Have the 520, eBay has the 920 for $140. Good buy?

rcloke91

Jul 28, 2014
Visit site
Updating the 920 that just came in the mail that I bought off the eBay listing on here. Haven't even popped my sim in yet.

Wow, this thing is heavy. Solid, certainly, but will take some getting used to.

The best thing? I don't think this device has ever been used. I think it's brand new and was sold as refurbed. I checked the lifetime counter (##634#) and the total was a bunch of zeros.

That's pretty sweet.

Brent Church

May 28, 2014
Visit site
I just got mine as well and it does not appear used either. I think the battery accounts for the weight. Need a case surely for grip alone. Updating to 8.1 preview now. Even in 8.0 all actions seemed noticeably faster than my 520.

Updating the 920 that just came in the mail that I bought off the eBay listing on here. Haven't even popped my sim in yet.

Wow, this thing is heavy. Solid, certainly, but will take some getting used to.

The best thing? I don't think this device has ever been used. I think it's brand new and was sold as refurbed. I checked the lifetime counter (##634#) and the total was a bunch of zeros.

That's pretty sweet.

Last edited:

ben55124

Nov 30, 2011
Visit site
I bought 2 through this deal - like others moving up from L520s. The 520s were hitting their limits with 8.1. Nice to have a premium WP8 option with no contract friendly pricing. The 920s show no physical signs of past use - just an open box likely from the refurbers unlocking the phone. They must have also upgraded to WP8 GDR 3. Hope the likely 2yo battery is still ok.

I would upgrade to Developer Preview 8.1, but with the L1520 drama, I think I'll wait for the official 920 8.1/cyan update. Going back to 8.0, I remember how easy it was to post a picture on Facebook.

rcloke91

Jul 28, 2014
Visit site
I bought 2 through this deal - like others moving up from L520s. The 520s were hitting their limits with 8.1. Nice to have a premium WP8 option with no contract friendly pricing. The 920s show no physical signs of past use - just an open box likely from the refurbers unlocking the phone. They must have also upgraded to WP8 GDR 3. Hope the likely 2yo battery is still ok.

I would upgrade to Developer Preview 8.1, but with the L1520 drama, I think I'll wait for the official 920 8.1/cyan update. Going back to 8.0, I remember how easy it was to post a picture on Facebook.

Dial ##634# .If you get a lifetime counter of a bunch of zeroes (like I did), then this phone is probably brand new or a real factory refurb (with new battery as as most manufactuers replace them during refurbishment).

I really think we lucked out on this deal. I upgraded to 8.1 and it's solid. It's not my daily driver (my HTC One replacement finally came in the mail today--I'm still primarily an android guy), but it's a very, very solid device. The heft is incredible.

What color did you get?

ben55124

Nov 30, 2011
Visit site
It shows 01:00:51 which is about the amount of time I have spent on the phone (HH:MM:SS), so that's all me. Yellow to remind me how exciting I am.

rcloke91

Jul 28, 2014
Visit site
To me that means these devices are brand new, which is fantastic. I plan to duke it out with the HTC One for my love and really want to test the two cameras.

Having some issues transferring texts over, though, which is a bummer. I hoard texts like nobody's business.

Anyone have app or settings suggestions?

rcloke91

Jul 28, 2014
Visit site
I got a new L920 on Tigerdirect.com for $135 + $7 shipped, not too bad for brand new, not unlocked though

I also thought about going through TD, but when I finally got around to deciding it was sold out, so went with the eBay refurb. This phone has *never* had a phone call made on it before today. I'm almost positive it's a brand new device.

Did you get the red from TD or were they offering other colors?

carlson03

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, I was the one who posted the TD deal on slickdeals...I got the red one, its pretty nice...had I known the ebay refurb hadn't had a call on it, I would have gotten that...I have AT&T, so I don't really care...just loaded DP8.1 on it, loving it!

Brent Church

May 28, 2014
Visit site
My 920 is working really well. No problems thus far. I now need to consider a case for it to tighten that slick plastic grip. I'd rather leave the screen exposed as well as the photo shutter button. Ideas?

JohnStrk

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
My 920 is working really well. No problems thus far. I now need to consider a case for it to tighten that slick plastic grip. I'd rather leave the screen exposed as well as the photo shutter button. Ideas?

Even though I hardly use it, I have a black Incipio DualPro Hard Shell Case for my yellow 920. Great case and offers protection around the screen. Got mine from Amazon last year for around $20.
Incipio DualPro Hard Shell Case

rcloke91

Jul 28, 2014
Visit site
Has anyone switched out the housing on their's?

I have the red, but it's definitely slick and not really my color. I had to settle for it when I hemmed and hawed when all the colors were available and I didn't buy then.

The swap looks pretty easy, but it'd be cool to know if anyone else has done it before.

Posted via Windows Phone Central App

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Has anyone switched out the housing on their's?

I have the red, but it's definitely slick and not really my color. I had to settle for it when I hemmed and hawed when all the colors were available and I didn't buy then.

The swap looks pretty easy, but it'd be cool to know if anyone else has done it before.

Posted via Windows Phone Central App

I haven't done it, but its definitely been done before

rcloke91

Jul 28, 2014
Visit site
I decided to return my 920 in favor of the 635 (with a reminder what I also have a 520).

I knew that a WP device wasn't going to be my faily driver, and as a backup device I just didn't think the 920 was the right fit for me. Don't get me wrong, it's a very good phone. Super solidly built, fast despite its age, and a worthy entry device for a more full-featured WP experience. However, despite it's being a tank I found it to just be too heavy for me to carry around in additional to my HTC One daily driver. The camera wasn't very good, imo. From the stills I've seen it was really, really incredible with Portico, but most pictures came out with too much noise for my liking. I didn't see much an improvement over the One in regard to picture quality. Also, as I planned on using a backup WP as a media device, the 32 gigs of built-in storage, while very nice, ,wasn't enough for the few apps I use and all the music I carry. In this regard the 635 was better for me, especially with the recent update to Xbox Music that makes externally-stored media usable.

I liked the 920, and for $140 dollars it was sweet. Just wasn't the right fit for me. If it were lighter, had a smaller footprint, and an SD slot I would have kept it without question. 635 has a leg up for me because of these things (and better battery life, too).

If you got a 920 in this sale, it's definitely worth it. I also recommend the 635. I like Windows Phone a lot. I know there's a decisive idea of the potential of android apps running on WP in favor of native apps, but if Windows Phone closed the second tier app gap for me then I'd be using this daily. I know everyone says that, though.

Good luck to all who have new 920s!

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site

We just got the transparent gel case from wpcentral store which only had one review but it was great. Better than the previous one we got from amazon. That soaked up the denim color of jeans!
Only bad thing for you is camera button is covered, but having had my 920 for two year I find it better to use the screen to shoot as the pressure required for the button can move the camera and cause blur.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05