What are the best alternatives or equivalents to gmail and google maps? I find these more intuitive than the built in ones.
    08-12-2014 02:16 PM
    Here maps and outlook?

With outlook you now have push support so you get the email the moment it is received. Nothing beats offline maps (heremaps uses Navteq Data) especially you've just upgraded to a smartphone with a feature phone sim (so no data access) or low on your data allowance.

In windows phone 8.1 you have native google calendar and contact sync along with gmail via email + accounts, you can use gmaps (third party app) if you still want to use google maps.
    Laura Knotek and xandros9 like this.
    08-12-2014 02:23 PM
  3. George Mathew Jose Kalarickal's Avatar
    outlook and here maps.
    08-12-2014 02:27 PM
    I still use my 3 gmail accounts on a daily basis. The normal setup doesn't seem to bring new emails instantly.
    08-12-2014 02:44 PM
    What are the best alternatives or equivalents to gmail and google maps? I find these more intuitive than the built in ones.
    None. By far, the best in terms of user friendliness and great search function and results. But, no real offline maps.

Just need to get by with Here. Sometimes, I use both Google and Here maps to compare.
    08-13-2014 08:50 AM
    After updating my L920 to DP, I deleted my gmail account, and reset it. Now the new emails come immediately to my device, and I have contacts sync, that wasn't working before. So maybe trying to reset your accounts will help.
    Sent from my Lumia 920
    08-13-2014 09:08 AM
    Honestly, I still prefer Gmail on the desktop, but MetroMail on my L920 works extremely well. It's not perfect, but good enough where I can still use Gmail without any issues, and still get the tab categorizing. I don't miss a beat. As for Google Maps, the desktop client is slow (yay for dynamic vector drawing?), but on a phone, I've had a hard time deciding if I prefer Google Maps or Here Drive. They work a bit differently, but both are fantastic. I have not missed Google Maps on my phone at all. Also, offline maps FTW, especially when you live in the middle of nowhere....which is why I prefer Here over Google.
    08-14-2014 08:29 AM
    On iOS, nothing beats Google Maps, Apple Maps suck.

On windows phone, Bing maps is the only alternative to a free one besides Navagon and other paid map solutions. Bing Maps use the Here Maps data. I find that Bing Maps in the USA has more POI than Here Maps.

Google Maps is still the standard bearer in maps across many platforms. There are some 3rd party Windows Phone apps that use the API for Google Maps. They are okay but don't use turn by turn voice directions.

Sent from my Surface Pro 3 using Tapatalk
    08-14-2014 09:00 PM
    Outlook, and especially, Office 365.

Navteq maps owned by Nokia are arguably the very best that exists, with the best coverage. Research it. HERE and Navigon and Bing use them. The off line, downloaded maps are also the best way for the most circumstances, so again Navteq maps and Navigon and HERE. The internet is not available consistently all the time, at fast speeds, free or cheap, and unlimited data. With Navigon or HERE and Navteq maps downloaded onto your phone, you are good to go. Now, certainly, the cloistered wealthy that never venture from their internet tether can just access anything on the internet.
    Last edited by Kevin Rush; 08-20-2014 at 11:41 PM.
    08-14-2014 09:24 PM
    Now a days Outlook is coming forward and competing with Gmail. even we have better alternatives for gmail.
    but where coming to Maps its highly recommended to google maps there are no maps provides better than Google Maps. So, for maps it's strictly recommended to Google.
    12-20-2014 03:57 AM
    Use the web version of Google Maps. It's updated with material design (the previous ugly design doesn't exist anymore).
    12-25-2014 01:20 PM
    I pretty much quit using my Google account...moved all of my contacts/calendar to Outlook, so I use the Outlook and HERE maps
    12-25-2014 06:25 PM
    I have been using Here Maps. Spend a lot of time to move maps on SD Card (Fix it via "Lumia storage check beta"). Anything else working like a charm.
    12-26-2014 04:09 PM
    I know that the post is a little bit outdated, but if somebody is looking for a good Google Maps alternative, then I can recommend you OpenStreetMap. It is customizable mapping service which is totally for free - so you can use it without any problem. But also if you would like to know more alternatives, then i suggest you to check out this article.
    08-22-2018 08:47 AM