Camera driver

Zarevac

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
I've been struggling the following for some time. Ever since I updated to WP 8.1 via Developer Preview the camera doesn't work anymore. I've been resetting the Phone and after a while I managed to pinpoint the problem to the firmware. The driver somehow crashes according to the Troubleshoot App in Nokia Suite. So I decided to update the whole lot and erased again everthing from the Phone. The specs are now as following:

Nokia Lumia 920
Carrier CV NL
OS Version: 8.10.12393.890
Firmware revision number: 3051.50009.1424.0005

Strangely enough the camera still doesn't launch and bounces back to the start screen.

Now I wonder if I should revert back to version 8.0 and then update again as my camera worked before, or if I should wait for additional updates? The Nokia Recovery software however just reverts it back to 8.1, so I don't even know if its possible? Any suggestions are welcome. Otherwise I am sattisfied with the product, being an Expat I've got the settings on US despite that I am in Europe but I like the Cortana feature to much. I also have set it back to the standard country settings but to no avail.

fpostrow

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
I've been experiencing the same exact issue since shortly after DP 8.1 was installed. Unfortunately my phone will not connect to my PC at this point so I need to disassemble and make sure the port connector is properly seated before taking next diagnostic steps. I'll post to this thread if I make any progress worth discussing.

Grodelj

Apr 2, 2013
Visit site
In you flash back to 8.0 main camera will work, but front will not. On 8.1 none of the cams will work. Looks like there are many of us with the same problem across the lumia range: 920, 1020, 820, 720,...

Zarevac

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Yes, I had a chat with the good folks of Nokia Support. It seems the driver for the camera doesn't load good. I.e. its a firmware and not hardware problem. The problem is that each carrier has different versions as well of the firmware. I still have warranty so I gave them my specs and data and their tech. department is now looking into it. They will contact me when they have a fix they said, but I don't know how long that will take. Either way, I will follow-up with them next week and if something new develops I will post it here as well for future reference.

carlodedonno

Aug 20, 2014
Visit site
I have exactly the same problem. in April I installed the Preview for Developers, everything worked fine without any problem, until yesterday.
I updated to the latest firmware and my camera isn't working at all, using various app, pushing the camera button, I get only a second of loading screen and the Start menu appears again. Ofc camera was working fine beforehand.

I spent the whole night trying to fix this. I somehow managed to downgrade to WP 8.0 and Lumia Black, camera was working fine, even though I forgot to check the front camera. Then I updated again, hoping for better luck, but no, always the same problem. I think it might be something related to Lumia Cyan, I used to have the Preview for Developers and never had problems with the camera.

What's more, when I try to download any app that uses the camera, I get an error message (in the attachments).

I seriously don't know what to do, I could downgrade, but now I will miss too much the new features introduced by WP 8.1, on the other hand tha camera was one of the main reasons why I bought the Lumia 920. It's ridicolous that I have to go on without it.

UPDATE

I downgraded again, and yes, I have got the same problem with the front camera. This is bugging me. I doubt that those jackasses at MS will spend some time trying to fix a bug that, after all, has affected just a few users.

I have managed to update to WP 8.1 - Preview for Developers without installing Lumia Cyan, but the problem persists.

Attachments

• wp_ss_20140822_0002.png
    wp_ss_20140822_0002.png
    141.6 KB · Views: 3
  • wp_ss_20140822_0001.png
    wp_ss_20140822_0001.png
    106.4 KB · Views: 5
  • wp_ss_20140822_0003.png
    wp_ss_20140822_0003.png
    175.6 KB · Views: 3
  • wp_ss_20140822_0004.png
    wp_ss_20140822_0004.png
    154.2 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

Zarevac

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Ok, did some additional testing myself. This is what the error log is when trying to launch the camera:

[SUB]5
Test name:
Secondary camera Non volatile memory self test

Test description:
Calculates Non volatile checksum for secondary camera.

Result:
MINOR

Result (detailed view):
Could not open sec camera driver

Data description:

Method description:
- Expected NVM checksum (2 bytes, MSB first)
- Calculated NVM checksum (2 bytes, MSB first)

Test name:
Camera interface test for second camera

Test description:
Tests that all data lines between camera sensor and CSI receiver are functional

Result:
MINOR

Result (detailed view):
Could not open sec camera driver

Data description:
Detailed result contains following information:
Camera Model ID (2 bytes, MSB first)
Camera major revision (1 byte)
Camera minor revision (1 byte)
Camera manufacturer ID (1 byte)
Camera serial number (10 ascii characters, if shorter filled with 0x00, by default string is NOT '\\0' terminated)
Number of sent image frames from camera (1 byte)
Number of received packets over CSI-2 data bus (2 bytes, MSB first)
CRC errors detected by the CSI-2 receiver (4 bytes, MSB first)
ECC errors detected by the CSI-2 receiver (4 bytes, MSB first)
Expected NVM checksum (2 bytes, MSB first)
Calculated NVM checksum (2 bytes, MSB first)

Method description:
Test verifies that correct amount of data has been passed from camera sensor to CSI receiver and checks all transfer errors from receiver
[/SUB]

carlodedonno

Aug 20, 2014
Visit site
Daniel Rubino is experiencing the same problem on a HTC One. It's not about Lumia Cyan, it's something about WP 8.1
Hopefully he'll find a solution...

mubbee naeem

Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
I have exactly the same problem. in April I installed the Preview for Developers, everything worked fine without any problem, until yesterday.
I updated to the latest firmware and my camera isn't working at all, using various app, pushing the camera button, I get only a second of loading screen and the Start menu appears again. Ofc camera was working fine beforehand.

I spent the whole night trying to fix this. I somehow managed to downgrade to WP 8.0 and Lumia Black, camera was working fine, even though I forgot to check the front camera. Then I updated again, hoping for better luck, but no, always the same problem. I think it might be something related to Lumia Cyan, I used to have the Preview for Developers and never had problems with the camera.

What's more, when I try to download any app that uses the camera, I get an error message (in the attachments).

I seriously don't know what to do, I could downgrade, but now I will miss too much the new features introduced by WP 8.1, on the other hand tha camera was one of the main reasons why I bought the Lumia 920. It's ridicolous that I have to go on without it.

UPDATE

I downgraded again, and yes, I have got the same problem with the front camera. This is bugging me. I doubt that those jackasses at MS will spend some time trying to fix a bug that, after all, has affected just a few users.

I have managed to update to WP 8.1 - Preview for Developers without installing Lumia Cyan, but the problem persists.

How did you managed to downgrade to WP 8.0 black.... can you guide me the process... THANKS
And by the way, i have the same problem. Thanks in advance

Grodelj

Apr 2, 2013
Visit site
I think the only way to downgrade now is, if you have downloaded the image of nokia black and stored it somewhere previously. Now you can flash it with nokia care suite. If you don't have the files, maybe you can google them, if somebody has made them available.

mubbee naeem

Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
i have somehow flashed my 920 and now i'm back with windows phone 8.0. Should i upgrade to Cyan once again, will my camera work now. Suggestions please !!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb