Nokia Lumia Data Usage Question

amuna1225

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
Hey all,
I was curious about data usage regarding the Here Drive navigation app. Is it true that if I download the maps to my phone, it will use no data when using the voice/turn by turn navigation? I am taking a 12 hour road trip to New York, through Canada and don't want to pay the insane data plan charges that ATT offers for international.

I am currently downloading all the maps I need, the Ontario map, Michigan, and New York and want to make sure that it will use NO or Minimal data when using the GPS. I will have the GPS/turn by turn navigation on the whole trip.

Thanks!

David P2

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
Hey all,
I was curious about data usage regarding the Here Drive navigation app. Is it true that if I download the maps to my phone, it will use no data when using the voice/turn by turn navigation? I am taking a 12 hour road trip to New York, through Canada and don't want to pay the insane data plan charges that ATT offers for international.

I am currently downloading all the maps I need, the Ontario map, Michigan, and New York and want to make sure that it will use NO or Minimal data when using the GPS. I will have the GPS/turn by turn navigation on the whole trip.

Thanks!

It shouldn't, but if you're concerned you can always turn off mobile data to be on the safe side.

David P2

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
If you bring up the settings bit in Here Drive (swipe up when it's in map view and your finger is on the Here logo), go down to the Internet Connection button and turn that off, then try again.

amuna1225

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
If you bring up the settings bit in Here Drive (swipe up when it's in map view and your finger is on the Here logo), go down to the Internet Connection button and turn that off, then try again.
Tried that, still wouldn't find my destination or a route without a data connection. I downloaded all necessary maps to my phone.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Here Drive does use the internet in the beginning to get the map coordinates, once it's set, it won't need a connection later on. It also uses the internet to provide real time traffic updates but once you have the coordinates set, you can always try turning off the data connection

amuna1225

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
Here Drive does use the internet in the beginning to get the map coordinates, once it's set, it won't need a connection later on. It also uses the internet to provide real time traffic updates but once you have the coordinates set, you can always try turning off the data connection

So to clarify, once I get my route set before I leave my home in Michigan, I will not need a data connection at all to run the turn by turn navigation for the 13 hour drive?

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Yes that's the expectation, it has worked for me when traveling through areas without cellular reception for long periods and yet the navigation never stops or gets interrupted

bozza72

Feb 3, 2013
Visit site
yep i did that on a recent trip to Australia, i used MC Donald's free wifi to set my route then off we went for 8 hours using here drive and no data, it worked very well

Chris_Germany

Banned
Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
I was in Spain. Downloaded the whole country. My phone was NEVER online in 2 weeks (flight mode) and could find destination and routes. Maybe you have to download more areas of usa? I don't know. But it works 100% in flight mode. I love it
Sent from my RM-846_eu_euro2_357 using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077