att 920, 8.1, and cyan

zoso1161

Aug 31, 2014
Visit site
So im getting pretty tired of waiting on att to release the 8.1 update. If I install the dp does anyone know if ill be able to upgrade to cyan directly from the dp or will I have revert to 8.0 first. Thanks for any help.

armyvet66629

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
So im getting pretty tired of waiting on att to release the 8.1 update. If I install the dp does anyone know if ill be able to upgrade to cyan directly from the dp or will I have revert to 8.0 first. Thanks for any help.
You should be able to. Microsoft has confirmed that they've fixed the dreaded bitlocker issue that has plagued DP before during updates

zoso1161

Aug 31, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the quick reply. Ive been hesitant to go to the dp just because I didnt want to deal with reverting to 8.0. Guess im gonna bite the bullet and try it out.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
You should be aware that battery life for the 920 on 8.1 without Cyan is dreadful.

eh, I've found it isn't consistent. My battery life on Black + 8.1 was about 10 hours (10%/hr), which was a definite step down, but still tolerable and not yet dreadful.

ashram

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
I don't consider 10 hours tolerable. Even 1.5 years in my 920 easily does 36+ hours.

You must be a very light user, even on 8.0 (all variants) I'd be lucky to pull off 16 hours with moderate use. Then again, I do have 4 email accounts going as well as a couple of background apps.

boneycat

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
AT&T sucks with their updates. I mean even tiny carriers in 3rd world countries have already released updates for the 920. Unacceptable.

uselessrobot

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I might 30 minutes worth of calls and text a good deal throughout the day. My emails are pulled from 3 separate accounts and I check those infrequently throughout the day. I also consult Here Maps several times a day for my commute. In addition to that I might put in 1 hour total of gaming, although granted, I'm not playing resource hogs from Gameloft.

I'd say this is typical use for the vast majority of working individuals. If I had to charge my phone more than once a day with this kind of use I'd definitely consider it unacceptable.

aikidaves

May 21, 2014
Visit site
You should be aware that battery life for the 920 on 8.1 without Cyan is dreadful.

L920, 8.1 DP plus Update, on Black, with 3 active email accounts and a couple hours of reading the news, listening to music stored on my phone, occasional use of Here Drive +, and random browsing and web searches, I typically have anywhere from 20 to 50 percent left at the end of a 16 hour day unless I play a bunch of videos or games. It took a few adjustments to get to this point, but I'm satisfied with it. It will be nice if Cyan improves on this, but I'm not expecting a huge improvement. As long as I only have to charge the phone while I'm sleeping, it meets my desires.

sdreamer

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
AT&T sucks with their updates. I mean even tiny carriers in 3rd world countries have already released updates for the 920. Unacceptable.

Att does suck but I believe their like the only make US carrier pushing updates, none of the other three have pushed a single one with Verizon having the Icon and still not pushing it, kinda crazy hours much control US carriers have.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Att does suck but I believe their like the only make US carrier pushing updates, none of the other three have pushed a single one with Verizon having the Icon and still not pushing it, kinda crazy hours much control US carriers have.

A friend of mine just recently emigrated to the US, he used to ramble on about the weather and climate change.. now he rambles on about the carriers lol. They are driving him potty and I can imagine why, well at least he won't be driving his GF bonkers about the weather since that is all they talk about. Me and the guys used to joke about leaving him in the middle of a typhoon would actually bore the winds to a grinding halt :grin:

Honestly, watching paint dry would be more amusing then listening these two talk about climate change 24/7.

Dude, on the off chance your reading this, Good Riddance! (just kidding :winktongue:)

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
You should be able to. Microsoft has confirmed that they've fixed the dreaded bitlocker issue that has plagued DP before during updates

Actually, to be clear Microsoft confirmed that there never was a bitlocker issue. That was only seen on a few devices that were not installed using any Microsoft sanctioned installation method.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site

Nope. It's just as good/bad as it was under 8.0.

Most days I get 15-17 hours ATT 4G 920 8.1 GDR1 DP. Which is as good as 8.0.

Do I still get random days when the battery nukes itself, phone gets hot and I get 4-6 hours? Yes, but that's not the norm.

dcbakkk

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site

AT&T is a piece of s h i t, other US carrier also too.

fdalbor

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
While I agree AT&T is not very good with updates you are right that they are much better than Verizon or T-Mobile. I have a 925, 820 and two 520's. The two backup 520's and the 925 have alll been updated with cyan/8.1 only my 820 (oldest of the four phones) has not been. I am hoping when they do the 920 they do the 820 at the same time. (same update version number as 920)They just did (not AT&T) the 820 in India and we usually get updates pretty soon after that. Poor users on Verizon (my brother and his sons), and T-Mobile has gotten Zippo. Just remember when things are not good a lot of others are even WORST off than you. I am just using my backup 520 until they update my very good old 820.

aikidaves

May 21, 2014
Visit site
I wonder what the hold up is? Its beginning to feel like Sprint in here.

I think there are likely a couple of reasons for the delay.

I've heard from a couple of sources, including someone posting on another thread here at WPCentral, that AT&T phone support has been swamped with problems from people who have already gotten Cyan. If this is true, I can understand them wanting to delay the rest of the updates until after the holiday weekend.

The other thing I noticed is that AT&T appears to have assisted MS with restarting the Cyan updates for people in the Preview for Developers program, based on AT&T being first out of the gate with them. If so, they had to divert resources to do it, likely the ones involved in testing the 820 and 920 updates.

If these ideas resemble reality, I'd expect the 820 and 920 updates to come out this week, and apply to both PfD participants and regular users on WP 8.0. If we don't get it this week or those of us on PfD have to wait longer, I'll have to shop for a better crystal ball. <grin>

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb