: Yes
Has 32GB of storage: Yes

Lumia 925:
Has built-in wireless charging: No
Has 32GB of storage: No

Lumia 1520:
Has built-in wireless charging: No, Unless you have the international variant
Has 32GB of storage: No, Unless you have the international variant
Actually ATT has a 32 GB variant bof the 1520 but only in black. You can get it on amazon with contract or renewal for 179.00 va 199 for the 16gb at ATT and the 16gb is 79.99 at Amazon

Ejay Lozano

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
Actually ATT has a 32 GB variant bof the 1520 but only in black. You can get it on amazon with contract or renewal for 179.00 va 199 for the 16gb at ATT and the 16gb is 79.99 at Amazon

Too big and no wireless charging, I'll pass on the 1520...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb