A testament to Nokia durability

CaptBender

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Sorry about the long post but?

We are all aware of Nokia?s legendary hardware and it?s durability but I just have to share this with you guys. It sounds unbelievable but I assure you it is absolutely true.

I?ve have had my white Nokia 920 since launch and it?s been rock solid. It was showing a little wear and tear after being dropped countless times and never a case but always worked perfectly.

Over three weeks ago we had a nice weekend here in Michigan so my wife and I decided to go kayaking. Because I live on a lake it?s easy (sort of) to jump in the kayaks and go. Well, even though I?ve been kayaking for years, this time I flipped the kayak while getting in and fell into the lake in about 4 feet of water. Now, this time of year in Michigan the lakes are REALLY cold so as I scrambled out of the water dragging my kayak to shore I didn?t notice that my beloved white 920 was gone. I didn?t notice my phone was missing until later that evening after we were back from kayaking (yes I changed into dry clothes first). We went down to the shoreline and looked for an hour to no avail so I fired up my Lumia 1020 and have been using it since.

Over THREE WEEKS LATER, my wife is down by the shoreline and spots something white in the muck. She put on her waders and went out in the water and pulled my 920 out of the lake. Remember it?s been over 3 weeks submerged in very cold water and mud so I had little hope. She brought the phone into the house and I cleaned of the mud and dried it with paper towel. I took out the sim card and put the phone in a zip-loc baggy full for rice and set it aside. After 24 hours I decided to see if anything would happen if I tried the phone. Of course nothing happened when I tried to power it on because the battery was dead, not to mention being at the bottom of a lake for 3 weeks. Anyway, I plugged it into an AC charger and watched it closely for minute to make sure it didn?t start smoking or something. It didn?t so I left it to charge. A couple hours later I check it and yes, you guessed it, THE PHONE WAS ON! Not only that, it worked perfectly. Camera, touchscreen, buttons, EVERTHING worked fine! I have been using the phone now for 2 days and it?s as rock solid as it?s always been! Didn?t even lose any battery life so far. I know it?s hard to believe but I swear it?s 100% true. Now, I am not sure how long it will continue to work because there is likely corrosion somewhere inside but I will keep using it as long as it runs.

Great job Nokia! I hope MS continues to allow the Nokia team to keep producing the best phone hardware on the planet.

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
What an amazing story! It reminds me a lot of the one of the Lumia 800 in India that was submerged in a lake for 3 months. Do you know that one? Wow, I knew there was a reason I always loved Nokia the best. I'm so glad you recovered your beloved 920 and that it worked perfectly after its ordeal! :grin:

Last edited:

anon(8657436)

Mar 9, 2014
Visit site
I bought my 520 the day before I was returning to my college after the winter vacations. During the journey I was on the uppermost birth of the train (think: 12 feet) and during the night my phone fell down on the floor (uncarpeted) and I suddenly woke up and retrieved it. It had turned off due to the battery getting loose but no other problems apart from a slight scratch on the back matte which went away as soon as I wiped it with a cloth.

And there was a friend of mine who had a Lumia 720 and was playing soccer with it in his pocket (just casual game) and he ran and slipped and hit his side with the goalpost (the impact was with the phone). It left his leg with a bruise and the phone with a slight scratch and an overbright screen for some 5 minutes. Working fine since.

I'm happy your phone survived such a GREAT ORDEAL. Viva Nokia.

Akhilesh Bhambhani

Mar 13, 2014
Visit site
Amazing Story!!
My First phone was Nokia. All the phones I've used till date are Nokia and my last phone WILL be a Nokia/Microsoft. :)
Never moving to ****ty Samsung or ridiculously overpriced apple.

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
Very brave to have left in the rice for only 24 hours! I always suggest 3 day minimum and a week to be sure! Takes only one drop of water and a press of the power button the fry the whole phone!

Glad it works for you though! That's an awesome story!

miodrage

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
That is Nokia quality. Great story, hope your 920 lasts for some time :D
Also, I remember a story, a friend of mine went to France, and she just got a brand new Nokia 8210 (the small red sexy one), and she received a call, and just at that moment, the boat she was one was docking, and the phone slipped from her hands into the water. She swears that the screen was on, and blinking, for about 5 mins, after it was subemerged to over 10m (that is like 33 Ft). I know, I was shocked with her story, and now another one.

It is up to Nokia - the best manufacturer in the world of cell phones!

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Great story! Let's hope stories of this kind of durability still are frequent with MS now in charge of the Lumia line. I really hope so!

netko

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
When I bought my Lumia 920 it lasted a few days before accidentally dropping down concrete stairway(rolled and bounced some 10 stairs). No damage. Then a few months later it dropped from first floor window on concrete and on/off button stopped working because it fell to the side the button was on. It's a bit chipped on corners but nothing noticeable.
When I brought it for repairs it even went under guaranty :p

bijak_riyandi

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
man, that's total badass!

my 1020 survived a 1.5 meter fall on day 2 of its service

I hope my phone will never swim, though...
I'd cry a river if it happen and I'm not as lucky as you are...

CellularMan

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
Dropped my 920 very hard on brick today. The casing became slightly dislodged, but snaped right back together. What a relief the screen did not crack!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers