Windows 8.1 update killed my lumia 920!!

tatotiburon

Apr 18, 2013
Visit site
Well i was in the preview dev, my lumia 920 have black update, then a few days ago it updated to 8.1 and started to have some issues:

1. the lock button didn't work very well if i try to unlock the phone it tooked 3 seconds to unlock, the same thing with double tap
2. today the battery charging icon was always on, even with the phone disconnected from the power cable and the battery was always 0%
3. volume buttons, lock button and camera button stop working but it let me did a few hard resets

ok i tried once again a full reset and after a few tries because the phone freeze several times i finally get to the home screen AND THE SAME ERROR, THE CHARGING ICON AND THE BATTERY 0% WITHOUT THE CABLE

I left the phone connected to the power cable for 2 hours but it doesn't charge anything, if i try to restore my backup the phone shutdown itself and show me the black screen with the battery charging

i'm so **** off right now

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Blame yourself, not MS.

Not exactly, it was positioned more as a wink-wink nudge-nudge early access program that ended up being more of a beta.

Eh, if a hard reset didn't help, I'd try reflashing, and then I'd contact support. Sorry to hear, some bad luck.

tatotiburon

Apr 18, 2013
Visit site
one thing is that i have some bugs in a preview os and other thing is that oficial preview kills my phone...it's like my xbox one sundenly stop working because i joined the preview program...WTF??

Zulfigar

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
one thing is that i have some bugs in a preview os and other thing is that oficial preview kills my phone...it's like my xbox one sundenly stop working because i joined the preview program...WTF??

Sounds to me like something got corrupted during the download, which does happen all the time with how much we depend on wireless networks. If this is the case, there's really nobody you can blame, it's just a freak accident. I'd go ahead and reflash your phone via the Nokia care suite, and go from there.

Good luck, sir!

WinLVR

Feb 4, 2014
Visit site
Well i was in the preview dev, my lumia 920 have black update, then a few days ago it updated to 8.1 and started to have some issues:

I feel sorry for you. I was just about to swipe my CC to enroll for dev program.

Any one have any idea when can we expect L920 official 8.1 release ?

Zulfigar

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
I feel sorry for you. I was just about to swipe my CC to enroll for dev program.

Any one have any idea when can we expect L920 official 8.1 release ?

Enrolling is actually free, and officially, it's already out,, unless your on a specific carrier, then it's up to them.

tatotiburon

Apr 18, 2013
Visit site
This is so mess up...tried the recovery tool, didn't work, then tried with NCS and other firmwares with cyan, didn't work...i flashed this phone like 5 times all night and nothing worked, the same error with the battery, I have to do various hard reset to have the battery icon back to normal but the volume, power and camera buttons are gone.

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
Hard reset (Settings > about > reset)and don't restore. It actually works since your phone starts fresh. If that doesn't work then you could always downgrade and send it to nokia.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
This is so mess up...tried the recovery tool, didn't work, then tried with NCS and other firmwares with cyan, didn't work...i flashed this phone like 5 times all night and nothing worked, the same error with the battery, I have to do various hard reset to have the battery icon back to normal but the volume, power and camera buttons are gone.

Sounds unrelated to the update then.

The NCS update tool uses a very low level bootloader that is basically indestructible to update the system to a baseline. When that doesn't work other issues typically exist...

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site

1. the lock button didn't work very well if i try to unlock the phone it tooked 3 seconds to unlock, the same thing with double tap
2. today the battery charging icon was always on, even with the phone disconnected from the power cable and the battery was always 0%
3. volume buttons, lock button and camera button stop working but it let me did a few hard resets

ok i tried once again a full reset and after a few tries because the phone freeze several times i finally get to the home screen AND THE SAME ERROR, THE CHARGING ICON AND THE BATTERY 0% WITHOUT THE CABLE

I left the phone connected to the power cable for 2 hours but it doesn't charge anything, if i try to restore my backup the phone shutdown itself and show me the black screen with the battery charging

i'm so **** off right now

I have the latest preview version on my 920. I got sick of the beta lockscreen app taking a second or so to show the lockscreen and then another second for it to go away. So, I uninstalled it and went back to the normal lockscreen yesterday. Everything started off just fine. Now I hit the power button and instead of instantly showing the lockscreen, it shows the resuming screen (like when you are reopening an app) for 2 seconds before going to the lockscreen. I wonder if that lockscreen beta app screwed things up....

Zulfigar

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
I have the latest preview version on my 920. I got sick of the beta lockscreen app taking a second or so to show the lockscreen and then another second for it to go away. So, I uninstalled it and went back to the normal lockscreen yesterday. Everything started off just fine. Now I hit the power button and instead of instantly showing the lockscreen, it shows the resuming screen (like when you are reopening an app) for 2 seconds before going to the lockscreen. I wonder if that lockscreen beta app screwed things up....

Turn Kids Corner on.

JamesPTao

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
I think it does, had the same issues. Turned kids corner back on (I think the beta lockscrwwn app turned it off) and soft reset it and it works fine now. You might google if it needs anything else done, I can't remember if I had to change any other settings back.

Zulfigar

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
Done that, same result...yes i will try to send it to Nokia but the warranty expired in april

One last suggestion -

1.Press and hold the Volume down button and Power buttons at the same time until you feel a vibration (about 10-15 seconds).

2.When you feel the vibration, immediately press and hold the Volume down button until you see a large exclamation mark.

3.Once the exclamation mark appears, press the following four buttons in this order: Volume up button, Volume down button, Power button, Volume down button. Your phone should now reset and restart itself. (It might take a while for the reset to finish.)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte