Finally got my Lumia 920 Cyan update. Look at my battery.

Tepid

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
Only other way is to wait for Microsoft to release the hold on phones running preview for developers (it could be a couple weeks).

This has already been fixed and lifted. The hold is no longer in place.

On bitlocker issue: some people are reporting that the latest DP release still has bitlocker issue with Cyan. We think that's incorrect...
? joebelfiore (@joebelfiore) August 27, 2014

..we think the only cases of this, still, are folks who updated via a NON-PUBLIC mechanism that we used for small-group & internal testing.
? joebelfiore (@joebelfiore) August 27, 2014

aikidaves

May 21, 2014
Visit site
As of Friday 5 Sep 11:00 PM EDT, my AT&T L920 on 8.1.1 DP was still not getting the Cyan update. That suggests that Microsoft and/or AT&T hadn't released it for DP, since I most certainly got my DP updates from the public mechanism. When I checked NSRT, it had Cyan/8.1 available for direct install - no backup to Black/8.0 - so I went that route. I would have waited if I had to go back to 8.0 first, but for a squeaky clean install directly to Cyan, it was worth going through the restore and re-setup, for me, anyway.

So no, the hold had not been released for all models and carriers as of Friday night Eastern US time, and I doubt the situation has changed much in the 2 days since.

Rawliglat x

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
Well... maybe I'm paranoid but I don't really like tu use battery apps (only the stock app), I think batt apps will eat some battery power too.
Was same before I installed the battery app. I also have same philosophy as you regarding battery apps. I used only the stock app but later got this too better monitor my battery and see how I can Improve its life.

thegooner

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
I get wildly varying battery performance on my 920.

At the end of the day yesterday, I turned off all but one background task (Bing Weather), turned off location, NFC, Bluetooth and ensured no apps were running (long press of back button showed the Start screen only).

Battery life was 48% at 22:30 when I went to sleep, woke up early and checked my phone, at 04:30 it had gone down to 30%.

As I had difficulty going back to sleep, I looked at a Twitter and read numerous articles on the web referred to in my Twitter timeline.

At 06:30, after my screen being on for 2 hours of constant browsing, the battery had dropped down to 8%.

I'm a bit confused that by not using it at all, no apps and only 1 background task it went down 18% in 6 hours, and with 2 hours of constant use it went down 22%.

I'm on the post-Cyan dev preview, UK country variant ROM.

jrdatrackstar1223

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
I'm considering going from update 1 back down to regular Cyan to see if my battery life will improve. My battery life is a little better with Cyan on top of the dev preview update 1 but it is still terrible compared to the 2nd dev preview update from months ago.

FranBlagru

Sep 7, 2013
Visit site
I'm considering going from update 1 back down to regular Cyan to see if my battery life will improve. My battery life is a little better with Cyan on top of the dev preview update 1 but it is still terrible compared to the 2nd dev preview update from months ago.

But wouldn't you lose all your stuff? :/

WDavis4692

Jun 12, 2014
Visit site
Just to clarify this post is regarding the 1520, not 920, in response to a previous poster who said his 1520 battery disappoints him.

My L1520 highly disappoints me. Got it about 3 days ago and fully charged, it records 1day 15hrs.

The 'estimated time remaining' figure is pretty bull**** anyway. Mine always says 'estimate time remaining 2 days' and 2 days later i'm still above 40% charge. This was yesterday.

Here's a screenshot from right now:

wp_ss_20140909_0001.jpg

11 hours idle and i'm at 87% so that's 1.18% drain/hr while idle.

Well, it's not completely idle as my alarm went off, then I snoozed it as I couldn't be bothered to get out of bed. I snoozed the alarm two or three more times before I finally woke up.

100 / 1.18 = 84.74 hours. That's 3 and a half days idle, not even including battery saver kicking in at 20%.

This is with NFC and motion data off, bluetooth off, but location ON, cortana ON and pinned to start, and about 10-12 background tasks running, including Battery Saver itself, and glance set to peek.

The conclusion must be that the 'estimated battery life remaining' figure is taking into account your previous usage habits; and your typical battery life from previous charges. I'm beginning to reckon that most people's batteries are fine, they just have a bias and expect too much.

Last edited:

uselessrobot

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I think battery life is somewhat better with Cyan, but I'm not positive. At least it hasn't gotten any worse, which is a good thing.

Windows Phone does still have the glitch where some app will get stuck consuming cycles after it's been closed. For me it happens more with games than anything else but I have even had it happen with the Nokia camera app. It's far more likely to happen with heavier app use, otherwise I can go ages without a problem.

I'm really curious to know if this is an OS or a hardware issue. I had the problem from the start and it persists to this day. I've never seen anything like this on my iPad or old Android phone.

aikidaves

May 21, 2014
Visit site
What WDavis4692 said. The estimate appears to be based on a weighted average of recent usage, biased a bit by a default number that's either hard-coded or calculated in the firmware based on the specific hardware (battery and electronics) of the phone. It's a simple statistical prediction, but it can't know how you're actually going to use the phone in the next hours, so it's really just an educated guess. Most of the third-party battery apps appear to get their estimates from the same API that Battery Saver uses, which is why they're always the same. Don't trust any of them to be terribly accurate unless you're a robot whose phone use routine never varies. :grin:

Pastorhss

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
With 8.0, my discharge rate was never more than 3.5%. I'd mostly get than 24 hrs+ worth. Since the 8.1 and 8.1 Update 1 (both this week), I've barely made it to 5:00pm! Discharge rate is 5-7%, and has been in the double digits.

I have turned off all but three backgound tasks. Email syncs hrly. Location, cortana, wifi sense is off. Vibration is off. IE is off.

I've read a lot about the battery, including here. A number of people have said that battery meters actually drain battery (not a problem in 8.0) Others say that after updates, it will take a few days/week for battery to stabilize.

Can anybody give more suggestions? Should I wait a bit? Can I go back to 8.1 or even 8.0???

Thanks,
Reall Upset :eck:

Edit Post Reply Reply With Quote

aikidaves

May 21, 2014
Visit site
Pastorhss, you've obviously done a lot of the recommended correction actions, but you haven't mentioned whether you've done any soft resets, battery recalibrations (run battery down until phone shuts off, then charge to 100%), or if you've tried a hard reset. So, have you tried any of these? I can understand a reluctance to do a hard reset, since it wipes the phone. Reinstalling, whether 8.1 or 8.0, will also wipe the phone. I will say that I think part of the lack of problems with my phone is due to directly installing Cyan and 8.1 using NSRT, rather than backing up to Black/8.0 and running an update. I think most of the problems people encounter are due to issues in the update process, not in the actual firmware and OS. That's just my opinion, of course.

Pastorhss

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
Pastorhss, you've obviously done a lot of the recommended correction actions, but you haven't mentioned whether you've done any soft resets, battery recalibrations (run battery down until phone shuts off, then charge to 100%), or if you've tried a hard reset. So, have you tried any of these? I can understand a reluctance to do a hard reset, since it wipes the phone. Reinstalling, whether 8.1 or 8.0, will also wipe the phone. I will say that I think part of the lack of problems with my phone is due to directly installing Cyan and 8.1 using NSRT, rather than backing up to Black/8.0 and running an update. I think most of the problems people encounter are due to issues in the update process, not in the actual firmware and OS. That's just my opinion, of course.

Thanks for your kind advise. I really want to get this settled. I use my WP very much, for ministry and personal use. And I love the 8.1 and Update 1 features.

I've done soft reset. Yesterday, I let it run down/shut off ... then I charged it, but it was only about 96% when I went to bed. I have not done a hard rest. If I do, what version would I have when it resets? (Right now I have 8.1 and 8.1 Update 1) I think that you're saying that I would go back to 8.0 (Black) and then update using NSRT. Correct? How much info/data would I lose? How would I go about the NSRT?

I feel that I can really trust you. So, I look forward to your response.
Blessings.

aikidaves

May 21, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for your kind advise. I really want to get this settled. I use my WP very much, for ministry and personal use. And I love the 8.1 and Update 1 features.

I've done soft reset. Yesterday, I let it run down/shut off ... then I charged it, but it was only about 96% when I went to bed. I have not done a hard rest. If I do, what version would I have when it resets? (Right now I have 8.1 and 8.1 Update 1) I think that you're saying that I would go back to 8.0 (Black) and then update using NSRT. Correct? How much info/data would I lose? How would I go about the NSRT?

I feel that I can really trust you. So, I look forward to your response.
Blessings.

You trust me? Oh, my...

A hard reset doesn't change the software, it just removes all third-party apps and user data, then gives you the option to restore from your backups when you sign back in to your Microsoft account. So, if you have 8.1 Update 1 before, you will still have 8.1 Update 1 after. If your backup is good and you choose to restore, all of your apps will reinstall, your settings will be recovered, and your start screen customizations will likely come back. Any files on your phone - pictures, music, documents, etc. - will be deleted, so you need to make sure you have them backed up to the cloud (OneDrive or what have you) or a PC so you can get them back. Any user data in apps that don't back it up will also be lost, which means things like game scores and ranks will vanish. Unfortunately, most of those can't be recovered.

The Nokia Software Recovery Tool is an application that you download and install on a PC. It wipes your phone just like a hard reset, but it also replaces the firmware and software on your phone with the 'current production version' for your specific model and variant, per Microsoft Mobile's records. This may be Black firmware and WP 8.0, or it may have recently been updated to Cyan firmware and WP 8.1 (saves a lot of work if it's this one). When it's done, you may still have to run update to bring the phone to the most current version released for your variant, and then you'll have to install and enable the Preview for Developers app if you want to bring it up to DP Update 1 again. You can then hard reset and restore to get back as much of what you have now as you can, same deal as with the hard reset above.

Before you do either of these, make sure your backups are good. Go into Settings, backup, and manually run the apps+settings backup, then check to be sure you have backup turned on for text messages. Lastly, make sure you have all your files copied off to the cloud or a PC.

Please ask if you have any more questions or if any of this isn't clear. Good luck!

Pastorhss

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
You trust me? Oh, my...

A hard reset doesn't change the software, it just removes all third-party apps and user data, then gives you the option to restore from your backups when you sign back in to your Microsoft account. So, if you have 8.1 Update 1 before, you will still have 8.1 Update 1 after. If your backup is good and you choose to restore, all of your apps will reinstall, your settings will be recovered, and your start screen customizations will likely come back. Any files on your phone - pictures, music, documents, etc. - will be deleted, so you need to make sure you have them backed up to the cloud (OneDrive or what have you) or a PC so you can get them back. Any user data in apps that don't back it up will also be lost, which means things like game scores and ranks will vanish. Unfortunately, most of those can't be recovered.

The Nokia Software Recovery Tool is an application that you download and install on a PC. It wipes your phone just like a hard reset, but it also replaces the firmware and software on your phone with the 'current production version' for your specific model and variant, per Microsoft Mobile's records. This may be Black firmware and WP 8.0, or it may have recently been updated to Cyan firmware and WP 8.1 (saves a lot of work if it's this one). When it's done, you may still have to run update to bring the phone to the most current version released for your variant, and then you'll have to install and enable the Preview for Developers app if you want to bring it up to DP Update 1 again. You can then hard reset and restore to get back as much of what you have now as you can, same deal as with the hard reset above.

Before you do either of these, make sure your backups are good. Go into Settings, backup, and manually run the apps+settings backup, then check to be sure you have backup turned on for text messages. Lastly, make sure you have all your files copied off to the cloud or a PC.

Please ask if you have any more questions or if any of this isn't clear. Good luck!

Ok. So I'll download the NSRT. Then I may wait a few days to see if things stablize. Or maybe not. Be on the lookout. Either way, I'll let you know.

Thanks.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss