i only have 5 (mytube, facebook, wpcentral, battery saver, and cortana) apps running in the background, location and bluetooth are off, i don't have skype, and the screen is off most times when i'm listening to music. i'm trying to limit my video watching also. doing this still leave me with only 8-9 hours of life (according to battery saver). is anyone else having this problem after the cyan/8.1 update?
    09-07-2014 06:12 PM
    i only have 5 (mytube, facebook, wpcentral, battery saver, and cortana) apps running in the background, location and bluetooth are off, i don't have skype, and the screen is off most times when i'm listening to music. i'm trying to limit my video watching also. doing this still leave me with only 8-9 hours of life (according to battery saver). is anyone else having this problem after the cyan/8.1 update?
    That's VERY FUNNY ! (SMH)
    rdubmu and ttsoldier like this.
    09-07-2014 06:48 PM
    That's VERY FUNNY ! (SMH)
    How is that funny?
    09-07-2014 06:59 PM
    How is that funny?
    If you don't know ... NO ONE can help you.
    Is it possible those words that I bolded (in RED) were for a reason ?
    Did you check Battery Saver for consumers of battery ?
    How much music ?
    Streamed or on your phone ?
    WiFi or Cellular data ?
    Facebook - really ? Push ?
    09-07-2014 07:24 PM
    Is that what battery saver is saying? If so, that's because its giving the estimated time left based on your current usage. That time will go up when your phone is idling after whatever minutes.

8-9hrs of usage time for a 2000mah battery is descent.
    09-07-2014 07:43 PM
    Soft reset your phone after every update.
    09-07-2014 07:49 PM
    Is that what battery saver is saying? If so, that's because its giving the estimated time left based on your current usage. That time will go up when your phone is idling after whatever minutes.

8-9hrs of usage time for a 2000mah battery is descent.
    The problem is that before the update I would get 10-12 hours with moderate use. After the update I would get 6 hours while using it as much as before. Then I started turning things off, which got me to 8 hours
    09-07-2014 08:38 PM
    The problem is that before the update I would get 10-12 hours with moderate use. After the update I would get 6 hours while using it as much as before. Then I started turning things off, which got me to 8 hours
    Still FUNNY '... with moderate use ... '

so, your Battery lasts from say 7:00am to 4:00pm ?
    09-07-2014 09:23 PM
    Are you basing this on observed battery life, i.e. the time from when you unplug the charger at 100% to the time the phone switches off, or are you basing it on Battery Saver's prediction? If the latter, when was the last time you recalibrated your battery - ran it down until the phone shut off, then charged it to 100%? Lithium ion batteries need to be calibrated every few months or the percentages reported, and therefore the prediction algorithms, gradually drift away from reality. Don't do it too frequently, as it will cause battery deterioration, but once in a while is necessary.

All other things being equal, 8.1/Cyan is supposed to give better battery life than 8.1/Black, although I'm not expecting a miracle. I don't have a good basis for comparison to 8.0, although some suggest they should be in the same ballpark when set up similarly, whereas others say 8.1 is a bit worse. If it's a lot worse, something's wrong, prompting solutions such as soft resets, battery recalibrations, opening each of your apps and making sure it's properly set up, etc. Also, check in Battery Saver for what's using the most power - might be an app that needs to be uninstalled and reinstalled.

On 8.1.1 DP/Black, I was getting real 100% to 0% times of 18 to 36 hours on a charge, based on Battery Saver's predictions when I put the phone on the charger after 15 or 16 hours (NOT when I took it off the charger). I've only had Cyan for 2 days, so not sure how it's going to compare yet. So far, might be a little better, probably not worse.
    Pete The Penguin and xandros9 like this.
    09-07-2014 09:37 PM
    I agree with the Op, even after calibration, my 720 gets me around 10 hrs or so
    09-07-2014 09:40 PM
    Hey, I love myTube, but I know that it might eat your battery if it runs in the background. Left my phone overnight with it being the only app running in the background, woke up to see battery discharge rate jumping from 1.5 percent to 8 percent. Checked Battery Saver and its usage was through the roof.
    09-07-2014 11:23 PM
    With the size of your battery and what you are doing, that sounds normal for usage. I would consider what you are using your device for would be moderate to heavy usage.
    09-07-2014 11:30 PM
    Apologies for cross-posting my L920 battery life experience, but as I mentioned in another thread:

I get wildly varying battery performance on my 920.

At the end of the day yesterday, I turned off all but one background task (Bing Weather), turned off location, NFC, Bluetooth and ensured no apps were running (long press of back button showed the Start screen only).

Battery life was 48% at 22:30 when I went to sleep, woke up early and checked my phone, at 04:30 it had gone down to 30%.

As I had difficulty going back to sleep, I looked at a Twitter and read numerous articles on the web referred to in my Twitter timeline.

At 06:30, after my screen being on for 2 hours of constant browsing, the battery had dropped down to 8%.

I'm a bit confused that by not using it at all, no apps and only 1 background task it went down 18% in 6 hours, and with 2 hours of constant use it went down 22%.

I'm on the post-Cyan dev preview, UK country variant ROM.
    09-08-2014 01:10 AM
    I'm a bit confused that by not using it at all, no apps and only 1 background task it went down 18% in 6 hours, and with 2 hours of constant use it went down 22%.
    3% per hour on standby is about what my 920 (US AT&T, Cyan/8.1.1 DP) gets. 11% per hour in moderate to heavy screen usage is also about right.

Remember, it isn't just tasks that you can control that use battery on standby. The radios, at least the voice radio, have to do some polling, the clock has to run, and the minimal functions of the OS need to tick over. Then when you start doing things, the screen draws power, the CPU has to do more work, etc., etc. The 920 doesn't have a very large battery for the power that its hardware draws, so it doesn't have a lot of endurance.
    thegooner likes this.
    09-08-2014 08:31 AM
    I also posted in the other Cyan thread, but I'm going back down to regular Cyan from Cyan + Update 1 to see if battery life improves at all. If it doesn't, I'm going back to Update 1. So far, my battery life is just as bad as it was without and 8.1.1, if not worse.
    09-08-2014 08:42 AM
    Battery saver on my 1020 do not dims the brightness nor it puts the capacive buttons light off. Anyone else having such problem??
    09-08-2014 08:44 AM
    3% per hour on standby is about what my 920 (US AT&T, Cyan/8.1.1 DP) gets. 11% per hour in moderate to heavy screen usage is also about right.
    I appreciate the explanation, it does make sense now you put it like that. Thanks!
    09-08-2014 10:19 AM
    Are you basing this on observed battery life, i.e. the time from when you unplug the charger at 100% to the time the phone switches off, or are you basing it on Battery Saver's prediction? If the latter, when was the last time you recalibrated your battery - ran it down until the phone shut off, then charged it to 100%? Lithium ion batteries need to be calibrated every few months or the percentages reported, and therefore the prediction algorithms, gradually drift away from reality. Don't do it too frequently, as it will cause battery deterioration, but once in a while is necessary.

All other things being equal, 8.1/Cyan is supposed to give better battery life than 8.1/Black, although I'm not expecting a miracle. I don't have a good basis for comparison to 8.0, although some suggest they should be in the same ballpark when set up similarly, whereas others say 8.1 is a bit worse. If it's a lot worse, something's wrong, prompting solutions such as soft resets, battery recalibrations, opening each of your apps and making sure it's properly set up, etc. Also, check in Battery Saver for what's using the most power - might be an app that needs to be uninstalled and reinstalled.

On 8.1.1 DP/Black, I was getting real 100% to 0% times of 18 to 36 hours on a charge, based on Battery Saver's predictions when I put the phone on the charger after 15 or 16 hours (NOT when I took it off the charger). I've only had Cyan for 2 days, so not sure how it's going to compare yet. So far, might be a little better, probably not worse.
    it's an approximate observation on my part. the decrease in battery life is very noticeable compare to what i had with the black update (which i used heavily).
    09-08-2014 12:34 PM
    I don't know if it will help, but I unpinned Cortana and I think I'm back at almost/just about pre-8.1 battery life. (although I'm on H/H+ instead of LTE now)
    Although still checking, I might have flipped something else, but I think that was it.
    09-08-2014 08:05 PM
    I have also started having some pretty big battery drain issues on my 920 after the latest update. I used to average around 5% to 10% per hour and with the same usage it's now using 20 to 25% per hour. I have done a hard reset and it didn't seem to help. When I look at the app usage it shows internet explorer as the big culprit.
    09-08-2014 08:08 PM
    Also a quick question did you restore when you reflashed back to Cyan?
    09-09-2014 11:24 AM