Has anyone with 8.1 replaced their screen?

solidsnakejv

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
I shattered my screen last week. I was contemplating on ordering the full LCD and glass replacement online, but I was worried that the replacement was going to give me problem so I decided to get it done at a local repair shop since I figured if anything was wrong with it I could take it back to them.
One of the reviews that I read somewhere online from someone who bought a replacement online was saying that they replacement wasn't working properly with his phone (maybe something to do with the fact that he was running WP8.1, which I am).
I got my phone back yesterday and right away I noticed that it wasn't like the original. The colors are not as vivid and the black is not true black like the original screen, it has some brightness to it.
When the screen is off you can actually see some sort of squares on the very edges of the screen (sort of like the edges of photography film).
The responsiveness of the screen is not consistent. This morning I woke up and started testing the screen again and WordFlow started acting up because the screen didn't trace my full word input, it was breaking up my words because the touch on the screen was failing. At that point I decided to take it back to the repair place; however, I restarted my phone and now the screen responsiveness is better than it was before I restarted the phone and the WordFlow is working fine, which means that when I take it back to the repair shop I won't be able to show them what's happening.
My question is.
Has anyone running the Developers Preview of 8.1 replaced their screen after 8.1, or even installed 8.1 on a replacement screen? If so, where did you get the replacement from and is it like the original?
Thanks in advanced.
I need to know ASAP since I jumped the gun and got a 1020 (have 7 days left to return it), before changing my mind and actually fixing the 920 that way I can save up my upgrade for November when the new flagship Lumia comes out.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Even if 8.1 caused any problems, which I'm skeptical in this case, they would fall to the wayside to the bigger ones you have.

It seems your screen is not the original one, my guess is a cheap knockoff and otherwise non-genuine part. 8.1 would not affect hardware features such as the lack of ClearBlack. I think that enough merits a redo.

See if the touchscreen problem comes back, then take it back for sure.

solidsnakejv

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
Took it back to the shop and they are ordering a replacement. I told them I'm probably going to have the same issue with another screen from that manufacturer, but the said they'll do that first before considering ordering from some else like I suggested them to do. But definitely doesn't seem like its oem. I just don't know if replacement screens can be exactly like the original.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Took it back to the shop and they are ordering a replacement. I told them I'm probably going to have the same issue with another screen from that manufacturer, but the said they'll do that first before considering ordering from some else like I suggested them to do. But definitely doesn't seem like its oem. I just don't know if replacement screens can be exactly like the original.

they can if they are.
I doubt that'll help, being a business, they're probably going to get the cheapest parts, OEM or not.
Perhaps you could ask them straight up for an OEM part and not going through all the random Chinese manufacturers in hopes they have an original in the pile.

fpostrow

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Yes, you can order an OEM screen/digitizer which is identical to the original beautiful screen when your phone was new out of the box. If a replacement looks like crap, it is and it's that easy to tell. I've seen both and the non OEM screens do create a host of problems. I've had good luck with etradesupply.com which I found referred to in the YouTube assembly video.

Last edited:

StuBeck

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
If its the OEM screen I bought off eBay for a similar price, its not OEM. The glass is not gorila glass, it scratches really easily.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786