Hello guys, I just bought a second hand 920(not in warranty) from a friend that was in pristine condition. Soon after 2 weeks of use, and probably overuse(which also caused a lot of heating up of the phone) the touch screen stopped functioning. The hardware buttons work fine.

To give you a chronological order of events:

• Phone bought
    • little heating up issues but phone worked fine with apps like whatsapp, facebook, insta, etc.
    • started using a samsung charger a week later for about 2-3 days for convenience sake
    • phone heated up even more and touchscreen froze while using the phone connected to the charger
    • first few times, phone worked fine after letting it be for a bit.
    • this went a step further by the phone heating up the same way but the touchscreen not functioning with any cooling off. Then I started doing the soft reset of the phone and it would start working again only for a short period.
    • this same incident occured when using 3g while i was travelling only once.
    • I can only use the phone extremely lightly, not able to use any app continuously for about 5 minutes.
    • The touch screen has completely been disabled and is not functional.
    • I have come back to using the Nokia charger and only then do I have the possibility of accessing the phone sometimes in the day.
    • Now the phone is not usable most of the time, there will only be faint moments where I can get to use the phone.
    • I have hard reset the phone as well, with no positive results. I've tried the hard reset from the phone itself and the software recovery tool as well.

I haven't yet gone to the Nokia Care center, plan to do so this week.

I personally think this is because of using third party or non nokia chargers, but these chargers have the same output. I don't know how that's possible.

Because I have a lock code, there are a few more issues involved with connecting the phone with a non functional touchscreen too.

I would really appreciate your insights on this matter as I feel totally helpless with this and a replacement is out of the question.
    07-31-2014 02:55 PM
    Hello guys, I just bought a second hand 920(not in warranty) from a friend that was in pristine condition. Soon after 2 weeks of use, and probably overuse(which also caused a lot of heating up of the phone) the touch screen stopped functioning. The hardware buttons work fine.

To give you a chronological order of events:

• Phone bought
    • little heating up issues but phone worked fine with apps like whatsapp, facebook, insta, etc.
    • started using a samsung charger a week later for about 2-3 days for convenience sake
    • phone heated up even more and touchscreen froze while using the phone connected to the charger
    • first few times, phone worked fine after letting it be for a bit.
    • this went a step further by the phone heating up the same way but the touchscreen not functioning with any cooling off. Then I started doing the soft reset of the phone and it would start working again only for a short period.
    • this same incident occured when using 3g while i was travelling only once.
    • I can only use the phone extremely lightly, not able to use any app continuously for about 5 minutes.
    • The touch screen has completely been disabled and is not functional.
    • I have come back to using the Nokia charger and only then do I have the possibility of accessing the phone sometimes in the day.
    • Now the phone is not usable most of the time, there will only be faint moments where I can get to use the phone.
    • I have hard reset the phone as well, with no positive results. I've tried the hard reset from the phone itself and the software recovery tool as well.

I haven't yet gone to the Nokia Care center, plan to do so this week.

I personally think this is because of using third party or non nokia chargers, but these chargers have the same output. I don't know how that's possible.

Because I have a lock code, there are a few more issues involved with connecting the phone with a non functional touchscreen too.

I would really appreciate your insights on this matter as I feel totally helpless with this and a replacement is out of the question.
    Sounds like the excessive heating has messed up the glue holding the digitiser to the screen and it's causing issues. Nokia Care may look at it but it might cost a fair bit since it's out of warranty. Also, if it happens 2 weeks after you receiving it I would say it wasn't in as pristine condition as you were led to believe.

As for chargers - it's recommended to use official kit only. However out of need I had to use the charger from a Galaxy Note 2 at one point to charge my 620 and it's suffered no ill effect in the few months I did it.

I would try this to temporarily remove the lock screen code: stand in a freezer and try the phone. It should stay cool enough for you to sort that out.

Nokia Care may just do a hard reset (and you pay for the privilege). It might work out cheaper to acquire a donor 920 and transplant the logic board into it.
    07-31-2014 03:01 PM