Lumia 820 to 920 good upgrade?

JamesPTao

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
I like I because i keep my phones a while and micro USB ports are only rated for 300-500 uses so by using qi I do t have to worry about it going bad. I also love tht I don't have to fumble for cables at night when going to bed I just set it down on the pad.

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
I like I because i keep my phones a while and micro USB ports are only rated for 300-500 uses so by using qi I do t have to worry about it going bad. I also love tht I don't have to fumble for cables at night when going to bed I just set it down on the pad.

Don't put it on charging all night, bad idea.

JamesPTao

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
Its actually better for the longevity of the phone battery to use qi. I leave my phone on the charger every night and have owned it for 21 months. Battery is still like new.

Visa Declined

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Don't put it on charging all night, bad idea.

This is true. Leaving your phone charging after it's reached 100% is damaging long-term. Li-ion and Lipo batteries should never be kept at 100%, that's why when you buy a new phone it comes out of the box half charged. That's how they ship them. I always put my phone on the charger and take it up to 85-90% before I go to bed, then top it off right before I leave for work.

JamesPTao

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
This is true. Leaving your phone charging after it's reached 100% is damaging long-term. Li-ion and Lipo batteries should never be kept at 100%, that's why when you buy a new phone it comes out of the box half charged. That's how they ship them. I always put my phone on the charger and take it up to 85-90% before I go to bed, then top it off right before I leave for work.
You're right it is true for these batteries, my point was it doesn't apply since qi shuts off charging at 100% and since its not direct power connection there is no trickle charging either.

Visa Declined

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
You're right it is true for these batteries, my point was it doesn't apply since qi shuts off charging at 100% and since its not direct power connection there is no trickle charging either.

Any type of charger will keep your device sitting at maximum charge all night though, even USB. They shut off when the battery reaches 100%, but if the battery drops a percentage, it will immediately kick back on. This isn't good for the battery.

JamesPTao

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
Any type of charger will keep your device sitting at maximum charge all night though, even USB. They shut off when the battery reaches 100%, but if the battery drops a percentage, it will immediately kick back on. This isn't good for the battery.
But USB will trickle charge even when it tells it to stop charging, it is the nature of physically connected chargers. With qi you don't have the direct current connection which makes a big difference. Sorry my friend worked in electronics for years, so a lot of people may not realize this but that is why it is considered bad because trickle charging is what does the most damage when referring to overnight charging.

JamesPTao

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
What do you guys mean by "long term"? ...who has a phone more than 2 years nowadays?
These days 2 years is long term. Since at best most micro USB ports are rated at 500 uses even 1 year puts you at that rating or less since people usually plug their phone in at least once a day but usually more for extra charging mid day or synching with a computer.

carlson03

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site

I had mine on the wireless charger the other night and kept it on there a while, pulled it off it was at 96%, last night when I took it off it was at 99%, so mine doesn't re-up to 100%, not sure if it is normal or not

Last edited:

philhachey

Banned
Jul 21, 2013
Visit site
These days 2 years is long term. Since at best most micro USB ports are rated at 500 uses even 1 year puts you at that rating or less since people usually plug their phone in at least once a day but usually more for extra charging mid day or synching with a computer.

Wow, I probably plug my phone in more than 5 times a day(on average) and I'm almost at the 2 year mark with no issues.

JamesPTao

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
Wow, I probably plug my phone in more than 5 times a day(on average) and I'm almost at the 2 year mark with no issues.
The 500 mark is life expectancy. Many factors effect it. Looser connections are better on it. And many people have better lick, that's just how many uses it is designed to guarantee. Wasn't a big deal back when Nokia and many other phones had normal plugin ports as well as micro USB.

JamesPTao

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
The 500 mark is life expectancy. Many factors effect it. Looser connections are better on it. And many people have better lick, that's just how many uses it is designed to guarantee. Wasn't a big deal back when Nokia and many other phones had normal plugin ports as well as micro USB.

Eren68

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
All this talk about batteries and charging is interesting although it's not something I worry about as batteries are not difficult to come by, and swapping the usb out on the 920 is a total breeze, as is removing the back cover and swapping it out for a different shade. Changing a faulty usb on an 820 is much more involving.

I have bought and sold hundreds of 820's and 920's, and in my humble opinion, the upgrade path from 820 to 920 is a small but worthy upgrade.
The ONLY thing I miss about the 820 is the amoled display, but everything else is better on the 920. I have amoled on my 925 but the 920 as a device feels more robust, as does the 820 so I'm parting company with the 925 and living with my 920, with no rush to upgrade it.

My daughter has the 820 and like the 920, it's still as good as the current crop of newer Lumia devices at this time, as there really isn't anything in the store that really taxes the dual core cpu. This will change in the future no doubt, but right now, if it's a cost efficient upgrade, then it's a worthy upgrade.

The 820 and the 920 Lumia devices in my opinion are still the best windows phone 8 devices Nokia ever produced. Now that the software has caught up with the hardware, there really isn't the need to upgrade, other than for 'gear lust' :smile:

Lumiaa620

Apr 11, 2013
Visit site
Here is a user of L920 (who has a crappy FF camera due the dust). So like someone said if the L920 is new got ahead its an awesome device with not lots of problems.
But I would highly recommend to wait for the L830.

Rohan Deshmukh

May 6, 2014
Visit site
L820 has been quite an unsung hero...I have been thinking of upgrade myself too, but no obvious choices available either in WP or even in Android (at that price level) :(

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss