Does anyone feel that ATT 920 users have been left out to dry?

dcbakkk

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
AT&T would be quite happy to get you into an iPhone 5S or Galaxy S5. They're not necessarily expecting a lateral move. Sometimes it seems like they, along with other carriers, would be quite happy to see Windows Phone dead because it would be one less platform to support.

A business company, They only want to earn more money, I just wanna say 'fk them'.

dcbakkk

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
As an IT professional for over 3 decades, it's always amazed me how quickly people jump to accusations of incompetence or Machiavellian conspiracies when the truly likely causes for any delay of this sort almost always revolve around limited resources. It seems that many people believe that corporations have infinite resources to put behind every project and issue. It ain't true, folks!

Possible causes for why the 920 hasn't been updated yet:
- The testing group had it scheduled toward the end, since the 'group' probably isn't very big, and may have other projects running besides Cyan/Win 8.1. They had to set up some kind of testing order when they started, and probably chose something based on newest to oldest, as we've observed. It may just be that they haven't had time to finish yet. Go easy on them, they're human, too.
- It's also possible that they've gotten smarter as they've progressed, maybe due to customer service calls on the phones released already, and have found issues that they've had to send back to Microsoft for resolution.
- Or perhaps they're just getting too many support calls on the upgrades already released (we know it's not perfect, look at the posts on WPCentral), and support has requested a delay until they get caught up. We all know AT&T support doesn't have infinite resources, at least those of us who have called it in the past.

I know, me saying 'calm down' isn't going to untwist anyone's knickers, but at least try adjusting them so you're more comfortable while you wait.

Reasonable, but the waiting is agonising. Especially after AT&T made a promise.

aikidaves

May 21, 2014
Visit site
Reasonable, but the waiting is agonising. Especially after AT&T made a promise.

Also consider the competition. If they finish before Verizon and T-Mobile (we won't even mention Sprint), they're the 'best' in the US. Unfortunately, that's a pretty low bar at the moment...

Pappa Ed

Mar 8, 2012
Visit site
One other thing to consider. The 920 is a pretty small slice of the windows phone devices pie. Not everyone opted for the hero phone of the day. Maybe the updates are being rolled to the phones most people have first to maximize saturation of the update. Just my $.02.

ashram

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
Not quite a broken promise. It says they will be among the first to bring WP 8.1. With only 4 major carriers, this is an easy thing to say.

Very true. And well, they were amongst the 1st in north America to release 8.1. Also, it doesn't say they would be 1st for every device. I'm just as anxious as the next guy to get cyan on my 920, but, if we have to wait, complaining won't accomplish anything.

pedmar007

Jun 17, 2014
Visit site
I've read responses to my posts on this matter and quite frankly though you do have valid points when making reference to EOC devices and the need to upgrade to the next best thing. What you have totally lost sight of is that this WP8.1 update is not a revolutionary upgrade to the OS as the features are those already in use for almost 2 years+ ago. So again since there are no new out there features whta is it that has to be tested. If Android and IOS has these same features and you didn't wait 1 day to release any of IOS's own why take wks with this WP one. I guess you can say that with IOS it's basically 1 phone with either a newer processor, better camera or bigger screen but yet the same device. Is WP so behind the times that a update release can be for so long?

In hindsight when Android releases any update it's usually for particular devices and then others get it a lot later. Was surprised to see certain devices now getting KitKat 4.4.3 when 4.4.4 was out already and I'm talking about devices that were released for December last year to May 2014.

BrianCoe

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
The wait wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't for the complete lack of communication. It would be nice to see a tweet from the company saying, "Hey, sorry, we were planning on releasing the update this week, but we had some issues that previous releases uncovered. We are trying to resolve these issues ASAP." or something to that effect. The complete silence from the company makes this maddening. Also, as I type this, it has been two weeks since the last major release of an update on AT&T. I was hoping to get it before the end of the month, and it's looking pretty grim for that.

uselessrobot

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
The wait wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't for the complete lack of communication.

What is there to communicate? That AT&T doesn't give a crap about Windows Phone and can't be bothered to do timely testing? They're certainly not going to devote resources to speeding up the process. AT&T wouldd rather we all upgrade, preferably to a more profitable device like the iPhone 5S or Galaxy S5.

At this point I wouldn't be surprised if the 920 gets Cyan only after the iPhone 6 goes on sale. With that phone right around the corner, it's probably all hands on deck to appease Apple. AT&T sure as hell isn't going to admit that.

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
another week, another time of being ****ed over by ATT.

The 920 and 820 are the last phones.....I'm thinking we may totally get screwed on this deal.

Tom Snyder

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
What is there to communicate? That AT&T doesn't give a crap about Windows Phone and can't be bothered to do timely testing? They're certainly not going to devote resources to speeding up the process. AT&T wouldd rather we all upgrade, preferably to a more profitable device like the iPhone 5S or Galaxy S5.

At this point I wouldn't be surprised if the 920 gets Cyan only after the iPhone 6 goes on sale. With that phone right around the corner, it's probably all hands on deck to appease Apple. AT&T sure as hell isn't going to admit that.

Your probably right last years update started rolling out in AUG, AT&T did not roll it out until OCT they just are not concerned what we think or do.
Check out last years thread on the update, " http://forums.windowscentral.com/nokia-lumia-920/238465-did-t-forget-about-us.html " We got a long wait to go :unhappy:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)