Broken Display + Digitizer or Just Digitizer?

M3TAl

Sep 3, 2014
Visit site
Dropped my 920 flat on the screen a few months ago from about 2 ft high, never broken a phone before. How do I know if just the digitizer is cracked or the entire display too? Are those the only two parts comprising of the whole screen or is there more?

I'm fairly technologically and mechanically competent so taking the phone apart and repairing it doesn't bother me. Just need to know what all is broken/needs replacing. I don't have small enough torx screws at this time to take it apart, else I would take it apart to see what all is broken.

poit57

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
If the image of the display looks discolored or has black lines or spots around the area where the glass broke, the display is damaged as well. If the image looks normal underneath the glass, you should only need to replace the digitizer.

M3TAl

Sep 3, 2014
Visit site
As far as I can tell the colors look fine, there's just a lot of cracks. Touch and everything still works fine. So just the digitizer needs replacing?

vepac

Apr 30, 2014
Visit site
I thought they made the glass and digitizer together so you would have to replace both. So that means you would have to replace the screen.

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
I think its the other way round. If its the digitizer that broke then there would be no display at all. Since its just cracks it sounds like its just the glass

M3TAl

Sep 3, 2014
Visit site
Now I'm confused... Is there three parts? Display/LCD, Digitizer, and Glass Cover? Or is it just display and digitizer? I know from the video tutorials and parts that can be purchased that the display can be separated from the digitizer.

All I know for sure is the phone still works, there's just a lot of really deep cracks in it. The colors all seem fine/normal.

100_0546.JPG

100_0549.JPG

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
If the colors are fine then the digitizer (also known as an lcd) is fine...by the look of the pic I would say its the glass....esp if you can feel the cracks

M3TAl

Sep 3, 2014
Visit site
But a digitizer can't be an LCD as that is Liquid Crystal Display, the actual display that provides the video output. A digitizer from my understanding goes over the LCD/Display and converts your finger input to digital signals.

ShinraCorp

Feb 13, 2014
Visit site
But a digitizer can't be an LCD as that is Liquid Crystal Display, the actual display that provides the video output. A digitizer from my understanding goes over the LCD/Display and converts your finger input to digital signals.

Well the thing is most suppliers offer both digitizer and LCD screen together. Btw judging from your phone it's only the digitizer that's broken. Your theory is correct. The LCD is completely fine just the digitizer requires changing.

thejaredhuang

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
I'll be buying a digitizer with tools and the glue then. See if I can replace it properly.

In the us a digitizer is about $12-15 by itself. An OEM glass+digitizer is around $30. I would just change the glass. It will save you about and hour and you'll have a perfectly bonded digitizer.

troylee

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
My 920 screen display become yellow at the four corners... I also experienced this on my old Lumia 920.... What's wrong with it?

M3TAl

Sep 3, 2014
Visit site
In the us a digitizer is about $12-15 by itself. An OEM glass+digitizer is around $30. I would just change the glass. It will save you about and hour and you'll have a perfectly bonded digitizer.

I'd show you what I purchased already but apparently don't have the rights to post links. The ebay listing says: "OEM Touch Screen Glass Digitizer Lens Replacement Parts for Nokia Lumia 920 USA"

Do I need something more than this?

M3TAl

Sep 3, 2014
Visit site
Welp, new digitizer works but apparently I broke the LCD in the process lol. Just great. Half the screen is black and the other half is washed out with RGB lines in places.

Loco5150

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
No need to start a new thread I guess. I have one 920 with broken glass and I came to ask ppl about these. I know chaning only the glass can be a real PITA because its glued to the LCD. The screen and the digitizer needs to be taken a part very carefully using heat. I guess the best temperature is 85c. Then of course the new glass needs to be glued back to the LCD.

Has anyone bought the whole assembly from eBay, Im intrested hearing about the quality? I guess buying only the glass could be an option, cheaper at least.

M3TAl

Sep 3, 2014
Visit site
I literally just bought a used LCD+ Digi assembly from Ebay that came from an original Lumia 920. I really don't care if there is minor scratches from use, I need a working phone and it's nice knowing it is 100% real original parts.

Two interesting things to note about the Digitizer I bought. It was advertised as OEM but I don't think it was. The back, Windows, and search buttons were not translucent/see-through. The buttons don't light up at all when the screen is on. The PCB was also Revision 1 while the original was Revision 7.

dacarter77

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
wow, lots of sketchy information in this thread....

I have replaced 920 glass and digitizers four times. (Once for me, and 3 times for my daughter). Every screen I have bought had the digitizer with it, and I don't remember ever seeing a way to separate the two, so I would recommend always buying the glass/digitizer combo. They are now down in the low $20 range at etradesupply. The screen/digitizer is not glued to the LCD it's stuck on with a very sticky black tape. If you heat the screen with a blow dryer first, it helps it pull lose. Go slow, take your time, and use some compressed air to get the dust off the LCD just before installing the new glass. It's not a super difficult job after you have watched the video a couple of times.

Loco5150

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Yes screen has the digitizer and its hold to the LCD with black mobile tape. Taking it a part can be little tricky, but yes I have watched the videos.

So eTradeSupply has the original parts? I read that some of the Chinese screens sold in eBay for example, are lesser quality than the original ones. Which I guess isn't surprising at all.

ShinraCorp

Feb 13, 2014
Visit site
Yes screen has the digitizer and its hold to the LCD with black mobile tape. Taking it a part can be little tricky, but yes I have watched the videos.

So eTradeSupply has the original parts? I read that some of the Chinese screens sold in eBay for example, are lesser quality than the original ones. Which I guess isn't surprising at all.

Etradesupply has both OEM and Chinese and you can see the difference is 30$ for a knock off China one and 100$ for a OEM one...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss